Is Nano threatening Delhi's environment?

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by sethihardeep, Apr 9, 2009.

1. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

With the Nano being promoted as the 'people's car', affording a car for the family at the price range of 95K to 1.4 lacs is not going to be a big deal in an economically growing India. However, as we are all set to welcome the Nano in Delhi, a thought grossly crosses my mind.
    • How many folds is our pollution level going to grow in the already overtly traffic saturated Delhi?
    • Are we prepared to take on this environmental challenge?
    Perhaps this is the situation in many metros across India. Share your views.

2. nutangill

nutangill New IL'ite

It is true that R.K.Pachauri of TERI has expressed himself against NANO and called it a failure of the public transport system in Outlook.
    There are many aspects of Nano.

If the man on the street who owns a motorcycle can now afford a car what is wrong with it?

Delhi and NCR is growing very fast. In many areas there are not affordable transport soltuions for the common man. Nano would be the answer and create its own market.

Delhi's Metro is one of the best in the world and is set to expand into South Delhi and Gurgaon in 2010.The public would no doubt prefer the Metro.:hiya

3. ishanisharma

ishanisharma New IL'ite

Hmmmm... your point is worth giving a thought. Its for sure that Nano can fulfill the dreams of millions of people in India to own a car. But at the same time, it is also necessary that our government and concerned authorities take steps to build a palpable traffic system and the citizens take necessary steps to cut down the pollution levels in the city by taking a walk to nearby destinations, using public transports, car pooling, regular pollution check of the vehicles, etc.

After all its our city, and we are going to breathe the air our vehicle's emit.

4. Ruhaanee

Ruhaanee Senior IL'ite

I am sure NANO will be a major contributor to the traiffic and pollution in India.
    No doubt it will fulfil the aspiration of millions of middle class househoulds,
    the dream to own a car...

But at what price?????? to the environment

Rgds

5. nainaSrawat

nainaSrawat New IL'ite

Very thoughtful thread.
    Anyone from Delhi or a metro, who has booked the NANO? We'd like to hear your views. Moreover, I'm not sure, how secure is it to drive a small car like Nano in the highly vehicle crowded Delhi roads. Has any of you actually seen the Nano and witnessed the car body?

6. SabinaKhanna

SabinaKhanna New IL'ite

Hey, my brother has booked a Nano - and I just can't wait to actually have a ride on this little wonder. Yes, I was even worried about how strong the body shell of the Nano is..or rather HOW SAFE IS THE NANO? I tried to find out and found this article from Rediff. I'd like to share an excerpt of it here, as I believe many of you like me must have this question in mind.