1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Right To Demand Share In Parental Property

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by periamma, Jun 13, 2017.

1. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

A son abandon his parents after getting married as he wants to take care of his wife and children .He adds it is the duty of the parents to take care of their children till they settle in life and so there is no valid point in saying parents sacrifice their lifestyle to give a bright future for the children.This too accepted by the parents and they plan to live an independent life without expecting financial assistance from the son.so they plan to dispose their properties and deposit the money in bank to have a peaceful life.now a question arises "Does the son can demand for his share in the property?is it fair to demand as he has abandoned them earlier?"Parents give a point, after marriage he does not belong to us then why should we give share in the property which is the only source for our livelihood.This point is also a valid one.
    Friends share your views

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Since the son did not step forward to look after the parents or even if he looked after his parents , this parents only asset which is now used for their survival need not be given now. Any child is entitled to parent's property(major of it), only after their parents. Little gifting to children by wealthy parents do not count. It is their wish.

nakshatra1 and periamma like this.
  4. SpritualSoul

SpritualSoul Gold IL'ite

Son doesn't have any rights.. not even 1% of the share, if its the hard earned money of his parents...
    But if its the inherited property then we can consider.. not equal share, definitely parents need a bigger share as they have spend a lot for education marriage etc etc ...

periamma and sindmani like this.
  5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

The property belongs to those who legally own it. There is no need for any confusion.

momsky likes this.
  6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Legally, they have zero claim if it's parents earned property.

But they can claim if it's inherited from grandparents. Even in this, the portion maybe decided by the parents as they do have the rights to spend it. We may have heard stories about kids spending (burning) all their parents money and leaving nothing to the next generation. So the parents have all the rights to do what they want with it.

Morally, in this case, they don't have to give anything to the son as there is no "duty" for parents to leave properties for kids. And whatever is left back after they are deceased can pass to the heir Or they can write it off to any one or even to NGOs.

periamma likes this.
  7. IniyaaSri

IniyaaSri IL Hall of Fame

My opinion is the son/daughter doesn't have rights to demand Parents' property.
    Provided the property is/was hard earned by the parents. If its inherited, that is "legally" different I suppose.
    I feel whether the children takes care of their parents or not, demanding property from parents is a big NO morally.

And if the children are taking care of parents expecting to get their property, I don't feel that's good either.
    Aren't children taking care of parents who doesn't have any property/money? Even money-less parents are being cared. Or that's what I believe.
    So, to conclude, the owner has the full right on his hard earned money(or property). There is no necessity that he/she should give that to their children.

periamma likes this.
  8. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Yes this is also true. I have seen some children who provides for their parents without expecting anything in return. In some cases, even if they failed to do their "duty" as parents (as mentioned in the original post). My own dh is one of those children. So yes, it still exists.

Just like everything has all sides. This also has all sides of pretty n ugly.

periamma and IniyaaSri like this.
  9. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

The son has no right to demand, even if he was actively taking care of his parents. It's his parents property and they can distribute it however they want to.

That's the way I view my parents' money. It's theirs and they can do whatever they want with it. Most likely, my mom will find a charity to write her money off to. Even the house, I have a sentimental attachment to, but I don't expect that to be split between my brother and I.

sindmani and periamma like this.
  10. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

That's a pity. Who's getting the house?