1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is Buying Gold Cheaper In The Us? Did I Get A Good Deal

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by whynotme, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Jewellery is much cheaper in india as it's very competitive and coins will be cheaper in US. If you want cheaper gold, buy in dubai. No VAT/sales tax!

shravs3 and Archanaanchan like this.
  2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Based on 28th January 2018 rate in India for 22 carat 1gm gold, price =Rs: 2995
    for 107 grams = Rs 320465 => Rs:320465/63.6=$5038

So you paid extra money. May be when considering other charges (making charge plus taxes) in India it may be not make much difference. So I think you didn't loose much money. (You also saved flight charges to go to India and then buy gold)

[Gold Rate Today (29th January 2018), Gold Price in India)
    XE - The World's Trusted Currency Authority: Money Transfers & Free Exchange Rate Tools for rupees to dollar conversion.]

Yeah, you got 22 Carat because it is Indian store. In other stores I have seen only 18 Carat

GoneGirl, shravs3 and whynotme like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

besides so many other factors like custom duty etc., comparison is possible provided where you want the material to to be kept ultimately. if it is india prices vs a vis usa/Canada can be compared.

whynotme likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

there is vat now effective from jan 1st.

whynotme likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

gold in coins also have a making charge. just it is lesser compared to jewellery.

whynotme likes this.
  6. whynotme

whynotme Bronze IL'ite

Thank you DDDream for the detailed explanation but u haven’t calculated he making charge right?? When we add making charge it comes to the correct price know? My husband also did the same calculation and said we lost some money but he also didn’t calculate making charges or wastage or whatever. I don’t know if my calculation is wrong.

7. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Making charge varies from one jewelry to another. I dont know if there is any standard charge for it.
    Any way, enjoy what you have, dont worry about it too much.

8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

24 carrot Chennai rate now at ist 11am today ₹ 23240 per soverignjewellerygold 22 CT xchange rate $ = ₹.63 approx. add any other cost or costs to Destination delivery and compare.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  9. frndlysgp

frndlysgp Silver IL'ite

When you buy jewelry you should also consider the making charges. This can vary based on the design you have chosen. Simple designs can have lesser making charges, but the designer one will have higher making charges as the designs are quite complicated. Hence we can't just consider grams into consideration.