1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it okay not to be a cooking lover or t he cooking kind of person?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Happy2be, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

I have been married for 8 years and have a 7 year old DD. I can cook thrice a day, all kinds of veggies and dals and pulses. Haven't yet tried hands on items like sarso ka saag kheer etc because MIL does them and I simply do not thinking let her till she does.She becomes fussy and interfering and over guiding when I cook something new.And i am the kinds who likes to google or just listen once for guidance and try hands on my own on the recipes...see myself where I went wrong rather than someone constantly instructing me while I cook.
    DH says whatever I cook, I cook well..good enough. As an individual, I do not love cooking special things. I do not really like putting in much extra effort to learn or cook new recipes or special dishes. I prefer going for those MTR mixes kind of things.

I cook different tiffin items for DD like paranthas, sandwiches, poha, macaroni , pasta, french toast and few more but for dosa idli upma and any other such items which are not a routine item in a punjabi family like mine I prefer going foe the readymix packets.

And this questions many a times haunts me... Is this s negative point in me??

Because MIL used to cook special items, so does SIL...Both of them came to families where this was kind of a trend and their DHs like this extra effort special cooking. For my DH...he says better cook fast and give me and DD that extra time rather than putting in hours in preparation and cooking. He says we have restaurants to enjoy that once in a while special meal and you too can have rest from the daily routine. But when in laws tells off and on SIL made this and that and that I will cook this some day I used to cook that(yes she used to..used to), I start feeling that I too should do all t hat but I just don't feel like.

As compared to them, I am a work from home mom and I definitely am much better at managing home and keeping it clean. STill the question haunts me at times :-(

Is it okay not to be a cooking lover and be a simple daily cook??

2 people like this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Happy2be

I think it is fine if you will do the daily cooking. You are in India you feel like having something special restaurants are always there. Once in a while you too need a change, from eating your own food.
    When you are aboard you don't get these special dishes to eat so you don't have a option but to learn and cook these special dishes if you feel like eating:biggrin2:.

When I was aboard I use to spend lot of time cooking something special, after back to India I have become very lazy, especially when you stay in places like Mumbai. At the tap of your figures the food comes to your door step:tongue How cool is that...

3 people like this.
  3. neetugtb

neetugtb Silver IL'ite

Hi Dear,
    Every one is unique in her talents and choices. Hygiene and cleanliness require a hell of a time, effort and motivation, so you score a point over here. Cooking is something we cannot live without, big way or small comes later. The best thing is that your Dh and DD are happy and satisfied, as for the art, you have the rest of life. We keep developing hobbies, do not compare yourself with others, they may not be good at what you are. Learning is a life long process, I have seen people who didn't know the basics, now make perfect dishes. Keep improving with hit and trials.
    As for readymade dishes, they do save time but they are not as healthy. It doesn't reflect when you are still young but slowly the additives, oils and ready masalas start pinching, weight gain being the most fearsome factor in restaurant food. Moreover as your DD is in a growing stage, fresh vegies, dals and non veg are more nutritious. Being a hardcore punjabi, let me tell you, the magic lies in the basic gravy and saute-ing. If you get the masala for gravy ready in fridge, then it's a matter of minutes.
    Try it out as a hobby and if you need help, we are always around.
    Best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the kind words Aruna...and neetu I strongly agree with you. Using readymade...I never use ready to eat stuff...I use the upma mix dosa mix kinds of stuff rather preparing batter on my own putting in hours for grinding and fermentation and all. Restaurant food is like max once in a weekend..that too usually snacks...Proper outside food is not more than once a month. As for DD, I cook items like kinds of paranthas, poha, french toast, bhurji, macaroni, pasta, bread rolls, dalia, kinds of sandwiches and few more.

I really avoid creamy foods like malai kofta and the like...my in laws are obese and have poor eating habits and me and DH are little health conscious and we avoid fried and such items..DD also is typical punjabi girl..not fat obese but chubby ;-), so we are trying to dwell her eating habits not like my in laws at all.

But still they would say for things like...making dhokla or gol gappas...or dal cheela...samosas and all...and I really dont feel like trying hands on such kinds of items. As for veggies pulaos, egg curry, chicken ... I can cook them good :)

I hope that should be enough...hahaha...MIL keeps telling me on many matters...cooking is just one..that if you don't do or learn or follow how will DD do...and I simply smile and say..just like I am doing and if she has an interest, I'm there to accompany her to learn.

Yes, I keep the house much managed and cleaner than MIL and SIL..These are my DH'd words and DDs too..and I keep telling them not to praise me in front of in laws for this matter...haha. I work from home..teach DD myself...and give sufficient time to DH as well...I think that's a bonus point over them :)

2 people like this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

OP

If you are in India, you have the luxury to eat all sort of regular food in the near by restaurants on an affordable rate.
    Either you guys can visit a restaurant for a change, or you can order food from there. They provide almost same type/taste of home made food. That saves a lot of time and energy.
    Since your husband is on the same page as you, and she prefers your time than your food, I think you must consider his idea in this.

Some people like cooking, some like gardening, some like dress making... Everyone has their own interest. But it is always better to know everything on our own convenient. Which you have already done here

Just because your MIL and SIL cook, doesn't mean you too need to follow their passion. You may have something different in your mind. Kike gardening or interior home decor. You follow what suits you.

Since your husband and DD are fine with what you cook, I think that is it. Ignore MIL, or tell her that you are not interested, and not wired the same way as she is. Explain to her that she or her DD can't work (whatever the profession you do) as you, so it is not wise to compare 2 diff people.

1 person likes this.