1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Professional Help Needed

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by MSree, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thought-provoking posts with many factors and suggestions for OP to consider.

Based on OP's description, I simply agree with BB's two posts.
    Yes to both the sentences. Along with parents who consider consulting any mental health professionals as taboo and a judgement on their parenting, there are parents who consider any departure from the "normal" ABCD kid as reason to seek professional help. CF should consider the option of on/near campus counselling from professionals trained to identify typical CF issues. Parents can encourage CF to do this. Making him take the help when CF doesn't think it is needed won't help CF.

Yes. After re-reading OP's post and your first post, I think one daily check-in text or parent accessing student portal are not needed and will not help such a CF. It might put parent (in particular mom) at ease but is not good for CF in the long run.

You would make a good mediator between college age ABCD kids and their parents. : )

2. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Rihana,
    I still say err on the side of caution.
    I think we need to be very careful here when we respond to a situation like this. Are you or me going to take responsibility if tomorrow the kid was truly depressed and tries to end his or her life ?
    Categorically stating the kid does not seem depressed or can seek help on his own is a bit irresponsible. How many depressed people actually seek help ? Not everyone. Specially a teenager that is on his own in the middle of a busy semester. Depression saps you of all energy, including the motivation to seek help.
    Couple of years back, my colleague lost her freshman to depression. She was in denial all along and she now wishes she could have helped.

3. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

especially make sure none is associated with any medical problems.

In the case I wrote about the child who later went to med school, ended up having serious neurological problems 12 years later. Knowing there was some issue with the neurological system helped them to keep an eye. Still, it took another 6 years before the real problem was diagnosed in spite of the fact, by that time, he himself was a doctor and surrounded by doctors. Denial is very real whether the person is a medical professional or not; This can push things and leads to procrastination.

After you mentioned about losing child to depression, I know of 3 cases (all CFs). Not that I am trying to scare anyone. It is better to check out things than be sorry. Someone with depression will either not admit or believe that they can handle themselves even when truly they need help.

All the incidence that I know of are the kids who grew up and raised here. I don't know of any such problems with students who came from India to attend college here.

I have seen the CHRIS HANSEN show where lots of Indian students who came here for higher studies were caught and got into legal problems. That was due to cultural ignorance. When my nephews came we talked about it because if we didn't no body would. That is all together a different issue.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    SinghManisha, Thyagarajan and MSree like this.
  4. MSree

MSree Bronze IL'ite

@Topaz49 thanks for taking time to help the parent(s) out. It definitely helps a lot to understand what’s normal and acceptable and where parents should intervene or help. For now parents are trying to step back and give CF the space they look forward to and it’s helping CF to come around too. Will definitely look into counseling options at college if CF needs more help. Cant thank you all enough.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. MSree

MSree Bronze IL'ite

@BhumiBabe your first hand experience will definitely help the parent and the college freshman to exactly understand what some may go through in this phase of life. Thanks for taking time to provide helpful information. CF is pretty independent and is handling their own needs and responsibilities. It’s the withdrawal that was a cause of concern. After almost half the vacation is over CF is slowly coming around. Parent has no choice but to step back and wait. will definitely ask CF to seek help at campus if need be.

BhumiBabe, Sunshine04 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. MSree

MSree Bronze IL'ite

This is so helpful for the concerned parent. Thanks so much

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. MSree

MSree Bronze IL'ite

@SinghManisha Thanks for the helpful resources. Will look into them.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. MSree

MSree Bronze IL'ite

CF is pretty independent. Calls are once a week or sometimes once in 2 weeks and no video calls. As I said before short text messages are shared at the end of day and parent sends a message if there’s been no text for 8-12 hrs straight(when not sleeping). One parent ( concerned one) has never visited campus after initial drop off. I guess parents are doing their best to adjust to the transition and probably should give more space and let CF be.

9. MSree

MSree Bronze IL'ite

Thank you. Prayers and blessings helps.

10. MSree

MSree Bronze IL'ite

will definitely let the cool parent do the talking and see what CF says.

Thyagarajan likes this.