1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Pen Mightier Than The Sword?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, May 29, 2018.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

This is one of the quotes that has made me rack my brains, “Pen is mightier thn sword”. You mean it is easier to ri9ght people down than fight them down.? If someone rushes at yu with a seord if you show your pen he would cow down.

But how relevant is this quote nowadays? We are licving in a world where the pen is no longer used for writing and the sword for fighting, unless it is the fencing sword used for sports or ISIS or al Qaeda sword used for making people sortr by a head for politely begging to differ from them.

And oh pen, what can one say about it? What a fall it has had! From an instrument that people suspected was naughtier than the sword, it has almost beome a mere fadson accessory. It is not used even to sign the sheet the courier boy gives you after delivering the goods because courier bouy don’t give papers now. All of them have a gizmo on which you are supposed to sign with something which remotely resembles a pen but is not.

Ganted kids, at least in the ;less developed countries write exams anfd do homeworks with pens? But how long? I suspect even this is on thre way out. Smartphones anf laptops might replace pens in the near future. Even on TV you don’t see the ballpoint pen ads in which Sachin Tendulkar jumps out of nowhere to promote a pen brand.

Pens have become meaningless status accessories in the higher echelons of society. Showing off a couple og Mont Blancs in your coat pockets is an indicatiuon that you have plenty of money to waste
    In such a situation pen is mightier than sword? Pah!!!!

True you can’t use your pen to behead people at least swords serve that purpose.. I haven’t touched a pen for ages thanks to my keyboard.

But wait, pen is indeed mightier than the sword so pleasw ignore my earlier “Pah!”.To understand this let us go to a country cousin of Napoleon who is reported to hacve said pen is mightier than the sword.—Michael de Montaigne.

“Scratching is one of the sweetest gratifications of nature and as readty at hand as any” the famous philosopher-essayist has said. So what does old Mike ((He deserves our contempt for stating the obvious and not only familiarity breeds contempt but contempt also breeds familiarity. Hence Michael de Montaigne to Mike) got to do with swords and pens.?

Sctaching is ndeed a pleasurable activity but it is not always an easy activity. There are parts of body where your hand can’t go or go only with difficulty to scratch. Dot get ideas, I mean your back.

Npw let me get a bit cateist. The Brahmins have certain privileges one of which happens to be the so-called sacred thread (so-called for unbelieving lapsed Brahmins like me). It is a very flexible tool for scratching your back. You can m,ove it any which way and it will go where no hand has ever gone before to provide you one of the sweetest gratifications of nature.

But what do lesser mortals without thread or those who have thrown the thread away for good like me do? Here’s is where pen comes into picture. It eases the trouble of scratching your back. You can take it to corners of your back where your hand can’t reach on its own to provide old Mike’s pleasurable activity. It is high time for a TV ad in which Sachin happily scratches his back with a ballpoint pen and endorses it has the best back scratched.

How does that make pen mightier than the sword? Well if you don’t believe that adage, all you have to do is to substitute pen with sword for Monsieur de Montaigne’s (well it is high time the guy got some respect)) sweetest gratification and let me know the results.

Maayon likes this.

2. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,
    This adage has become outdated now.
    Once upon a time having a Parker pen was deemed prestigious. After the invention of ballpoint pens fountain pens vanished from the market.
    Even the ballpoint pen is used only to sign a cheque or to sign the report cards of the students by parents.
    Sword also has become out dated as grenades, petrol bombs and guns had taken its place. Perhaps in historical movies sword is used for fighting.
    Political wars are fought in the media channels by motormouthed politicians in high pitched voice tearing our eardrums.
    PS

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

I looked up the meaning of the phrase - "The pen is mightier than the sword" means a person can cause people to change their opinions(e.g., to fight a war)and on a large scale whereas a sword can only change a person's opinion by force and then often only results in the person's death." All one has to do is look at the comment section of any article and one realizes there are more pens with opinions (for/against) than the one that has originally penned something for the first time, trying to offer an opinion. Perhaps it is the effect the keyboard and not a pen by itself. As I practice cursive with my students, I realize the effects of writing slow and deliberately, both in me and my students. I often tell my students with the advent of other modes of transportation, as walking has taken a back seat unless we make a conscious effort and have walkathons, so will we with writing, writing marathons - using pens and joke that I am preparing them for the same :biggrin:. All jokes apart, reading editorial in The Hindu with a cup of coffee is something I cannot even imagine to have with my own kids. On the bright side, calligraphy is gaining some popularity and some of the fanciest and best pens (including the feathered ones) are available and such a high price. Perhaps, pen has been reduced to mere handwriting, that too if one wishes!

bmaquarius likes this.
  4. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Bala ji, keyboard might have taken the job of a pen, but its own job is at peril due to the aggression of mobile phone. Mobile phone has alread eaten out the jobs of watch, calculator, torch, CD player, calendar etc etc. Now, the young generation is using mobile phones for internet related activities. In fact, I myself for the last 5 years have been using mobile phones to write these feedbacks and unofficial emails.

ratan likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

For scratching your back, pen is not the best instrument. Nowadays, we have a long plastic and metal hand-like back scratch tool available and we have plenty of them at home here in the US bought from India. I do wear sacred thread but don't use it for back-scratch as it has holy Gayatri knot. The sacred thread is supposed to reduce the feeling that "I am the body" and I don't want to use it to scratch the body. :)

Having said that, the new adage must be "Keyboard is mightier than Assault Rifle". Everyone communicates electronically nowadays. But what kind of impact people like Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr, Adolf Hitler and Mussolini have done with their verbal and written communications. Some used for the purpose to unite while others used effectively to divide people.

A country like China which curtails email communication, if it is against communism and the ruling party, the best way to communicate with Chinese about liberation is to throw printed pamphlets (using of ink is also equivalent of using a pen in printing) from the plane. The US government used it effectively in Iraq, Libya, Syria and Afghanistan to fight against Saddam Hussain's rule, Gaddafi's rule, Bashaar Assad's rule, Al-Qaeda and ISIS rules. Don't forget Nelson Mandela spent 28 years in prison but he kept the freedom struggle against Apartheid regime only through his writings.

When Balajee writes about Atheism or Viswa writes about Religions or Spirituality, both have equal effect in IL because of the power of their respective keyboards. Keyboards remain neutral to any belief system. Even if Al-Qaeda or ISIS want to motivate the terrorists to use IEDs, they use their keyboards to send coded messages. Even Precision-guided missiles targeted against the terrorists are ordered through the instructions given through encrypted keyboard messages.

If you like to test the power of the keyboard, you really need to write a post in Relationship Forum much against the popular belief.

Viswa

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Balajee likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Idea in the thread perhaps is to emphasise pen or sword both or obsolete and should no longer to have currency.
    2. Ok ok pen is obsolete and therefore the question of discussing its present hold or might is not need of the hour. Replacement or substitutes are aplenty. Perhaps one would like to say mobile (smart phone) is mightier than AK-47 or 57!
    3. At any rate the post and further discussion on it ar3 thought provoking. It is said that in TAMILNADU - DMK came to power only with power of pen. But they themselves no longer depend on pen.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God grant us Godspeed in our earnest endeavour.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Very true in an age when pens are slowly losing their ground to the keyboard, the adage as
    ishwa says should be keyboard is mightier than rifle".. As for parker pens why, any kind of fountain pens we don't see them much these days. If anyone flaunts a parker h as a status symbol, he/she would be laughed at. Pems like Mont Blanc re still used s status symbols. but their role in writing has come down drastically. I used to see bvzallpoint pen ads on TV until a couple of years ago but even they seem to have disappeared We are definitely living in the age of keyboards. We are azll trapped in the worldwide web.B

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Hindu columns with coffee? Sabitha, I have A house in a TN city. And in my lane they are all literate, prodfessional people. And believe it or not none ogf them buy newspapers! When I asked one of them. he said there wsas no need as they get all their news on TV. They don't even realize that TV makes you a passive consumer while when you read you think and react.The written word is disappearing slowly. It may survive mong ordinary Joes due to social network sites like IL or Facebook. But its life is slowly ebbing. In another half a century the way we get information or express ourselves is going to change radically and sorry for being pessimistic, non-creativelky.

Srama likes this.
  10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Yes Tamrakshar, keyboards are becoming redundant. But I still prefer my old not-so-smart mobile, in which I have to press the keys, Touchscreen trrchnology unnerves me.