1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

International Women’s Day, and Why I Celebrate Being a Woman

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Moumita1, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Finest Blog Winner - Second Weekly Pick of March 2012

Come every March 8, and the world celebrates International Women’s Day. And yet every day I feel the pain of women around me, and wonder, if celebrating a day for women is good enough or not.

I don’t believe that this day is for you and me, women with technology within their reach, and money in their savings account. I’d like to believe this day is for my neighbour’s maid’s daughter, who gets beaten by her father everyday, whose cries fill the nights, and I think I saved her life the other day, when I shouted at her father who was about to throw a huge brick at her. This day is also for friend of mine, whose husband thinks that it’s imperative for her to go out and earn, even if it means she drives 25 kilometres to work, and keep her sick two-year old daughter in her office, because she cannot afford to take a leave. I can’t help think about my cousin, she who secretly helps out her parents with her salary, and thinks if her in-laws will come to know of this they will never accept such behaviour, even as they accept their son when he monetarily supports his parents.

Today I am remembering the story of Swati, an educated mother of two beautiful daughters and a teacher; she was molested by her colleagues when she went on an official visit to a rural school. She was drugged, disrobed and molested, and then dropped home. She vaguely remembers what happened to her, but her husband thinks that’s not good enough to register a police case. She was so much traumatised by the event that she started making up stories about it, where fact and fiction often changed sides. Her husband did not listen to her, her parents and brothers thought if they take her home, her husband may not want her back. So they feigned indifference. And then one fine day, she disappeared, just like that. Her husband changed jobs, and shifted to a different city. No one knows where is Swati. This International Women’s Day is for all of you, my friends, who think they have no choice.

You, my friend, you always have a choice, even when you think you don’t. You have a choice of walking out of a bad relationship, even when people will tell you to stick on. You have an alternative of ringing the doorbell, when you hear your next door neighbour beating his wife and daughter, in a drunken stupor. You have the choice of telling your parents that you will not marry a man, if his family asks for a dowry. You always, always have a choice.

My parents raised two girls, thinking that education and moral values build characters. They taught us the power of making a choice; they taught us the strength of taking a decision. You are what you make yourself to be, my father says. Today, I can proudly say, that I don’t need a reserved seat in the bus; I can stand through the entire journey, offering my seat to my elderly neighbour. I did not marry a man because his family asked for dowry, and I am raising a single child, a daughter, because I believe I can teach her the power to create her own destiny. This Women’s Day, I am going to tell her, she is not alone, neither is a burden, and teach her to take decisions, and step into the road less travelled, if that’s her choice. Yes, I think this time I am going to celebrate being a woman, with her.

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful blog on the occassion of Women's day.

I appreciate your thoughts & actions...

3. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I really love your blog ...Moumita....wonderful blog ...and a good one for Women's day.

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Thank you for your wonderful blog and the spirit behind it. Traditionally, I have heard from many parents that they raise their daughters to be brave and bold to make well informed decision. But rarely, a few turn out to be like you and your sister. it is learning the human values that builds character and the current education does not provide it. Being courageous is one of the traits every woman should have. They should independently make decision for their own life and once they are well settled in a happy family, then, they should think about contributing to the welfare of the family. The choices they make should be well-informed and should provide them a healthy and happy life. They should not make decisions or yield to decisions that would make them regret later.

They have to build a character that would respect every life as equal and shouldn't carry an impression that being submissive is being humble. They need to be assertive wherever necessary but should be bound only by love from fellow beings.

On this women's day, I would also make a request to all women. Sometimes, I see the problems of women are caused also by women. On this wonderful day, they should take oath that they would always help fellow women in all circumstances and they would not be the cause for sufferings of another women. Every one should take oath to be a nice MIL to their DIL and nice DIL to their MIL.

5. suryakala

suryakala IL Hall of Fame

Dear Moumita,
    Its a very nice Blog!!Being a woman means turning every negative in to positive. In most Society, women are taught to hide their inherent sensuality grace and beauty. Every woman must be allowed to be herself.See the circumstances and we have to move along with that.I really appreciate your ideas ,and It's a wonderful Blog for The International womens day for all our IL friends!!! Thanks.

6. nihasvin

nihasvin Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the thought provoking blog! Great to see you teaching your daughter about life.Sure your girl will grow into a bold and beautiful woman :)

7. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Moumita,

Happy womens day dear. Well chained the words and brought the reality a very good writeup dear. Yes we should know How we have to be inspite of hard situation.Still if anything done by the female very atrociously it will be in the records if a men did so he will have a cake walk. women should be recognised all the 365 days Her vital role in her family not only to have the delicious food made by her but with the LOVE AND WITH UTMOST CARE AND CAUTION she is bringing up her children the family relation, as a financial adviser and so on. Tks for sharing dear. By the way, is it your snap

8. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Hello, and thank you. Yes, the photo is of me :)

9. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Pallavi4me.

10. Moumita1

Moumita1 Silver IL'ite

Glad that you liked my writing, Anisu. Thank you.