1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

is our traditional attire a fancy dress?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by lakmesirigiri, Aug 17, 2015.

1. lakmesirigiri

lakmesirigiri Senior IL'ite

hello friends,
    again i am back with one more doubt- is our traditional dresses, our customs and traditions only limited to a few days in the year or they should be followed for a life time and passed to generations next so that they can be kept alive?

i think the question is too big but i did not know how to describe in a shorter form.

This all started in my mind when my four year old son complimented me that i look like a goddess after putting a strand of jasmines in my hair. the words that came from the innocent heart made me think if we are dressed traditionally in a decent way it gives a better impression on our character and personality to the one standing in front of us no matter whether they are our friends, relatives or just a trespasser.

Now a days we have made our traditional look and dress a fancy dress which should be worn on festivals or cultural functions.

in our culture we treat the lamps very sacred when they are blown of even for wind we treat them as a bad omen but purposefully blow them off during our birthday parties.

when sindur or kumkum falls from our hand it is a bad sign but purposefully remove the smallest traces of them from the forehead when we wear a jeans or a western outfit similarly with the bangles and toe rings.

manglasutra which means "sacred thread" which indicates that our DH is still alive some remove them without hesitation because it doesn't go with with our profession or western outfit.

there are a lot more things that we do knowingly or unknowingly because of today's fast lifestyle or in craze of western culture.

Just like our kids go to the school wearing fancy dress on 14th nov (children's day) come back remove that and wear something regularly worn in home, we athe elders are doing the same thing, we get dressed up very traditionally on festivals and cultural functions and remove all of them.

if this is continued in the same way what will our young generations learn and practice.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Choice is good and great within limits. When people forget limits and are oversold on 'choice', its a recipe for trouble in long run.

Two words: use commonsense

3. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

I agree with you...In this current trend be happy that we are doing all these atleast on such special days

4. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I am all for inculcating indian culture in children but not with half bakes theories of culture.

if you compare the lamp in front of god to candles or flame then we cannot put off any flame like gas or candles . Even the lights in front of god are gone after sometime unless you have any special ritual in your home to keep it Live all day and night .

Bindi and Thali should not be associated with sumangali status . Every womN married or unmarried , widowed should be able to put bindi . Thali , ya it is personal sentiment can be left to the individual but I hate it if you put it on when husband is alive and force to remove it when husband is gone .

5 people like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would rather that the kids learn the right things in life. It's more important to love and respect your spouse rather than the Mangalyam around your neck or the bindi. Same with attire and rituals etc, I wouldn't want them to give more importance to mundane things and forget actual values.

6. MLP1

MLP1 Silver IL'ite

What a person wears or doesn't wear has nothing to do with how well acquainted he/she is with customs, culture and religion. The two are independent and must not be confused.

sindmani, shruthisp and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. lakmesirigiri

hello dear,

this is not an argument but i just want to make one thing clear in our custom when the "thali" is tied by the husband at the marriage he says the mantra meaning "this will remain in your neck till my death and we agree to that bend our head and let him tie it ", which indicates that if thali is removed from neck it is a sign he is no longer there but , the sadness is no one tells the meaning of the mantra during the marriage which makes us feel "thali" is like any other ornament which can be removed or worn as per our convenience. Keeping a thali after H death has no longer any significance. I hope the same thing with the sindur in north indian marriages.

i also agree with the view love and trust and respect are the basics of any relationship, if we have these feeling for each other we unconsciously try doing the things which said to benefit them or bring prosperity to them.

8. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When he ties the thali he also says mama Jeevana bandana - we are uniting as one. There is no difference between me and you. Which means the rest of the world including parents siblings etc etc are now outsiders. It also signifies that I will be there for you and protect you life long. I will love you and respect you. It also means that wear this around your neck to strengthen my longevity. Not to show that I'm still alive. That's the meaning of the sloka not just wear this around your neck to signify your marital status. That's what I meant by kids knowing the actual meaning of what it signifies rather than wearing it because the husband is still alive.

9. lakmesirigiri

hello laks09,

thank you for give such a clear meaning, it is really appreciable. from your it reply i can now also think in another way , as we (girls and women) are taught to respect the "Thali" looking at it the husband should also remember what he promised during the time of marriage, not only having rights on someone but also be able to accept the responsibilities that come with it.

2 people like this.