1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing Solids to baby after 5 months and food allergy

Discussion in 'Infants' started by supreep, Dec 18, 2013.

1. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

My baby had his 4 month check up this Monday and he is doing absolutely fine as per his ped.
    His ped suggested to start solids (rice cereal) after 5 months. When I told her that the research says that starting solids before 6 month can cause food allergy in babies, she told that the recent studies say the other way round that if we don't introduce solids before 6 months it will cause food allergy.

Did any of your baby's ped say the same thing?

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Supreep
    I started giving semi solids to my baby from 3 months.Well in kerala almost everyone starts at that age.
    I dont know about this research but my logic says that by around six months, baby's appetites are more difficult to satisfy with breastmilk or formula alone.
    And babies are also ready to experience new tastes and textures by then. Starting on solids at around this age will help your baby with developing teeth and jaws. Solids are about learning to eat, which is why they’re not introduced by bottle.

2 people like this.
  3. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Hi Supreep,

Nothing wrong in starting solids after 5 months that is during 6th month. Generally breast milk is enough till 6 months, so no need for solids before that. Food allergy is common with cow's milk, egg white (proteins). So don't worry about introducing rice and vegetable proteins.

1 person likes this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

supreep,

mine are grown up and I usually don't come to answer in this section. But reading your post I wanted to tell you that it is okay to start with rice cereal. My pediatrician then had said something like this "No one is known to be allergic to rice!" so that, rice cereal I mean would be your first and safest best towards healthy eating and introduction to solids. Then I think you can follow the order of some vegetables, then fruits. As you introduce a new vege or fruit, it is best to give slowly observe for a week (with that vegetable) and then move on to the next vege or fruit. That way you can catch any allergic reactions.

So, no introducing to rice cereal should not cause any food allergies. Best wishes and happy parenting!

1 person likes this.
  5. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi supreep!
    good to know that you and baby are fine !
    i also started solids in five and half month and it was my doc who insisted that. yes people say that solids should be started after six month but actually solids can be started when the baby has doubled his birth weight . recent researches also say that babies who are introduced to solids very late can actually develop food allergies Allergies Linked To Delaying Solid Foods
    well personally i dont go by all these researches , as some one will say delay solids then some one else will say dont delay. so what to you do as mom?? i would say go by your instincts and what your doctor and to some extent your elders say.
    see , introducing solids does not mean that you will be giving large meals to the baby :) , you just introduce a semisolid , easily digestible food product which adds to the nutrition and helps in proper growth of the baby. you will introduce one food at one meal and then wait for four five days , and then introduce something else. it takes long time till the baby eats all solids.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

I think it depends from one baby to other and we maynot be able to generalize when it comes to allergies. But starting rice cereal is safe after 4 months. That's what I had been told and I started solids when mine is 5 months and 2 weeks old.

2 people like this.
  7. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

Dinny, Rakhii and Srama,

Thanks a lot for your replies!! I am planning to introduce rice cereal as his first solids in his 6th month once we do his Annaprashan.

Ganthimathi,

Thanks for letting me know that egg can cause allergy!!

Cutemonster,

How are you and your baby? Thanks for sharing the link related to Allergies...
    My baby has almost doubled his weight. Just 3 ounces falling short of it [:)]....But he is just 4 months 1 week old so don't want to introduce solids this early. Moreover he cannot sit up yet. He needs support to do that. These days he looks at us when we eat [:)]

have sent you a PM.

1 person likes this.
  8. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I read about making your own cereal at home like brown rice cereal or oats cereal.
    Can anyone let me know if we need to first wash the rice and then dry it before dry roasting it? Also when can we add BM to it and also what should be the dose for a 6 month old baby.

Thanks

9. alpsheidi

alpsheidi Senior IL'ite

Hi supreep,

I may not be answering your query completely. But my ped has said regarding rice, it needs to be washed before dry roasting and then powdered.

But i would like to suggest the first solid food given to my baby. I used ragi. U need to soak 2-3 spoonful of ragi in water for 2-3 hours.
    wash and grind it well in mixer with little water. Filter it with thin cotton cloth, now u get the milk of ragi. With this add pinch of salt and ghee. Heat it with continuous stirring till u get a thick consistency. [it has to be boiled well till its thick and u can see boil bubbles..] cos if food is not cooked properly it may cause indigestion for babies.
    This can be given to babies. I started this for my baby at her 5 month.

10. supreep

supreep Gold IL'ite

@alpsheidi - Thanks for the detailed post