Is Ielts Considered In Usa Colleges

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sindmani, Jun 9, 2016.

1. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

I have done my MBA here in India. I will be moving shortly to USA. Iam now A H4 VISA HOLDER. IT SEEMS I CAN STUDY WITH THIS VISA. IS PHD POSSIBE . IAM TAKING IELTS coaching. But it seems mamy college needs GRE or TOEFL in USA. Iam not sure if my husband will be posted for his long term project in Newyork or California. Please give me some idea.

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

If you want to do PhD, you will need to take GRE. GRE is a sort of entrance test for graduate school (MS or PHD). Yes, some universities accept IELTS but TOEFL is usually the standard.
    When I am on graduate student admssion committee, unless the application is stellar otherwise, I won't accept IELTS. And, you can't attend school on H4, you will need a student visa (F1). It doesn't matter where he is located..NY or Cali..it will be same rules.

sindmani, Rihana and Srama like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

4. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Rihana- My bad! I asked the OISS at my university and was told that H4 dependents are eligible to attend college; however, the school prefers F1 (whatever that mean). In my 4 years of sitting on admission committies, I've not seen any H4 applicant. Could just be that biologists prefer their own visa ;)

sindmani, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  5. Rihana

Maybe an F1 shows more serious "intent to study", while an H4 could be "might as well study if can't work" and validity of H4 visa is linked to spouse's H1 being valid. For hard to get into courses, that might make a difference. I've seen many H4 holders doing M.S. in software engineering and related fields.

sindmani and KashmirFlower like this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

OP, you need to look at the universities that you are interested in and see what are their requirements. Each universities will have some pre-requisite courses that you need to take in addition to the standard exams. Also, to qualify for in-state most universities would need you to stay in the state for at least a year. So your education can start after a year and in the meantime you can take the pre-requisites at a community college.

sindmani likes this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Thanks everyone. H4 can study but not work. I sure if that. But TOEFL and GRE , is it tough. Any idea

8. Rihana

How tough would depend on the current level and what is the desired score. As with any exams, after a certain knowledge level, it comes down to exam-taking ability.

Don't let the toughness of the exam deter you. It is perhaps a taste of the rigor that can be expected in whatever study you take up later.

padma0604 and sindmani like this.
  9. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Is it tough? Sure it is. We want best students and they have

sindmani likes this.
  10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

You can study on H4 visa.

The charm of the F1 visa is the OPT which means you get additional time to stay in the country while you search for jobs. In your case, even if your husband goes back to India, you can continue staying in the US on a F1 visa but not on H4. After your studies, you will need a H1 of your own to start working.

I would also have you check if you can come on a J visa if you are doing Phd. It gives the spouse an option to work without the H1 visa.

Don't worry about how tough the GRE/TOEFL is. They are only the stepping stones. The real fun starts once you start your Phd :). Look at it as an opportunity to develop your mind. What subject is your Phd going to be in? There are several Phd's here who might be able to guide you better.

sindmani likes this.