1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Current India Better To Live Than Abroad ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

No Nuss. It's not. We were earning well and living well but there were others who struggled. Two teachers can still afford all the basic luxuries in the US(mortgage, car, some small luxuries etc), even though teachers are underpaid. Two teachers in India cannot afford a good lifestyle. The disparity is more.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Oh yesss! Fruit stall friend. How dare I forget him.
    "Madam, aap Ka driver aya hai aur grapes aur apple liya. Main rambutan bhej raja hoon. Paise agle baar deejiye. Koyi baat nahi. Madam text Karke boliyega kaisa tha".
    All while I'm sitting in office.

I tell you amazon fresh comes nowhere close to the same level of service.

Same holds for medical store guy who would call from downstairs to check if the baby has run out of diapers/milk powder. I also loved the grocery store, dry cleaners, just books, other grocery store, all sorts of instructors for kids, gym and classes, work out buddies, pool amenities, plumber/electrician on call etc. I clubbed it all under "community living" in my post.

3. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Moral support vary in family

blissofmylife and Doree like this.
  4. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

True ... but in life and death situation or hospitalizations there will be some support within families atleast from parents and siblings

Mistt and Sunshine04 like this.
  5. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

I agree, kids do find it difficult to adjust to the Indian systen after moving back to India from the US. I dont recommend doing that, if possible. But the good students eventually pick up. With a little support from parents and teachers. Those who cannot, complain. I am sure they have a tough time getting used to the grading system. Which is what I have problems with.

The US education system was/is not designed keeping in mind the temporary immigrants. It is the responsibility of the parents to make sure they prepare their kids accordingly, if they have plans to move back to India. during the initial years, the US education might not be good enough for science as others mentioned. But again, in a few years, they make up for it. There are schools (middle school) for science and math along with other subjects for those who are interested. They are quite good.

No offence, but the Indian system needs to be revised. In the age of calculators, the children are made to learn multiplication tables by-heart. Pushing kids to learn byheart everything without showing them how and where the concepts are applied is not what a good system must be doing. BTW, you might be an exception. I was talking about the lakhs and lakhs of students who graduate every year just by mugging up answers to the last few years of question papers. Learning to adapt is not taught by the education system I believe. If thats the case, then why isn't everyone (or atleast a few of them) graduating from the Indian Universities, like someone said in one of the posts, not winning nobel prizes for India? Not even a single modern research organization is based out of India? How many world famous scientists are from India?

Which school or university ( except the very very few good ones ) in India takes care to prepare a question paper that actually tests the skill of the student and not just their memory? Can you please list a few? Can you find answers to those questions on the internet? I am sure those who went to US universities agree with me on how difficult and time consuming the coursework can get and how it actually tests a student on every concept taught in the class. You cannot find solutions on the internet and you cannot copy from your peers as well.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    blissofmylife and Sunshine04 like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Has anyone been in touch with some of the students from Indian schools and colleges in real life at present?? How many of you have talked to kids who cracked CMi maths paper or iit jee's or have you talked to children who are passionate about pure sciences.

And multiplication by heart in the age of calculators, check these kids please

Priyanshi Somani - Wikipedia

Well I know for sure I will be bashed for arguing for Indian kids. The point is I have my own axe to grind with regards to the Indian education system that leaves a lot wanting. But there is a percentage of children and parents who do make it work and yes my kids learnt photosynthesis and keyboard circuits and electrical switches and fuses by watching it done practically by me. it was possible only because I had great teachers and I learnt and still learn.

Yes I do agree owing to the population (I can't pull out the data but I think it works roughly to 1000/sq.m India and 30/sq.m us. ) it is not at all possible to have the best schools but many schools are doing the best from the existing facilities and teachers.

and please just for the sake of debate let us not bash or club all teachers nad professors in India into one. There are some great teachers under whom kids want to study. Yes there are best apples and the good and the bad apples nad is it not the same everywhere.

And if there are kids who have risen to heights in their post grad and doctoral studies after coming to the us, it was the basics, passion, focus And go for it that they learn struggling and competing in the race.

This 15-Year Old Genius Boy's Inventions Are So Good You'll Be Amazed At How He Thinks! - The Better India
    7 Brilliant Young Indian Students who Won Awards at the Prestigious Intel Science Fair - The Better India
    Young Inventors of India

The ug in India brings a focus in the kid because of the structured curriculum. And don't just go by the engineering grads.

Want of a better platform and encouragement are couple of reasons why some kids are not able to make it big in india. While for every 100 there may be 50% that would be taking the facilities and resources for granted in the us.

Let us be happy with our choices instead of pulling down others choices. The one who can go for it and the rest work hard with what is available.

7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

. I can speak more but what little anonymity is there will be lost. But yes if u are from some of the premier research institutes in India like Mat sciences/IISc/JNC/TIFR/Raman Institute..u r are trained well. The why/ what/ how ...the whole enchilada. Yes Indian research institutes are not ur Princeton/Stanford/MIT..resources are tight..professors struggle to get what little is available,..Its harder to go to conferences..even registration fees let alone travel for most of them were/are unaffordable....that I grant u..one of the reasons why I strongly recommend higher education in US ..but not because of the training techniques...its because of the funding and exposure available. These are two different things.
    Mine. At my grad school all exams were open book. . Quite a few were even take home/hostel but we were not supposed to talk to our class mates. Then there was this gutsy prof who gave us 24 hrs open discussion/open anything exam. YEs it was pre-google but library was open. I honestly don't think it would have mattered one bit. End of the 24 hrs I have given him unsolved problems with nothing but my scratch pad. I was graded on that . Many of my friends who have finished their ph.ds here in the US have gone back as faculty . Yes there are some issues ..red tape..money is tight to set up labs...but the training they provide their students is still stellar. The best one can do under the circumstances. Do we have a long way to go..absolutely..but I wouldn't be so quick to write off an entire system.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

What realy pains me @justanothergirl is the way the education in india is being nullified in this thread.

One of the courses my dd completed is so tough with a pass percentage of 2% and i know people who do the usa one of the same and take the membership from the indian counterpart because usa exams are easier. So what is seen from the other side is not always right. Neither can I bash us based on what i read or see.
    I respect the education system that encourages anf gives grants. Many struggle to get a % of the grant ,even if the idea is great in india. Sadly that is what drives many good students and innovators away from india.

Why don't we give credit where it is due..
    If the education was so bad we would not be having university bodies of german or us talking to students in universities in india. I am sure of what i am stating because they did come to my son's university and no my son is not into engg.

And i should add that it is not even the top rated one if you go by university ranking lists(which i will take with a pinch of salt) and is a government one. Had to add this or somebody would raise a point that the management brought them in..

9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I have a huge issue with the grading system in the US esp in high schools. I will take ur 10th or 12th board exams in india graded by an anonymous examiner with a common question paper for all any day. In the US ur kid is basically at the mercy of the high school teacher. With most of the public school teachers tenured/part of union....parents and kids have no choice but to put up with their arbitrariness.
    Two classes of the same course in the same school handled by two teachers can have entirely diff level of complexity both in grading and content. That and if for whatever reason ur child is not in the good books of the teacher ...u are pretty much doomed.

10. Elsa

Elsa Gold IL'ite

I dont understand why everyone here has issues with looking at facts objectively. According to me, given a chance, I would like to start all over again and go for a top rated University ( atleast for higher education). By top rated I mean one of the top 25-50 in the world. Numbers do not lie. There are a number of universities from east asian countries but not Indian. When it comes to my career and my kids career, I am not going to take a chance, of course, if given a chance.

You can argue as much as you want to. Nothing wrong in it.

@justanothergirl : I guess we went to the same school for undergrad or grad. The exam pattern sounds similar.

But the very fact that someone said that there is a long way to go, sums it up. No one can force anyone here to persue their studies in US or India or for that matter any where else in the world. I thought its just a good thing to know. I was talking about the final products from Indian universities, and you talk about elementary school and middle school. I start taking about the elementary and middle school and then someone talks about adjusting and adapting. I talk about how most end up doing the routine jobs and you talk about incomes. I have written whatever I had to. I am sure no one here would want to plan their or their kids future based on these posts. Identifying that there is an issue or shortcoming is the first step towards solving it or addressing it. whatever said and done, there is a long way to go. I rest my case. Peace!

Good luck every one!

anika987 likes this.