Is it okay to take medicines during fasting time ?

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by imeandmyself, Feb 26, 2013.

1. imeandmyself

imeandmyself Bronze IL'ite

Hi ILites :) i have a doubt please clear me

-Can we take medicines during fasting times ?

-cod liver oil capsules : they say that they made up of fish oil..then is it okay to take them on saturdays or any other auspicious days when we donot eat non veg ? should we consider them as non veg ? :confused2:

they may sound silly !! but these doubts are bothering me alot :hide:

2. Maggie2009

Maggie2009 Gold IL'ite

is it ok to fast when you are supposed to take medication??? IMHO fast only when all is well and you feel fit enough to

3. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Cod liver oil is made of fish oil and if it bothers you, you can replace with veggie options - people take it for omega 3 & 6 fatty acids - flax seeds, dals with chilka are good sources too

I cant and dont fast, but the answer to your original question is medicines are not counted as "annam" or "ann" although many capsule covers are made of rice extracts :)

4. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

irrespective of whether a medicine is made from herbs/animal fat/other chemicals, they are meant to be taken before/after food so that a person has enough energy to get the complete advantages of the medicine. it applies to any medicine.

So, taking a medicine without any food intake is your call. Have you spoken to your doc for the same? Even if it is a simple med as cod liver, consulting a general physicial is always helpful.

5. imeandmyself

imeandmyself Bronze IL'ite

Thank you veryyy much for your prompt replies :)

@ Maggie2009

thank you for replying :) am not under serious medication just taking some suppliments, i liked your reverse punching question :p

@ hrastro :

Iam very lazy to go for natural sources all the times, hence choosen this suppliment, yeah ur answer cleared me that its not consider as 'annam" thanks for replying :)

@ coolsandy

no no during fasting period i'll take some milk/ juice, then only swallow these tablets :) thank you anyways :)

6. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

I dont take cod liver oil during fasting as it is suppleent and can be replaced with other options.. its all right to skip just for one day. I skip this during navratri too.. But i never skip y diabetic edication as it cant be replaced with other natural options.