1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

International Travel with a 9 month old

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nitu, Nov 19, 2005.

1. nitu

nitu Guest

Hi Friends-

I have a 6 month old baby and she was born here in the US. As my in laws would like to see her, I am taking her to India soon.

Since she is my first child, I don't have expereince traveling with a baby before. I would like to take maximum precaution and be prepared with everything for the travel. Can you provide me some tips and guidance on what I should and shouldn't do when traveling with a 9-month only baby?

Nitu

2. Mikki0579

Mikki0579 New IL'ite

Hi, i am also in the same situation, my brother is getting married in Fiji and i would like to go with my 6month old, anyone have any suggestions? :wave

3. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hello Nitu and Mikki,

I had travelled to India when my daughter was 3.5 months old...most of the times the babies just sleep in the plane. Thats what my baby did...she slept for most of the journey and would only wakeup for her feedings. My suggestion to you guys is....plan ahead and make a list of all important things you need everyday for your baby and take them in your carry-on bag. If you are still nursing your kid, you can continue to do so during your travel too. At London Heathrow airport, they have a diaper changing room which can be locked from inside and also the room has a chair and a sink too. I had used that to feed my baby. You can also nurse in the flight...carry some kind of a shawl or something for that.
    Also carry some ready made formula cans and some disposable liners for the feeding bottle, that way you don't have to worry about cleaning bottles for each feeding. The flight attendants will be helpful and will sterlize the bottles if you need them, but when the baby gets cranky its better to have some extra bottles or disposable liners.

During take-off and landing, make sure you feed them during that time...that will ease their ear pain.
    Another important thing if you are travelling alone with your baby - pack some food for yourself too. For me while coming back I was coming alone with the baby, couple of times when the airlines served food, I could not eat as I was either feeding my baby or changing her diaper or something. So better pack something for yourself.
    Let me know if you guys have any specific questions...

Take care,
    Sihi

4. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Nitu and Mikki

Sihi has provided all the details...!

You can also check with your pediatrician. My ped suggested that I carry some Benedryl and give the baby if he was crying and could not sleep. And one other thing to consider is how to carry the baby during the transit - this is a personal choice with some factors worth considering like the duration of transit and whether you are travelling alone or have company. I travelled to India twice before my child turned one - once when my kid was 6 months old and then 10 months old. The first time my husband was with me and I carried him, while my husband took care of the hand baggage, immigration, etc., The second time I travelled alone and had a baby carrier called hip hammock - which is like carrying the child in hip, but with the flexibility of using my arms. That was extremely useful. Many of my friends preferred an light weight (umbrella) stroller. So, you can think and try out what would work for you.

-Gayathri.

5. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

If U r not able to eat at the time when food is provided to U , U can tell them that u will like to take ur food after u will b done with ur baby's work and then they will provide you at that time.

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Just one point...this does not work with all kids.Some kids become over-active once you give this and they can give you a tough time.I am saying this from personal experience.

7. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

That's true. My ped suggested that I try Benedryl before taking it on the flight. It seems 99% of the kids sleep, the other 1% become hyper-active.

-Gayathri.

8. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

9. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

1).LIST OF THINGS FOR FLIGHT JOURNEY

A). FOR 2DAY FLIGHT JOURNEY U WILL NEED : U MAY EXEMPT ANYTHING
    FROM THE GIVEN LIST..DEPENDING ON WHAT THE BABIES/INFANTS EAT OR DRINK.

i)PACK YOUR DIAPER BAG :

-15-16 DIAPERS
    - CLEANING WIPES
    -DIAPER RASH OINTMENT
    -PAPER NAPKINS
    -3PAIRS OF DRESSES(SLEEP AND PLAY WEAR)
    -CAP,SOCKS.
    -BLANKET
    -GERBER FOOD ,GERBER CEREALS
    - GERBER JUICE
    -FORMULA(SIMILAC)PACKETS OR ENFAMILK WHATEVER U USE.
    -MILK BOTTLES WITH LINERS(PLAYTEX BRAND HAS WITH LINERS).
    -BIBS
    -RATTLES
    -GERBER BISCUITS
    -SNACKS ETC(SAMPLE PACKETS) .for kids of 2years,u can carry m&ms,CHIPS,COOKIES.
    -MINERAL WATER
    -THERMOMETER,TYLENOL(FOR PRECUATION),INFANT COLD DROPS.
    ii).UMBRELLA STROLLER(COLLAPSIBLE STROLLER) :- VERY MUCH USEFUL.THOUGH THEY TAKE IT AT PORT OF ENTRY AND GIVE IT IN THE DESTINATION,IT IS MORE USEFUL.

iii).ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO CARRY SOME FOOD FOR OURSELVES TOO (ESPECIALLY FOR FEEDING MOMS) LIKE SOME BREAD ROLLS,PULIYOGRE,PEAS RICE ETC IN SOME ZIPLOC BAGS.

iV). AND ESPECIALLY MOMS,PLEASE WEAR COMFORTABLE CLOTHING LIKE PANTS ETC ESPECIALLY APPAREL COMFORTABLE FOR NURSING FOR NURSING MOMS.

2).LIST OF THINGS TO BE PACKED FOR UR KID IN UR CHECK IN BAGGAGE : IAM LISTING THE IMPORTANT THINGS WHICH I CARRIED AND FELT USEFUL FOR MY KID.

i).LOTS OF DIAPERS,DIAPER RASH OINTMENT
    ii).CLEANING WIPES
    iii).ENOUGH GERBER FOODS AND JUICES,GERBER CEREAL PACKETS
    iV).GERBER TEETHING BISCUITS
    V).FORMULA
    Vi).BATH TUB(OPTIONAL)
    vii).johnson head to toe shampoo+hair shampoo,body lotion
    Viii).BRITA WATER PITCHER WITH EXTRA CATRIDGES.(its always good to
    use this purified water than taking mineral water throughout the trip
    in health point of view).
    ix).,EXTRA MILK BOTTLES (EXTRA SIPPY CUPS AND NESQUICK FOR KIDS
    AROUND 2 YEARS OLD).
    X).GERBER INFANT TOOTH PASTE AND FINGER BRUSH TO CLEAN INFANT TOOTH/TEETH.IF KID IS A TODDLER TAKE TODDLER TRAINING TOOTHPASTE.(FINGER BRUSH TO CLEAN BABY'S TEETH IS ALSO AVAILABLE IN INDIA IN MANY MEDICAL SHOPS IN INDIA OR IN SOME FAMILY CLOTHING STORES LIKE CHERMAS ,HYDERABAD ,BABY SUPPLIES SHOPS,ETC.).

NOTE: TRY TO BE EARLY TO AIRPORT AND CHECKIN EARLY AND REQUEST FOR BABY ISLE SEAT AND BASSINET .NORMALLY KIDS SLEEP IN THAT BASSINET HAPPILY.AIRHOSTESS IN THE FLIGHT WILL HELP U A LOTT.THEY ARE VERY HOSPITABLE TOO.IF U ARE BUSY WITH KID AND NOT READY WHEN THEY SERVE U FOOD,U CAN ASK THEM TO GET IT LATER .THEY ALSO SUPPLY GERBER FOOD.BUT I USUALLY DONT TAKE THAT COZ,THEY ARE NOT MANUFACTURED IN USA.I NOTICED SOME URDU SCRIPT ON IT..SO BETTER TO CARRY USA MAKE GERBER FOOD.

- ONE MORE THING DURING TAKEOFF AND LANDING,ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT U R FEEDING SOME FOOD/NURSING UR BABY SO THAT THEY DON'T FEEL ANY DISCOMFORT IN THEIR EARS.NORMALLY BABIES CRY BCOZ OF EAR DISTURBANCES DURING TAKE OFF OR LANDING.EVEN FOR US WHEN FLIGHT TAKES OFF AND LANDS,ITS BETTER WE SWALLOW JUST LIKE THAT,SO THAT WE DON'T FEEL ANY DISCOMFORT IN OUR EARS.

Hope this helps u travelling moms,
    -HAPPY AND SAFE JOURNEY,
    -VAISHU

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  10. fanny

fanny New IL'ite

Hi Nitu,

I have travelled with my first child of 2.5 months to India, There is nothing to worry, the information most of the ladies have given, I totally agree with them the most important is to feed your baby during flight takeoff and landing.
    One more thing that I feel to mention here, please take few bottles of mineral water with you for the baby, and use that water only for baby, as the water change some times affects babies health.

Wishing you a happy journey.

1 person likes this.