1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is Banana a weight-gain or a weight-loss fruit?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by coolblues, Dec 26, 2012.

1. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

175.jpg
    One of the popular diet myths for weight loss that is doing the rounds is banana is a wrong food for people aiming to lose weight. Bananas are frowned upon because it has approximately 108 calories and has about 17.5 grams of carbohydrates. Most people feel that abundance of carbohydrates can make a person gain weight. Nevertheless, you need carbohydrates to produce energy for optimal body function. This fruit is nutritionally dense with vitamins and minerals. It is low in fat and high in fiber, which is essential to help you feel full for a longer period.

Apart from this, banana has low glycemic index food of 51, which will certainly help in weight loss. Foods having low GI delay the release of carbohydrates into the blood stream. This prevents spike in blood sugar level and prevents overeating. Experts opine that banana, when eaten in moderation, is a perfect snack for people looking to lose weight.

Include this tropical fruit as part of a meal or healthy snack. Banana is rich in potassium, which can help in regulating blood pressure. A low-calorie diet often overlooks the need of potassium, the absence of which can lead to severe exhaustion, diarrhea, cardiovascular diseases and impaired growth of muscles and cellular function.

If you are sticking to a 1200-calorie diet, then, eating a medium sized banana accounts for 9 percent of total daily intake. This means, bananas are certainly safe for people who want to lose weight.

Banana lovers, go ahead and enjoy this simple yet powerful fruit, which is in no way a hurdle for your weight loss goals.

Do you include banana as part of your daily diet? Has it been effective in weight loss?

2. Excelsior

Excelsior New IL'ite

My parents always keep on telling me to avoid bananas but I just love them.
    And I had stopped on that for the fear of weight gain.

Thanks for this article.

3. cuppcake

cuppcake Gold IL'ite

I'm bananas about bananas...I have never needed any pre or post workout snacks/health drinks bcos of the good ol banana. If u wanna workout more, eat more bananas. They give lots of good energy and are mood boosters.

4. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I think the logic is simple Banana is high in calories so if u eat it in excess then u might end up blotting up but i am yet to meet someone who has put on weight just because of Bananas.Bananas are rich in fibre and has the so called GOoD vitamins so u must eat it but eat it sparingly :)

satchitananda likes this.
  5. coolblues

coolblues Platinum IL'ite

Yes, moderation is the key for anything when it comes to weight loss.

6. RajSai

RajSai Platinum IL'ite

Thanks coolblues and dinny for clearing the air. i love bananas. since i knew that it is a great booster for sports people, i had the clue that it is an immense source of energy. but i was not clear if it can fit into weight loss diet. anyway, i guess even bananas cannot be over-eaten.

7. Sindhurak

Sindhurak Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the Info coolblues.. The same myth is there on having boiled potatos also.. :)

8. saarang

saarang Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Nice info coolblues...

9. wajiha

wajiha New IL'ite

Wow...super info....m jus crazy abt bananas bt i had to stop cos off weight gain....bt will start taking again as energy booster :).

10. sheethel

sheethel New IL'ite

This was a good article...
    I always avoid eating bananas eventhough I have plenty of bananas at home...!
    Thank u so much for this relavant infrmation..!