1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth buying exercise equipments at home?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by uma321, Oct 27, 2014.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Ladies,

Lately I have been quite busy and have a hard time getting out of home as I have 8 months old and I need to be home as soon as I'm back from work (please don't tell me to wake up early and workout. It doesn't work for various reasons)

I haven't worked out for weeks and really hate it (except some occasional walks with the lo).

My question is, is it worth buying exercise equipments at home (like treadmill)? If so, what would you recommend? Where do you normally put your exercise equipments? I'd like the flexibility in owning an equipment so that you can hop into it any time you like..

2. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Dear Uma,

I lost 19 kgs of weight and maintaining it without any equipment at all. I am not a gym person, so its kind of waste of money for me on equipment. On the other hand my DH wants to maintain/loose weight using equipment, he didnt find time to goto gym and do, hence bought an elliptical, its sitting in our room without no one using it at all, he still dont find time to use it.

So, my suggestion will be first get into routine of workout with the help of youtube videos, if you like lifting, just invest on dumbbells from walmart/target (save the receipts, you can return and get new weights), there are lot of videos of fitness blender with level of intensity you want to start with. Dedicate 30 mins of workout everyday without fail. You can also try Leslie walk in youtube for moderate intensity level of workout. I bet you will loose/maintain weight easily without shelling lot of money on equipment and feeling bad about it in later stage.

Good luck

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Everyday bloom, thanks.. do you really sweat from these workouts? I'm looking to do workouts for health than losing weight.

4. EverydayBloom

EverydayBloom Gold IL'ite

Uma,

I have a heart rate monitor, to check on calories burnt. With fitness blender workouts of intensity 4 and above, i burn close to 450 calories in 45 mins workout, with which i am happy and i shed lots of sweat. With Leslie walk of 5 miles, i burn 350-400 (depends on speed we walk). Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Fitness equipment is a big investment according to me. So before even thinking on it you may want to try and answer the question on how will I find time for workout? Whether you have equipment at home or gym your problem is time , that is what I understood from your post. To have a healthy life style a speed walking or running outdoors can be an alternative and can be done any time (as you mentioned). Another option is to get a bike with a baby carrier and go on ride. It has various speed levels that can pump your heart rate up. I would seriously answer the question on time before even making an investment.

1 person likes this.
  6. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Chitra,

I can't go out for walk for various reasons. By the time I reach home, cook dinner, bathe the baby, abd feed him, it's 7 pm and already dark.

Let me try the at-home youtube videos workout and see how it goes.

7. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Totally worth it - to the makers of those equipments.

I won't be totally negative here. 20% of people who own exercise equipments do use it. Who am I to say that you won't be in the 20%?

Go for it and let us know how it worked out :cheers

( Wow I have never used so many encouraging and positive words in a post. Sigh, I might be having a good day today!! :coffee )

1 person likes this.
  8. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

he he.. I highly doubt i'll come under that 20%. :drowning

9. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hey Uma,

try Leslie walk videos..you can do it at any time and really effective. Can do 1 mile, 2 mile upto 5 miles based on your time. I am also a full time working mom with very busy schedule (1.5 hrs one time travel) and did LS walk for 1 months ( I was doing it whenever I get time some time after 1 hr of dinner when DD is sleeping) and trust me my weight loss was visible (I am very lazy). Now I am expecting my second baby so planning to resume LS after delivery

2 people like this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Uma..Short answer yes.
    I run outside but sometimes just cannot get that 1 hr for myself. Its for those days.
    I have an elliptical. Low impact on knees. Plop it infront of the TV in the family room. :)
    Thats prob the only time I watch TV.

2 people like this.