1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is My Sister Correct

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by shama146, Aug 19, 2017.

1. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

Hello friends

I always come to indusladies when I want a neutral perspective.

I have a very naughty 3 yr old dd and 6 months old son. We r two sisters and one brother. I m the youngest and sis is eldest. My sister is a bank officer and every one seeks her opinion in every matter.

I, my sis and my parents all live in same city. Brother lives abroad. As my kids r small I always comes to my mom's place for 3-4 days every month or so, as my DD is very attached to her grandmother. I also get a break.

Last week we all had gone for our cousin's wedding. There my mom fractured her right arm. There only my sis told me that straight from railway station u go to ur place. If u will stay with mom, ur DD will trouble mom more. Her tone was very bad. I felt very bad. I had planned to stay so that I can help my parents. now My sis is staying with our parents as her children r grown up.

From station i went to my mom's place since I had to take few things . As soon as we reached home, my sis again told in a commanding tone that leave by evening. Ur kids will cause more problems here.

I was very hurt and left in the evening. Do u guys think my sister was correct.

Similar Threads
    1. shanthica
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. sha2
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. Goahead
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Your sister probably feels that your mother cannot rest with young kids around , which is very true . So she is just watching out for your mother.
    Some families have one dominating member whose opinion everyone seeks and values. They like to be in charge all the time and that is what your sister is doing . Is it possible that she feels that your mother is overworked when you visit her every month ? If yes, she is acting preemptively so that it does not happen when your mom is not well.
    visit your mother without the kids to make sure she is ok and help out if you can. Your sister should not have a problem with that. If she does , be firm and explain that you are there to help your mother .

sindmani, Sunburst and Mistt like this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

It is quite possible that this happened due to your mom sharing about your naughty dd. She must have repeatedly stated about how challenging it may be for her age to manage a tiny naughty kid. Because no one just says something like this out of the blue, that too this strongly n repeatedly, so it definitely has a back story to it.

I have seen this happen in different cases between parents n siblings. Just like your mom may share stuff with you, she will share about you n your kids to your sister too.

She must have kept quiet for so long because your mom must have said she's ok to manage. But now that she herself is in need of care, your sis is just watching out for her.

Your sis being the oldest, it's obvious she maybe dominating. It's nothing new or strange. Every family has one member like that. Don't take that personally.

Just support your mom leaving the kids back home or ensure that you take care of them strictly and your mom doesn't end up doing anything.

At the end of the day, it's all about your mom and her health n recovery.

sindmani and NeetaR like this.
  4. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

I think She may not know how to tell you properly. Think she is not that much matured..and she has taken privilege on you and feels mother should get proper rest.

5. anumuralik

anumuralik Bronze IL'ite

Your sister is absolutely right in her thinking but is a little bit harsh in her conveyance.
    If you feel like helping your mother just go and help her. It is advisable to take your daughter to see her grand mom for she is attached to her but make sure it is for shorter period like an hour or so and let her know about her grandmom's situation. She may understand :thumbup:Children are bound to be naughty and a little bit stubborn at that particular age. No child is hassle free at this age:shakehead: :facepalm: if they are they aren't children:thumbsup: Never blame them.:nono:

I think your sister won't object you helping them. Your help starts with letting your kids know about the situation and controlling them a little bit and making sure they won't be creating more mess in an already messed up situation as of now. Don't be disheartened by your sister's harshness. She is just being the hard one and trying to save your relationship with your parents may be. Because I know it. I become the hard one when my loved ones can't convey something to some one.
    Be gracious in such situations. :ciao:

Deborah, sindmani and Sandycandy like this.
  6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Your sister has taken being asked opinion about everything as a sense of entitlement to boss over you in this instance. While your kids maybe naughty and trouble your mom, she cud have told you in a nice way . But she had to take a commanding tone and treat u bad. This shud be a lesson on how the dynamics are in your family.

Next time you visit your mom ask before will it be a problem.In a few weeks, after your mom recovers tell her you will appreciate it if she tells you having your kids is a problem in person always.If your sister is being rude better tell her in person you don't like her bossing you. Good Luck.

NeetaR and sindmani like this.
  7. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

To be honest, as much we think kids are cute,fun and grandparents adore them, the fact remains that they are noisy , restless and a lot of work ! I think there are way too many people with you , your kids and sis in one house. Can you imagine having a quiet moment for your mom to rest ?Since you visit her every month , you can take it easy this time and let your sis handle it for the moment. She is working so she won't stay with her for too long and you can take over once she leaves . I also doubt that you can help much with your mom since you already have your hands full with a toddler and an infant . Tell me with a toddler clamouring for attention, running around , an infant and his schedules , his naps, his meals , how much can you help ? Your mom needs rest and with kids in the house , I doubt anyone can rest. Your sister was quite honest in saying whatever she did. Maybe she was rude which is not right but she was just saying this out of concern for her mom .

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  8. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Irrespective of whether your sister has a point or not, it does not diminish your take and perspective on the situation. If I were you and wanted to stay back, I would have. Would it be more difficult with your daughter - may be so - but this is also a life experience for everyone. Your daughter will observe and learn what it is like to have 3 generations in a household and care for one another in terms of difficulty. As it is, children these days are in a sheltered protective bubble and seldom get to experience hardships. Even if she is only 3, she will still learn and understand she should not bother grandma when she needs to be left alone.

9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Your plan to stay to help meant you stay alone or with kid(s)? If either or both of your kids would be with you when you stay to "help", then your sister's words and tone are understandable. Any person with a 6 month old or 3 yr old or both usually cannot be of much help in such situations. More so, since you are 'visiting', and don't live there, looking after kids involves more work for you and others.

When my kids were that young, if I went to a place (by myself, no DH) to "pick up something", the "arrival" (from car to settling down inside) was 20-30 minutes, and departure would be another 30-40 minutes process. One kid would need diaper change, another would want snack, need help after potty, need to be told to wash hands, need an adult to give him/her water, spill something and so on. So, here also your sister's tone and 'leave by evening' reminder is understandable.

She could have been softer in her words, but looks like there is history of you landing for 3-4 days a month to "get a break" with a "very naughty" 3 yr old. Your words.

When older people get a fracture, and that too in the right arm, their care is more taxing than it looks.

Neutral opinion: yes, she was correct.

Like other posters have said, kids are a lot of work, lot of noise, and restless. No need to take offence if told that they are not welcome in a house with an injured older person. If your baby can be for some hours without you, leave him and DD with husband, and come over for few hours to give your sister a break and to help.

Also, in regular times, come over sometimes without kids so you can spend quality time with your parents. Maybe after baby is a bit older. Once in a while, grown-up children making the time to be with parents and siblings without any children, spouses, is a different kind of experience.

Adamsribs, Sandycandy, NeetaR and 2 others like this.
  10. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

Ur sister is correct but the way she told was wrong...just tell her that it hurted u and too b so harsh like this..and don't think about this anymore just forget.