1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is The Current India Better To Live Than Abroad ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by anika987, Jun 15, 2017.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Kids who go to schools here in the US and then move back to India also struggle. Not because they are not good enough or because the system did prepare them well..its more because they are not used to the system.

When Indian students come here..they falter a bit..but they eventually navigate the education system here and manage just fine . Something must be right about the system that makes sure we dont just learn our ABCs ,123s but learn how to learn and adapt.

About not getting ur basics straight in Indian schools..I dont buy that one bit. I am 100% home grown product.
    IF there is one thing that is rock solid ..its my basics . Can derive every damn equation I use from first principles.

blessings1010, Naari and vaidehi71 like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Looks like this has become a hot thread. : ) anika, you have a knack with topics yaar : )
    Yes. The science curriculum is not structured. English (language arts, reading, writing) and math are done well, but science is almost taught as an afterthought in elementary school. It depends on the teacher mostly. If you take the textbook by itself, it does have some structure, and if the activities, labs, explorations it suggests, are done, then some structure might form. But, teachers have to or choose to devote less time to science.

Also, if you read the actual text - for example, descriptions of rocks, minerals, earthquake faults, electricity concepts, magnetism, plant cell anatomy, periodic table basics, animal migration, food-chain, ecosystem.. it is not well-explained. Starting with 4th grade itself, teachers kind of expect child to read by themselves. And, often, major parts of the textbook are left not taught. It works out OK because the topics repeat in middle school, and again in high school.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    blissofmylife, vaidehi71 and anika987 like this.
  3. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@JAG- Well, what I have experienced and number of my friends and now my own post-doc, we learned "how" things work not "why" things work the way they work. It is very important in science especially in molecular biology where things change rapidly. If you know how to do cloning but don't know what is the function of a particular enzyme in a reaction- you can not come up with a new protocol. That is where we lack. A driven student can fill these gaps by studying harder and being open to learn but I stand on my point that science education especially the higher education (college level) needs improvement.

On the other hand, most Indian students can easily make conversions without a calculator. Moles and molars don't confuse us...so might be math is not a problem.

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

And English.... they're/their/there, you're/your, are/our ... the mistakes I see people here make on these.... :-o

blissofmylife and nuss like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I liked the school in India better. Colleges in the US for sure. Life in India. Money in the US. Community in India. Safety in the US. Life is very colorful in India. Work is well balanced in the US. I prefer the cultural aspects in India. I like the social acceptance for disabilities in the US. I think kids are street smart and adaptable in India. I think kids are focused earlier on in the US. I think my daughter would have benefitted more from living there and coming here. Living here and going anywhere isn't all that easy. My son is better off here. He doesn't need any other country.

Does this all make sense?

Added - My fav is the driver/cook/nanny/maid availability. I drove close to 100 miles yesterday and almost lost it. Wish I had that luxury.

6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

yes.this is good in india

blissofmylife and Laks09 like this.
  7. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

Leaving aside education pollution food or any other living standards when in critical family crisis if all our family is in India handling something similar in US by oneself is not easy (still doable, but hardest ) and at the same time we all know where excellent medical care is easily accessible.

In short I like moral support that is available in India while medical facilities available in US

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

That's the list? Where is my favourite cable guy in the list. This happens only in India ...

"Arey baba, I don't need a cable"
    "But mam, please, your flat is the only one which does not have a cable connection from us."
    "But I don't stay here, so I don't need a cable."
    "Are you going with the cable connection from that other provider?"
    "What part of I don't stay here don't you get?
    "Please take the cable from us."
    "But I don't want any cable connection. I don't even watch TV"
    "But you have a TV, so take it."
    "Arey that TV, my mom bought for me in some Diwali bumper offer. I never switch it on also."
    "Please take it. Don't pay us, if you are not staying. But just take the cable."

So there is a cable at my place that I don't operate during my holidays and the cable wala never comes to collect the fee. Such intriguing favours happen only in India.

9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Yes. My babysitter always writes "your" when she really means "you're". She is an American :)

10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Now-a-days, money is almost equal in India and US (considering cost of living). Integrity and respect at workplace is something I really value in the USA. My children are half Indian although they look Caucasian, they attract a lot of unwanted stares in India.
    A driver and cook would have bben nice specially now as my parents are visiting and I am running between home and office all day.

blissofmylife and Laks09 like this.