Is Laproscopy the only way out ?? Pls help

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by BelCanto, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BelCanto

BelCanto Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Need some suggestions - I have irregular periods coz of pcos and hence have problems ovulating. So i was prescribed clomid 50 mg but follicles didnt grow at al. Then i was prescribed 100 mg to see if follicles would grow but unfortunately there has been NO improvement at al. The follicles remained the same size
    :( which is very frustrating.

I have not had any side effects of clomid which shows that clomid didnt bother to do the trick :drowning
    Now doctors are suggesting that i go for laproscopy , do you all really think laproscopy is the only way out !! Kindly let me know...

2. Applepie01

Applepie01 Senior IL'ite

By Lap are you meaning ovarian drilling.If yes , i had one recently.Though i ovulate and have periods i had two miscarriages very early ones because of PCOS.So they did it.

Though now a days most of the doctors try to ovulate ppl with less invasive methods before going ahead with lap.Try talking to your doctor abt some other medications other than clomid or injections (FSH) to make your follicles grow.But my point of view is your doctor knows the best and talk with her.

PS i myself had a lap after having two opinions with different doctors.You could also have one.I had HSG done which showed that one of my tubes were dilated so did the lap to clear that part as my RE was doubtful.You could first do an HSG and then do lapcos HSG being a less invasive procedure.

3. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Why isnt the doctor trying 150 mg and 200 mg clomid, before going for a lap? Any reason given?
    For me, i was on 50, 100 and then 150 mg before I could finally ovulate. Even with 150 mg couple of cycles i did not ovulate. During that time, my obgyn said lets try once more, else need to increase dosage to 200 mg which is the max allowed.

Check this with your doctor.

1 person likes this.
  4. BelCanto

BelCanto Senior IL'ite

with 100mg there is no improvement at al, i dont think the follicles grew with 100, they are of the same size as ther were before putting me on clomid... could this be the reason why they suggested lap , i dont know .... n doctors here dont belive in any other tablets other than clomid...

5. LLavanya

LLavanya Gold IL'ite

Try with good siddha doctors. One of my friend got removed pcod through siddha medicine. They have taken scan and confirmed it. Thats why i m confident in telling.

6. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

you can try having wheat grass powder for 3 months everyday morning on empty stomach, this wud reduce ur FSH ... so if that is the issue then u wud ovulated .
    did u check ur prolactin ? whats the level
    you can also check with an inject able cycle of FSH to check ur ovulation

n if u do hv pcos the lap is only for drilling .... so all u may know u wud ovulated properly after that ... lap is nothing to be worried abt it is a simple day care procedure

7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi BelCanto,
    Not everyone respond to Clomid. Some use Femera family of medicines as an alternative or can go for injections to induce follicle growth. These will help you whether you will surely need a Lap to clean up the ovaries through ovarian drilling! Try at least other forms of medicines before proceeding lap. But lap is good if they are going to do ovarian drilling along with it. That will ease the next medicated cycles! You can see good response at the pain of lap!!
    Are you with metformin? Done HSG before? Metformin will help to control PCOS effects & HSG will check the tube & uterus conditions!

All the best! Baby dust to you!

8. BelCanto

BelCanto Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Thanks a lot for all your replies...
    I had consulted the doc again today and the doc has prescribed Metformin 500 mg [ starting with one tablets every day the first week, 2 tablets everyday the 2nd week and finally 3 tablets the third week and continue taking 3 tablets a day for 3 months ] along with clomid 100 mg.....

I will have to take Metformin starting from tomorrow.

we will see if there is any improvement here else Laproscopy is definetly needed in my case .... i hope Metformin helps me....

I have not done a HSG before.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  9. vini31

vini31 Gold IL'ite

yes metform 500mg is given for ppl with pcos ... maybe it wud help u ovulate on ur own

10. BelCanto

BelCanto Senior IL'ite

Ladies who have taken Metformin kindly let me know if it worked for you all... i am yet to start with Metformin.