1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is t that only i feel like this...Arent Saree Prices Sky Rocketing

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by brahan, Dec 28, 2011.

1. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Recently i went to a popular shop in Bangalore to buy some Sarees on occassion of my Wedding Anniversary. My Preference was something very simple , but elegant, A mix of Both tradition and designer..The Salesperson showed me a saree (Jute Silk...somthing i have never heard off). The colour was something like Peacock blue with a simple line Border (Golden-tested Zari and about half an Inch Thickness) below...Nothing More and the price was 5K. I had to check my eyes to see if it was 5K or 500..Not only that saree most of the simple sarees she showed me was way too out priced. Is this the Trend now???I havent purchased Silk Saree off Late(3 + years) and found that the sarees today are over Priced????

I agree that Gold and Silver rates have inflated out of Proportion but that should impact only Pure Zari Sarees...What about the saree that i described above???Its neither Pure Silk nor does it have a trace of pure Gold or Silver in it(tested Zari)...Guys ...am i the only one who feel that Silk Sarees are too much out Priced???

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

You are right. Prices are gone up too much. I haven't done sari shoping directly for more than 3 years. But my friend does shopping in Madras and Bangalore for me. I got couple of Jute silks for 3500 but no zari. Someone gave me a silk sari as a gift. I heard it is Aranni Pattu. It is so bad. costs 2500. There are so many silks and it is difficult to keep up with trends. Even Silk cotton is gone up.
    Can you let me know what did you buy?
    Happy Anniversary!!!!!!

3. BhoomikaDhare

BhoomikaDhare Silver IL'ite

Its not only silk saree... even ordinary sarees are getting costlier these days... if we want to buy a simple saree for a casual function it'll cost you not less that 3K. And silk sarees.. my god.. 30K to 50K for a wedding saree. Whom ever i ask they say they bought a 30K,35K saree for their wedding. I personally feel investing so much for a saree which you hardly use once or twice in your whole life is not worth.

4. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Well Said bhumika...30K is too much price for a saree which we hardly use.....I have lost interest towards silk sarees...

5. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Coffeelover,

Thanks for the Anniversary Wishes. I finally settled wit a Pure Designer Saree. It is in Bottle Green Colour (Satin Material) with nice Kundan work... Not Simple but not too grand..I got this in SOCH. It s price is 4K.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

brahan,
    happy anniversary.

Soch is costly. but cost of living has increased by leap and bounds. you can find that trickling to things like your undergarments.

Fabindia kurthas that used to be priced at 450 are now at 700..nothing below that. or maybe say 699.. the same with westside.

as others say you do get simple saree..but that is not to our liking..if you are choosy about style, the color combo and the elegance, you need to pay more, be it in the regular local textile showroom or hi-end showrooms.

but all said, you do get some nice sarees in the 800-2000brackets, though not silk..

1 person likes this.
  7. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Shanvy,

Thanks for stepping In. Yes Soch is pretty Costly. But after visiting the First shop (DEEPAM) i found SOCH to be relatively cheaper. Atleast for the 4K i paid the saree is worth for every penny. It has full work (Kundan) and looks good too....I guess Sarees would be relatively cheaper in chennai as compared to bangalore..Oh!!! I miss Nalli and Kumaran :( :(

1 person likes this.
  8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Brahan,
    I agree with you, though i dont have much of an experience in saree shopping, with the little that i have, I have found Chennai way too cheaper than bangalore for sarees. 2years back when i visited Soch for a saree, a simple jute saree with not much work costed aroun 3K. Am not sure,but someone told me jute silk is costly. Last i did saree shopping was a year back at kalaniketan, all sarees were way too priced.One saree which i liked,of georgette material and average work was around 6K!!! But since am naive in that field I thought sarees are always pricey. But when you think of it, you can use a saree for years where as your churidhar or suit only for a few years.

9. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

There is a nalli showroom in M.G.Road. But have never visited , so not sure whether they have the same price as that of Chennai showroom.

10. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Nowadays the inflation hit is so bad that all the prices are beyond reason. Jeans for a 6 yr old costs 1k +!!

Silk sarees are following that route too... will be great if we can buy sarees from a reliable source instead of these showrooms which charge us a bomb.