1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Iowa? What's that?

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by Ansuya, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

I am late entrant here too! Ansuya, you write beautifully! And no matter how many time I say it, it's never enough!

I really enjoyed reading your posts about Iowa and South Africa. I think many Indians hear the most about New Jersey and California because that's where most of the Indian population is. So learning about other states is always good.

I had a similar experience when we were in West Virginia. People did not even know that there was a state by that name! 'Oh, so you live in western Virginia..' or 'Where do you live in Virginia?' were common questions.

West Virginia is a beautiful place too. But unlike the plains of Iowa and other farming states, WV is full of hills and forests. It is a wonderful place for someone who loves nature. I did not have the chance to explore it in summer, but I loved whatever I saw in the fall and winter, and the beginning of spring. The people are very friendly and we were always greeted by anyone who passed us on our evening walks by the riverside. And when I saw the daffodils growing wild by the river, I could only think of Wordsworth's poem Daffodils! I had never seen daffodils until then, and I immediately understood how Wordsworth must have felt to write a poem about them.

The Indian population in WV is less compared to the population in some of its bordering states like Virginia, Maryland, or Ohio. Some Indians I have met do not like to live in places where there are not many Indians. I don't see the logic in that. Of course, I had my apprehensions too when I first landed in WV because I had no friends there and no one to help me settle down. But then I found IL and felt that I have friends everywhere I go!

Each place has its own beauty and we must enjoy it for what it is. There is always something new to learn and see.

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Jyothi

Thanks for expressing your appreciation for my writing, and unearthing this dusty old thread! You're right about states like Iowa and West Virginia not having as many Indians as the warmer, southern states. As for the "logic" behind the clannishness of Indians, I guess people feel more comfortable around others like them, but it's not impossible to make friends with others, even if they are not exactly like you, especially with a view to being exposed to different cultures and ways of life. Or maybe I just feel that way because that's been the story of my life!

I also don't know much about West Virginia, beyond my impressions of it (gentle, calm, peaceful, natural beauty) from John Denver's songs. The landscape sounds great, from what you describe. It is true that Iowa is very flat, but the advantage of that is a never-ending big sky that is just humbling to look at. Your description of seeing daffodils for the first time was just lovely. It's nice to be able to immerse oneself in nature and just get carried away. We have beautiful natural scenery in South Africa, but are always under threat from violent crime, so it is hard to just relax and enjoy the scenery.

Your last words are very true, and nicely expressed too. There is something good to be said for any place - it's just a matter of finding it, and learning how to appreciate it. For me, one of the things that helps me cope with the very cold, harsh winters here in Iowa is the warmth and friendliness of the people. There's a great mix of decent, heartland values here with progressive thinking - for example, Iowa just became only the fourth state in all of the US to recognise the legality of same-sex marriages. This makes me proud to live here!

3. Jyothisri

Jyothisri Bronze IL'ite

I'm so glad you mentioned John Denver! His song 'Take me home, country roads' made me miss WV even more when we moved from there!

4. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear Ansuya,

I chanced upon this thread just a few minutes ago and decided to post a reply post-haste!

Why? do you ask, What's the tearing hurry?

Well, because my son completed his Masters' from ISU, Ames and i was there for a few months with him. I grew to love the place, snow and all, such a beautiful little univ. town. And I spent a lot of time in the library, researching for my Master's degree in French...

So there is some special bond with IOWA, whatever anyone may say about 'some State in the Boondocks'!!!

Padma

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Padma, thanks for your lovely post, and I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner. ISU is our sworn enemy - when the University of Iowa Hawkeyes play the Iowa State University Cyclones, it's like a war zone ;) But it's all in good fun - this is a great place to live, and like you say, it has a way of getting under your skin and slyly making you love it, torturous winters and all! By the way, I'm very impressed by the Masters degree in French bit...

Speaking of winters, there's a cold wind blowing tonight, the leaves are changing colour, and I've grudgingly had to dig out the socks, gloves, sweaters, boots, scarves and all the other winter paraphernalia that is necessary for surviving an Iowa winter. So, I thought I'd make myself feel better by recollecting a few memorable Iowan moments...

1) When we first arrived, we thought we'd make our first long road trip to the Iowa State Fair. It was a blistering hot day, we didn't really know where we were going or what to expect, and of course, we got a puncture on our way back. So there we were, stranded on the interstate (AAA was on their way, but we were still a little despondent) when an Iowa State Trooper stopped, asked us if we were okay, and offered to change the tyre for us. It had not been my experience of South African policemen back home to be so helpful or constructive in their policing, so it was a real eye-opener.

2) We just moved to a new neighbourhood, and the other day my husband was mowing the lawn while my 3-month-old baby and I were "helping" him (purely in a supervisory capacity, of course). First, our next-door neighbour came over with a box of peppers, summer squash, karela! and tomatoes she had grown in their garden plot (by the way, we cooked and devoured it all and it was fresh and most delicious). Then, we noticed a very stately and elegant white-haired woman slowly making her way across the street towards us with her walker. It turns out she was our 93-year-old neighbour, and she had come over to introduce herself and meet the baby. She was sprightly, alert, and a great conversationalist. So, two meetings that made us marvel at Iowan kindness, and Iowan longevity.

3) Exactly 6 days after our baby was born, we both had to renew our driver's licences. Now, hanging out at the DMV wasn't exactly high on my list of priorities at that particular time, but it turned out okay. My husband and I finally got a chance to chat and relax (baby was home with my mother), the licences were issued with no hassle and in reasonable time (keeping in mind that a DMV hour is roughly equivalent to three normal Earth hours), and we even got something to eat afterwards. I've read some horror stories about the DMV in other places, and I'm glad that it's not so bad here. Plus, I have the DMV to thank for our first "date" post-baby... ;)

4) On a recent trip into town to run errands, my husband realised he had lost his wallet. So we started retracing our steps, trying to remain calm but each silently imagining the nightmare of cancelling cards, the possibility of identity theft, and similar scenarios, when we got a phone call. A man had found the wallet in a grocery store parking lot, and was calling to meet us there to return it. My husband got his wallet back, with everything still inside, and I was left relieved and quite amazed, once again, at the kindness of Iowan strangers.

5) Fairfield is a small city in Iowa that is home to followers of Transcendental Meditation and the Maharishi University. It's all quite incongruous, to find this Indian presence in the middle of the vast plains of Iowa, hidden among cornfields in the heartland. Those of you in Chicago or the Bay area in California are probably spoiled for choice when it comes to Indian restaurants, but here in Iowa it is very limited. So, we were very happy to find Gupta Vegetarian, a lovely little "pure" vegetarian restaurant in Fairfield, run by the delightful Mr and Mrs Gupta. They've lived in Iowa for 17 years, and they have the most wonderful food, served simply and cooked fresh every day. Very few things excite me as much as good Indian food (heck, I'll even "Hurrah!" for bad Indian food), and it was such a delight to be in Iowa, but feel as if I was sitting in a little family-run restaurant back in India.

So, that's what makes it all worthwhile - the good people, the diversity, the efficient services, the bucolic nature of the land, and the gentleness that is the sum of it all. It's a peaceful and fulfilling existence, and while I'm sure all of you love something about the little part of the US that you inhabit, these are the things that make me happy to call Iowa home. Thank you for indulging me in reading this post. I'm going to read and re-read it in a few months' time whenever I start to fear I'm going to lose my toes to frostbite...

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ansuya,
    You write really well. Reading this has made me want to visit Iowa:)

Keep writing about some activiites and the life there. I am sure all of us are enjoying.

7. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Neha, I'm glad you like this thread, and that you are now motivated to visit Iowa! I found this Letter to the Editor in the Des Moines Register, and thought you might appreciate it.

I'm sure everyone has similar words of infatuation for their states, but there's just something about Iowa that brings about this sort of rapture in Iowans. Maybe it is the joyous delirium brought on by surviving an Iowa winter, and being rewarded with the glorious abundance of natural riches that is Spring. Whatever it is, I share the feelings of this writer. We landed here in Iowa quite by accident, so it's a bit like winning the lottery. That's how much we like it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  8. sweetbhanu16

sweetbhanu16 New IL'ite

Hi Anasuya

Really I felt proud after reading ur post about IOWA. Even am staying in IowaCity for the past few months. I came to US recently after my marriage in 2009 since my husband works here. Since this is my first place in US am not sure of other places but as I heard from others Iowa is the on the top in most boring and dry places in US. But after reading ur post everyone will change their minds I guess.

Since u r staying for long time I would like to know the best places to be visited in and around IOWA. May I know where r u staying in IOWA state? Please let me know the places to be visited in this summer.
    Thanks in advance

bhanu

9. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Bhanu

It's nice to see a fellow Iowan here on IL :)

It is true that Iowa can be seen as a pretty boring place.

It is a largely rural state, and has the conservative values typical of Midwestern states. Life here is slow, peaceful, and solid. A lot of people who have moved here (because of university, or job opportunities) find it stifling and dull. But I guess that depends on your personality.

I've always liked small towns, so I enjoy living here. It's not glitzy or glamorous like Las Vegas or Los Angeles or New York City, but those places are not for everyone either. At the end of the day, life here will be what you make it. So, you're on the right track when you ask what might be fun to do in the summer. Winter can really get you down, but everything and everyone comes alive in summer.

The Iowa State Fair in Des Moines is a must-see event. I don't know if you have kids, but it's good fun for the whole family. However, remember that it's usually blazing hot in August, so be prepared with lots of water, sunglasses, wide-brimmed hats, etc. otherwise being outdoors in the crowds for a long time will be your undoing.

We have enjoyed the National Mississippi River Museum and Aquarium in Dubuque, IA. Again, it's a good destination if you have kids, because many of the exhibits are designed for children.

Pella, a small Dutch town about two hours away from Iowa City, is interesting in terms of history and culture. Although the annual Tulip Time festival has just passed, there are other events they have lined up for the summer.

There's some interesting stuff going on in Fairfield, IA - it's the centre for Transcendental Mediation and the home of Maharishi University. I'm not much into all of that, but I do enjoy the food available there because of the TM practitioners. We like going to Gupta Vegetarian Restaurant; but be warned, Fairfield is even smaller and more rustic than Iowa City/Coralville!

Of course, if you've had enough of small town living and want to watch a show, or visit some good shops, then it's time to go to Chicago. Also, if you want to visit a really wonderful zoo, then the St Louis Zoo in Missouri will do nicely.

Locally, there is the downtown Iowa City Farmers Market Wednesdays and Saturdays in the Chauncey Swan parking ramp, live music in the Ped Mall every Friday night, and the Riverside Theatre's annual Shakespeare Festival in Lower City Park, Iowa City. I love the 4th of July festivities downtown - the Jazz Festival and fireworks display are exciting and vibrant.

I'm not sure what you enjoy doing, but I am more than satisfied with all that Iowa and its neighbouring states have to offer (maybe I am too easily pleased). I hope you have a great summer!

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  10. sweetbhanu16

sweetbhanu16 New IL'ite

Thanqs Ansuya.. Really thanqs for the list of places. Actually we are married a year ago so we will prefer more romantic places. Actually i like TULIP festival too but I missed this time. And sure we will visit Downtown in the first week of June for fireworks.. Even Iowans can enjoy now

Thanqs for the reply..

Bhanu