Is Ghee Really Required Post Delivery?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Needtobestrong, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Recently I got into a debate with cousins and aunts regarding the post delivery practice followed..
    Tummy tying, confinement period, special diet is ok..
    But many questioned as to whether ghee rich food is really required for new mom? Isn't it enough if she just consumes nutritious diet with plenty of fruit, veggies, pulses, milk, oats, good water intake?
    The laddus, rice, khichadi, and herbal pastes prepared with ghee and ghee rich food given in both North indian and South indian families for new moms after delivery, is it necessary..two of my cousins who were overweight were told by their gynaecologists not to consume protein powders during pregnancy or take ghee rich food after delivery as it may make them put on excess weight..
    One of my cousin has PCOD issue and is conscious of weight, so she herself refuses to take ghee after her delivery..she has no issues post delivery or with lactation as far as I know..she has fed her baby up to 1.5 years.
    Few gynaecs say no to high cal food and ghee not required and instead to just follow nutritious diet..
    Just want all to share their views whether ghee is required or not..
    It's an age old tradition , I don't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities at all..just wanted to know if it has scientific basis and if ghee is really an important part of pots natal care, is it intact useful in healing process ? then how overweight and obese ladies, especially becoming mothers after 30 and with other health issues can have ghee everyday for so many months?

2. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

They are correct.

Ghee is clearly not required in post delivery period. It will lead to very quick weight gain.

A overall balanced nutritious diet is, what is required; not ghee.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Who knows, but I have not seen ppl other than Indians eat ghee or super greasy laddoos during pregnancy or after delivery. Nutritious food is required, but not ghee.
    I am not sure why we Indians treat pregnancy period and post delivery period as a free pass to eat all the unhealthy stuff that mom never got to eat before:confused:

4. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

This is somewhat a psychological thing??

Since from my childhood, taught to take spoonful of ghee with dhal. I stopped for a long time. Last 6-months, I started to take it regularly. Definitely food tastes much much better. It is more or less in my memory of comfort food. In general, Indian vegetarians may be more inclined to take more ghee?

5. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

With 2 pregnancies and deliveries under my belt, i support the ghee and traditional foods our mothers feed us. You may not see it's effect right away but down the line they are helpful. The amount of energy that goes into breastfeeding, running around them in their toddler years, etc that food goes long way. But I agree on one thing, moderation is key. Excess of anything is bad. Also, if we have good active life then I don't see any weight issues. I lost all my pregnancy weight by end of 3rd month postpartum and I did have all the ladoos, kheers, panjiris, etc. Special meals with ghee tadka.

How many of you started working out moderately aftervyour doc gave green signal for light excersice.

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Ghee is not meant to be had in isolation . It is part of an entire regimen followed after delivery.
    I do not know about North Indian customs. In South India there is a very specific diet which includes introducing complex foods slowly. Start with very light soups and over time introduce lentils /starchy veggies etc while taking specific herbs. The herbal medicine (Similar to the legiyam prepared during diwali) contains a long list of ingredients.
    This is a pretty potent medicine and is in general considered to produce lot of heat (vata) in the body.
    To combat this ghee is given generously to the new mother. Taken in right proportions (while breastfeeding )this actually works pretty well in healing the new mothers body. Ofcourse it would be terrible idea to not follow the whole regimen and still at ghee soaked laddus .

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Needtobestrong, SunPa and jskls like this.
  7. vandu3689

vandu3689 Junior IL'ite

Hello, can you pls let us know Wat diet and exercise you followed for weight loss. It would be helpful for new mothers. Thanks