Is it compulsory to to give eechombu from mom's side for marriage - Tamil Brahmin

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by passionate89, Oct 8, 2014.

1. passionate89

passionate89 Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I belong to Tamil Iyer and my marriage is fixed..

I know according to our culture girl's family should buy some vessels as part of seer..

But can anyone tell me 2 things. I have a doubt?

1. Is it mandatory or hard and fast rule to give eechombu?
    2. On the day of wedding, should the bride for sure put the mangalsutra out [I mean upon the saree seen outside] (I have only heard that the mangalsutra should never be shown to anybody on anyday)

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Passionate 89,
    There is no sanctity about Eeya sombu. In those days in Iyer families they used to give eeya sombu for keeping rasam, as it was stated to be of good flavour.Scientifically eeyam ( lead) has no such chemical properties.Eeyam is neither of any religious significance also.It only adds to our agony while cooking since even at a moderately high temperature the sombu will melt and disappear from the aduppu or electric oven along with rasam.It is better not to venture on eeya sombu which they used in early days on low flamed Kumatti coal aduppu, which you might not have seen at all.

Reg wearing thirumangalyam over the saree on the marriage day,it is not a custom at all-it is neither bound by religion nor by tradition.You can wear anyway you like.
    Now a days,gold reaching the sky high price, thirumangalyam also weighs less for fear of theft.
    I think that you are aware, if not, learn now that tying of thali or mangalyam itself is not vedic bound and it is only a tradition that started after foreign invasion to save girls from being kidnapped by foreign guys.

Young girls like you concentrate on marital harmony,make small adjustments in life . Healthy ,harmonious married life is definitely more important than eeya sombu business, seer varisai, wearing of thail inside or outside the dress-these are all insignificant things that do not matter at all.

We have to respect tradition and culture, no doubt, but the purpose or essence of the great institution of marriage should never be lost sight off .
    As an elderly woman of 72, as old as your grandma, belonging to the same Iyer community, I have taken a liberty in advising you liberally.

Wish you Happy married life.

Jayasala 42

sindmani and Saisakthi like this.
  3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

:thankyou2: Amma Jayasala42 for stepping in.

May Baba guide us as always, SAIRAM