1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is Anyone Going Through Depression?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ShabnamF, Jan 22, 2017.

1. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Wow, I didn't know anti-depressants can cause tooth damage. I will not put if off any longer. I will try my best to see a Psychologist next week. Thanks a lot. Hugs.

sindmani likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@ShabnamF where are you placed. I would say don't expect people or friends to understand your depression. It is not difficult for many. There is not much awareness and also the stigma.

How about looking for support groups. We found a few to help somebody close. Adaa.org,
    Depression alliance and there are few groups on fb I think.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with a good counselor or pschcologist. You need more than just meds. Continuing on these and not much relief will end up upping the dosage and side effects.

I would not say try to read, pick new hobbies because If you could you would hae and it is not lack of trying. It must be hard to face each day, let me tell you you are strong and brave than this depression that makes you feel, if you are working and busy.

Is there a way you cAn note what triggers the mood swings. Lonely evenings/ something someone says??. Is it irritation or frustration that feeds the mood. How about having a diary or blog where you do write or talk your feelings.(would you say no energy/no interest)

tight hugs love.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@ShabnamF i would emphasize that the people who are with you say your family needs to understand and really understand depression.

Have been a helpless person watching someone go through it and theN took a lot of effort to help and the person is better now.

4. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much @Shanvy . I have never tried support groups, I'm too scared to speak out. Because the best and smartest of my friends don't seem to understand and I end up cursing myself for talking about it with them. I will try adda.org.
    I am a travel freak and I have 2 big holidays coming up and Im not excited about them even a bit. I would have been jumping up n down by now with travel plans etc. So yes, to take up a new hobby is next to impossible.
    I have never tried to observe what triggers the mood swings. I will try to now.
    No, my family does not know about my depression. A few of my frnds do. In the beginning they were supportive, now they can't wait for me to get out of it. I know they mean to help, but they just don't know how to.

Thanks for the hugs. Im glad whoever you supported through their depression had your help and support. Thanks for doing it.

Shanvy likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Don't curse yourself for talking about it to your friends. Sometimes having someone who just listens helps. Not everyone understands everything and depression comes with a stigma. You look normal you talk laugh and appear to be happy. You work you earn you appear in a better space than many..perception of few could be this. It is not visible and you are confused when you can't really see the effect I think.

the helplessness to break through and pull a depressed one is so real. Believe me I have banged my head on walls and more. It takes a lot out of both. The one who goes through it and the one involved in your wellbeing.

When you could talk here may be you can go anon and Check it out love. Sometimes you would be helping and taking help. It could be mutual.

Hope you enjoy your holidays. And do talk to your doctor. And hope you find at least one person who understands and inspires helps you to pull out from the darkness you feel

The light is there and you will tear down the darkness. Cheers

Laks09 and ShabnamF like this.
  6. Reshmitha87

Reshmitha87 New IL'ite

@ShabnamF I have been in your situation and I know what you are going through. I used to have terrible insomnia and moodswings - getting angry or tearing up at the drop of a hat. I have a supportive husband who understood my problem. But I had a reason for my depression and ever since I started addressing my problem, I have been slowly getting better and I am almost normal once again (something I never thought was possible). Based on my experience, my suggestions are:

1. Please talk to someone daily, a family member or a friend who cares about your well being and who will spend some time for you willingly. Just talk about how your day went, what you had for lunch, what you did at work and even mundane stuff. Just talking is enough. Trust me, it helps a lot when you know that someone is there to listen to you

2. Try and do some exercise daily. I know you feel you will be better off curled up. But please spend at least ten minutes daily... walking, jogging, anything is fine. Gradually increase the time you spend on physical activities. You will definitely feel better after a bout of activity

3. Listen to music. Start when u enter your home and keep that playlist going till you fall asleep. Listening your favourite songs can soothe you.

4. Try to be with a positive bunch of people. Being in a crowd where everyone is joking and laughing will be a headache in the beginning, but they are the ones who won't take a "No" from you for anything and will drag you along to all their parties. You will not want to go, but being with happy people will have a positive effect on you if you give it enough time.

5. Watch any comedy films / TV series that you used to like earlier. Anything that takes your mind off depression and makes you laugh even for a few seconds is worth spending time for.

7. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

@Reshmitha87

1- Check
    2- Check
    3- Check
    4- Check
    5- Check

Fortunately for me, I am doing all of these! I get through the day mostly fine but have mood swings twice or thrice in a day. My mood changes back because of my friends and colleagues mostly, listening to their chatter and jokes n stuff. But the same chatter n jokes seem to irritate me sometimes and sends me plunging into depressed mode.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Maybe it is some particular topic that irritates maybe identifying the trigger and asking your friends to help will be the best initial step shabnamf

ShabnamF likes this.
  9. vinodsinha

vinodsinha Bronze IL'ite

Clinical Depression is a life time illness, known to wax and wane with time, sometimes needing less medications , sometimes, more.

All you need to do is, never to stop the anti-depressant medications, on your own. Understand the nature of the illness that it is a long term one, and stick to one Psychiatrist. Do not change from one doc to another.

Every anti-depressant medication has got a side effect profile. It is possible to adjust the dosage of the medications to suit to your daily life, only if you stick to one Psychiatrist.

Plus, Meditation is a good addition to Pharmacological treatment. Mind it , even the best meditation practice can not be a substitute to drug treatment.

But, learning and practising a non devotion based (wisdom based) meditation technique will help you very much. Tell me if you are interested.

Stop bothering about what the world and people around think about you. Meditation will divert your attention off your stupid friends.

ShabnamF and madras2018 like this.
  10. Belovedsister

Belovedsister Bronze IL'ite

@ShabnamF Tight hugs and a lot of love for you.

Please pray for atleast 10-15 mins a day! talk to the Almighty, tell Him what you feel and ask Him for solution from. Beleive me it will help you to a large extent..!

EnlightenedSoul likes this.