1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is it acceptable for an Indian woman 50 years of age to begin a degree program ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by paulmac, Dec 8, 2011.

1. paulmac

paulmac New IL'ite

Is it acceptable for a woman over the age of 50 to begin to attend a university in order to obtain a degree? My family is having animated discussions on this matter. Please let me know what you think.

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Absolutely...go for it. Age is no barrier.

3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

If it is only for the sake of gaining knowledge then age doesnt matter. If a woman of 50 hopes to finish the degree and get a job based on that qualification it might matter. Im not aware of Canada but in India, she will not have chances of getting a job based on the age.

4. rnair

rnair Silver IL'ite

go for it...for sure , you will enjoy going back to college!
    good luck ahead!!

5. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

totally! you'll rock it :) all the best :) what subject were you thinking of studying?

6. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

i met a nursing student in the hospital where i was admitted for my labor.she was in her mid 40's and a nurse who accompanied her was demonstrating her how to take BP,note pulse etc.Out of curiosity i asked the student why she is a trainee now-she replied that she was working in finance sector for 18 years and lost her job due to recession-she had to find some other job to take care of her two kids-so she chose the evergreen health sector-she did some bridge courses and got into a 2 year nursing course-and this apprenticeship is the last course for completing her course and getting into a job in the nursing field.

hope her experience answers your question.

1 person likes this.
  7. paulmac

paulmac New IL'ite

Thanks to those who have responded so far. Sadly it does not appear that my life long dreams will be realised.

8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Go for it. I am 60+ and still attending course sin a college. Nothing particularly for degree, but if wnt, I can add some more classes and get a degree. When you graduate, let me know. will attend the graduation. I am very proud of you. Do you have a big family? will they help you when you have exams? What kind of degree are you going to do.
    Please, don't change your mind. All the best.

3 people like this.
  9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

What is your lifelong dream?

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The cost benefit ration for those who are getting older sometimes limits what you might do....that and time involved. If your family is putting up roadblocks, it is possible in many institutions to audit the course. This would be a situation where you pay little or nothing and sit in on the lectures, you can do the homework but receive no college credit for the course. Normally this will be based on seat availability and with permission of the professor.

Second option is to take courses in open course situation online. Yale and several other institutions have courses to take. They are full courses and no cost involved. You can view them online or through Roku.