1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

International Mother Language Day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Feb 21, 2017.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

February 21st is celebrated as"International mother language day" from the year 2000.

It was a social movement built on the spirit to defend the rights to write in one's mother language.

International Mother Language Day has been being observed since 2000[4] to promote peace and multilingualism. The date corresponds to the day in 1952 when students from the University of Dhaka, Jagannath College and Dhaka Medical College, demonstrating for the recognition of Bengali as one of the two national languages of East Pakistan, were brutally shot dead by police (then under Pakistan government) near the Dhaka High Court in the capital of present-day Bangladesh.

News source - Wikipedia

"Languages are the most powerful instruments of preserving and developing our tangible and intangible heritage. All moves to promote the dissemination of mother tongues will serve not only to encourage linguistic diversity and multilingual education but also to develop fuller awareness of linguistic and cultural traditions throughout the world and to inspire solidarity based on understanding, tolerance and dialogue."

— from the United Nations International Mother Language Day microsite[6]

For each one their mother language is precious, there is no doubt about it. But there is no harm in learning other languages of different cultures to derive the good things from other cultures.
    The world has become small and people go in search of green pastures. Job opportunities are very less if a person stick to only mother tongue.

For each one their mother tongue is precious, there is no doubt about it. But language fanaticism is not acceptable in a multi language multi cultural country.
    Except Tamilians other language people mostly converse in their own language. But when people are in a group it is nice to speak in a language most people understand.

It is difficult to get job if one stick to only mother tongue. People who learn different languages get more opportunities. India has the second largest population in the world and so it is difficult to prvide employment to all. That's the reason for youngsters going to foreign countries for higher studies and after finishing the studies getting settled there.

If wishes were horses I would like to see India becoming a job creater instead of a job seeker.

Agatha83 likes this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Pushpaji,
    Yes it very important to know yr mother tongue, for each MT has something unique which u cannot explain in other language.
    i can speak and understand, but iu cant read or write Sindhi, which is like urdu. i tried but could not understand.
    My children are also the same.
    And we have some curses, which mothers give when angry, which will make opthers laugh if translated.
    one of them translated is
    May your Boat sink
    May yr feet turn black and blue.
    Etc
    HAHA

Regards
    kamal

3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear PS,
    yes, you have rightly said mother tongue has its own importance but there is need to stop fanatism towards it. Even to this day although much progress has been made individually by regional languages also, the fact remains that a proper English language medium of education spells success - of course there may be a few exceptions here and there.

PushpavalliSrinivasan likes this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear kamal ji,
    trust you to find the humour even in such a post! The literally translated curses of your mother tongue - :laughing::laughing::laughing:

5. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Hi OP,
    Good post..I never knew about this 'mother language day' I understand how much you've got hurt seeing tamilians neglecting our language..but you can not generalise all tamilians for the same..There are people who still value our language.I personally make sure I speak only in tamil with tamilians once i come to know..but definitely its a caution message to bring back our tamil language to life because a language will survive only as long as people are using it in their day to day life..Idha tamilah reply pannanum nu nenachen but tanglish writing la konjam poor..:grimacing: ..

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Ha ha Kamalji,
    Mothers giving curses when angry is like blessings and so the curses will have no effecct.

Do the Sindhi language also is written from right to left? It is a pity that many native and tribal languages are dying because people only start using it only for oral communication.
    As my children were brought up in Bihar they studied in English medium, but second language was Hindi and they had Sanskrit also. But they all can read Tamil, but my daughter only can write in Tamil.
    PS

7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear joylokhi,
    Because we were under British rule our people had to learn English. Anyways it was really beneficial and in some states it is still continuing. It is difficult to understand engineering and science subjects without knowing English. In fact in IITs special coaching class conducted for students who have studied in their vernacular language forEnglish.
    PS

joylokhi likes this.
  8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Are Tamilians a bit more anglophones than other linguistic groups in India ? I didn't know that.

Speaking in MT brings strangers and acquaintances closer. Perhaps this is the reason Tamils want to speak in ingliss. It helps to keep strangers and acquaintances at a safe distance, until more vetting is done to let the acquaintanceship move on to closer relationships. Those who do not have this filter, could get suckered into things that they are not yet ready for. Like a suhaag raat in an arranged marriage.

Imagine what would happen if the new Tamilian bride had said...in Ingliss..." not yet.. buster" ;)

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear bhagya,
    I really feel sad to see the children of first generation people who have settled in US and other English speaking countries mostly converse in English only. They don't speak in Tamil at home. When they come to India on holiday grandparents, specially grandmas who doesn't know English feel sad that they can't speak with their grand children. Even those who know English also find it difficult to understand because of the accent.
    Your tanglish is not bad and I can understand it.
    PS

bhagya85 and Nonya like this.
  10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

:yum::treadmill: Ha ha, this is a good one.

PS

Nonya likes this.