1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it good to give advice on life problems/issue without personal or professional exp

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sun01, Sep 24, 2015.

1. sun01

sun01 Bronze IL'ite

Is it good to give advice on human life problems/issues (primarily sensitive) ?

without
    • having personal or professional experience
    • knowing the personalities involved in the problem
    • knowing real consequences from the advice
    • having feel for real pains
    • putting us into their shoes to see the problem
    • generational gaps (present dynamics, even 10 years creates a generation gap)
    • cultural gaps

I am writing this thread just as reminder because while reading some posts I felt some people are using it as hobby just to post something.

2. nivsrini

nivsrini Silver IL'ite

Re: Is it good to give advice on life problems/issue without personal or professional

Yes, the point you mentioned are correct. we post few problems here just to take advice from the experienced people so that we believe them to be correct and acceptable.

1 person likes this.
  3. catwalk

catwalk Gold IL'ite

Re: Is it good to give advice on life problems/issue without personal or professional

We should call it sharing of personal experiences. This is an ideal place for it. These are their personal opinions. There is lack of compassion / empathy in many posts. OP can ignore or accept or reject it.

This forum is not a place for seeking professional expertise.

3 people like this.
  4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

It's always not possible to give advice based on one's own experience, because a person may not gothrough all sorts of problems / experiences in life.

So whatever the advice is given by members here, are sometimes based on their own experience or sometimes their friends or other family members experience or sometimes using the common sense.

It's totally upto the OP to take that advice or ignore it. First of all a person posts her problems with a view to take others opinion or advice, that itself says that OP is willing to listen to the others point of view and allowing others to give their advice.

This forum is to share their problems /experiences and to get others views and opinions on it, not for seeking a professional advice. If the OP need a professional advice, then definitely she will go to a counselor.

3 people like this.
  5. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

People gets the opinion of various people on this forum....experienced or not , it doesn't matter....People get to know what various people think about the issue on hand....they also get to know the validity of the issue if not the solution...
    Online forums are not for professional advice....for that people has to goto counselor..I hope thread poster also understand all this...
    And if people want advice from some specific people than they can PM them ...

1 person likes this.
  6. paramlav

paramlav Silver IL'ite

It depends on op . For one problem there are many solutions as one can think only in one or ten directions think if its 10 people or more . Getting solutions is difficult but not choosing i think

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I have wondered about this too.
    We discuss issues of the posters based on our experiences,sometimes the experiences of people close to us or sometimes just based on common sense.
    Sometimes it is just the experience talking.
    But we all assume that people coming to public forums do realize that it is just friendly advice and not professional advice.
    Most of us suggest going for professional counseling if the issues are serious.

Most threads here are venting and rantings of the op since they have no other outlet.This is a safer bet than dong it at home or with people known to them.

I do wish posters would sometimes come and update if the discussion and advice helped them or caused more problems. That would help .

7 people like this.
  8. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Very true. What I have always thought about is that, when an OP posts some issue, she only talks about the recent happenings. We never get to know what happened in the past and how OP had reacted to certain incidents. Maybe the OPs reaction would have followed a vicious circle. Since we do not know all that, we know talk about how to solve the existing issue. This is not going to help in resolving the differences in a relationship..JMO

1 person likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am doing my best, and will not mind getting formally trained if IL foots the bill.

3 people like this.
  10. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

advice is something you can ignore or take action based on it. i don't think there is any malic involved in the advice given here. You don't take it at face value. We take advice from family - friends all the time. They are not privie to all information. Most questions are about perspective, i have seen so many threads were good ILs have asked OP to get professional help. That is something i like about this forum.