1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is It A Race Or Marathon?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Agreed. Where did you see the celebration?

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Ah, I didn't. Not directed at your post Viswa, just an addendum to it!:lol:

3. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Visawa uncle

I salute to you and others who have discussed this topic further adorning your snippet with jewels.

As a mother I can see this race tendance starts or forced on a child at tender age. At the moment , in our household we end up and assure boys that as long as you do your best with a joy then you don’t need to worry. At boys level, race is about their weekly quizzes and school competitions and in my husband’s level it’s about how to reach the next highest level and so on.

This post is structured sub a way that every sentence become a lesson. Especially I enjoyed the below as too often people who wins and succeeds forgets the factor about humility.
    The experiences we gain out of our failure makes us stronger whereas the sense of pride of achieving something, unless viewed with equanimity, might weaken our pursuit of growth and personal development.

I hope boys and I can learn to understand the preciousness of every moment and lead the life with equanimity.

Vani

4. Viswamitra

Dear Vani,

I agree with you about the excellent contributions from many members in this snippet. I learn a lot from those feedback. When a family is blessed with someone like you, your sons and husband don't have to worry about anything. They will always be happy setting their own goals for the long haul. Reading your responses to many snippets gives me an impression that your family is very blessed with your presence. There isn't a day pass by without me thinking how nice it would have been had I reached the level of maturity you possess at your age.

If we focus on our process of living, the success will take care of itself. Moreover, we will learn to dedicate the success to those processes than to our own self resulting in humility. We are very blessed to be presented with an opportunity to enjoy every precious moment in life and learn from our experiences. Pleasure or pain we encounter, we learn something out of it and we become better.

Love begets love. If we love what we do every moment in life, the sense of fulfillment will taste like a nectar. The real immortality is in how well we lived every moment in life than how long we lived. If every moment is unforgettable, it becomes immortal. :)

Viswa

girvani likes this.
  5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    yesterday we went to a nearby park to spend some time.We met an old man, around 85.He was running around the park in moderate speed.We told him that he could very well walk at this age.He gave us two chacolates and said that he was celebrating his 25th year of retirement by running around the park.
    After 5 mts he stopped running, sat on the bench and started talking.The gist of what he said is this

Life is a race. Everyone runs it.

Someone runs because someone is chasing. (Crime/fear).
    Another runs because he doesn't want to miss the bus. (Late)
    Someone runs because he wants to win.(the award).
    Another runs because everyone runs. (Confused).
    Someone runs because he wants to save another. (Danger)
    There is a race at every point of life.
    Some races end soon, some races prolong.
    Many around the world run marathon races. Some are good runners who want to win.Others know they can't win, they still run.
    Everyone's aim is just to finish the race.
    All races have prizes. Run in such a way you may attain it. Run till the end.
    Because all those who finish the race are winners, though only one may go away with the prize.
    There are no losers in a race unless one abandons it midway.
    Some give up because
    it may be a long race,
    some give up because
    the path is dangerous,
    and some may give up because
    the energy is lost,
    and some give up because others
    force you to slow down or even to
    stop.
    But you don't stop. Endure.
    ENDURANCE is all you need.
    I hope I possess the endurance--he said and started running.

When he talked non stop I was reminded of Viswa's snippet.Every one has different impressions about 'race'.

jayasala 42

Viswamitra, girvani and shyamala1234 like this.
  6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,
    I read, reread your blog, other learned and knowledgeable people and came to know many things about race and Marethon.
    Still, a doubt lingers in my mind.
    Everyoneone's brain mapping is different. Why life should be a race or Marethon at all? Can live life at their own pace, improving upon oneself at every stage to one's satisfaction . Result is not in our hands. So many other factors should co operate.My firm belief....if our efforts are sincere we would be happy.
    Syamala

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

Hi sir,

After reading your lovely post, my school memories came to my mind....

My class teacher used to tell us " participation is important, not winning or losing..... Life is a grand marathon where everyone is running, most of the time clueless....

Journey is important than the destination itself, i feel journey becomes beautiful when you have your loved ones with you, now this is again an unsure about life....

We never know which is our last race and we never really know how many lives have we touched with our simplicity and good deeds....

Lovely post

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa uncle,

I am humbled and you are so kind. I am learning and many more steps to climb with swami's grace. Indeed love begets love :)

Vani

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    As for me life is neither a race nor a marathon. It is a journey to be taken by us till the end which might be a long journey or a short one.
    Success is not important in the journey, but choosing to do the right things in life without worrying about the result.
    The ultimate goal of the life journey is to merge with the ONE who is residing in us as a part of our inner Soul.
    PS

Viswamitra and nandinimithun like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful conversation with a 85 year old man making effort to keep himself fit 25 years after his retirement. It is so exciting to know that he celebrates his retirement by running around the park.

He is right about endurance. Life demands endurance and determination to cross the obstacles we face and learn from others who have faced it before and accept gracefully when those who care for us cheer our ability to cross such obstacles. That is why I felt it is a marathon. As @sokanasanah said Marathon is also a race except it tests a different skill known as completion than who is faster and who wins in a 100 meter or 400 meter dash. As you said earlier, in a Marathon, the runner plans to complete each segment like a process in order to complete the whole race successfully and main theme is to collaborate.

Viswa