International Schools in Singapore

Discussion in 'Schools/Playgroups/Daycares in Singapore' started by akalyaraju, Sep 6, 2007.

1. njoshin

njoshin New IL'ite

Dear Rashi
    Thanks for useful note. I will be moving to Singapore in November. My daughter is 8 years old and in 2nd standard SSC board. My office is in Tuas and I ahve to yet search home. Very tense. Being in ssc board will she able to et admission in Yuvabharati school. For local school which school you advice?
    Regards
    Nitin

2. greeniceaqua

greeniceaqua New IL'ite

Hi Rashi

We too are moving to Singapore. My son is in 7th grade in a school in B'lore. ?What is ur opinion abt moving him to a local school in singapore now? what is the syllabus like? I heard there admissions are in Jan. So will he have to sacrifice an academic year ?

pls suggest
    Deepa

3. vanichennai

vanichennai New IL'ite

Hi
    I am new to IL. you are really doing great.
    i wanted to give feedback about Yuvabharathi school singapore
    My daughter is studying in Yuvabharthi for the past 2 years
    Initially school was putting lot efforts to create good standard
    Definitely the fee is less compared to other international schools in singapore
    But as usual they are becoming greedy by seeing the increase in enrollment
    initially in 2010 when they started the one time registration fee was 500 $
    But now it has raised to 1400 $ ( check their website )
    And slowly they are increasing the fees too
    they have upto to 9th std and there are only 15 students

Definitely the standards of the teachers cannot be compared to teachers in chennai or bangalore and it is wrong to expect here, But atleast some minimum standards should be there which is missing here. Most of the teachers doesnt have teaching experience. Most of them are housewives. I have personally seen one of the teacher working there for few months resigned and joined a indian grocery store. later i heard that she was paid too low.few teachers ( 4 to 5) are from India. Their standards are good but not upto the international school standard. They just use the Singapore brand name and earn the money here. I dont expect great infrastructure but the teaching standards can be good for the money we pay.

The fourth standard English teacher cannot even speak good english and she dont have good attitude in teaching also. The school must spend some money for bringing them to good standards. The attrition rate of the teachers is very high. May be they are paid too low. So the class teachers will be keep changing often.

They are not even two years old. But started increasing the fees. I dont know about GIIS, NPS. But they are here for almost 10 years. They have created some standards. But Yuvabharathi is yet to establish the standard but you can see their greediness from the increasing of registration fees from 500 to 1400 in less than 2 years.

It is sad to see that they are using the Singapore brand name and use for earning money only and not caring about any standards.

4. MeherN

MeherN New IL'ite

Hello All,

Firstly thanks for all your valuable inputs on the schools in Singapore.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif][if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> We are planning to relocate to Singapore in the next two months. I have a 5 years + daughter who is going to nursery due to the age criteria here in a school in Delhi (India).

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif][if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif][if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![end-->I had a query regarding Indian International Schools in Singapore. I wanted to know if we can put her in 1st standard there in any of the two Indian Intl schools, do they allow this if she has the skill and aptitude?If so, then what kind of aptitude test / written test will she be put here through? This will help me prepare her in advance.

She is already a year late here in India and we really do not want her to miss one more year. So please advice on this.

Also, I found out that DPS is ICSE while GIIS is CBSE based, I would prefer a cbse based school as we may plan to move back to India in the coming years.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance!
    Kriti

5. sharvari gore

sharvari gore New IL'ite

Re: Confused regarding school choice for my daughter..please advise..soon!

Hi Rachana,
    Can please share your feedback on NPS Intl School ? I'm looking for help as feedbck as we plan to soon move to Singapore and looking out for admission for my daughter nw 7yrs in 1st Std in Bangalore ICSE school
    really appreciate if you can give your comments

thanks
    regards
    Sharvari

6. sharvari gore

sharvari gore New IL'ite

Hi
    It will be great help if you can share your feedback on intl indian school in Singapore. We plan to shift there soon. Looking for good school in singapore for my daughter 7 yrs currently in 1std ICSE bangalore school

please share your feedback

thanks
    regards
    Sharvari

7. Indianfamily

Indianfamily New IL'ite

Hello,
    Can someone publish or point to the list of good local schools that we should consider ?

Thanks

8. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

A good place to start would be school information service and kiasu parents site.

9. ni26

ni26 New IL'ite

Hi
    I will be moving this dec... was thinkinh that in property guru when I.search for condo close to say nexus interntaionl school its shows some condo with 500mtr distance but same thing in Google maps shows 950mtr... can anyone explain why such difference ? Whom to trust?

10. Ash100ind

Ash100ind New IL'ite

Hi Everyone

I am Aswathy. We are moving to Singapore from India in a week time. My daughter is 5 years. She is in k2 now. We prefer cbse Indian school. Both NPS and GIIP have space to accommodate her. Is there a age criteria in Singapore schools to enroll her in k2. Please help me understand pros and cons of both schools. We are also looking for place to stay and it again depends on my daughters school proximity. Please help me understand good residential areas near to school.

TiA for all wonderful ppl out there

[Q1UOTE="vkrithika1, post: 352419, member: 16023"]Re: indian school in singapore

Dear neha,

NPS(national public school) is one of the Best schools in bangalore.Education and discipline is too good there.Even in bangalore the fees is on the higher side and very difficult to get admission.

So definitely NPS singapore should be very good.

Even i am planning to relocate to singapore.May be i will also look for NPS or GIIS.[/QUOTE]