Interesting ruling by the Punjab and Haryana court in favour of women

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by satchitananda, Feb 13, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

JAG, this ruling does not imply such a situation. Only if you read this ruling in conjunction with the definition of cruelty as defined by the SC then it seems weighted against the man. But no fears, that will never happen. It would be an absurd to have a chimeric law. :-D

1 person likes this.
  2. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

You may not be a minority. I had the same thoughts..the interference can go beyond limits and this is because things have come to this. This also seems biased and seems to protect women cos that is what we've been seeing all through the years, women being hurt. How many marriages ended with the husband being tortured for a dowry or for not wanting to support his family and runs away?

I am not supporting women and ignoring men. Its just that things seemed to have leaned to one extreme so much and its just rocking to the other end now.

I would request that this thread be posted in the marriage forum or at least link it to there. I understand there will be a lot of emotional influence but I am not sure if everyone is aware of the existence of it here. This is something everyone should be able to discuss about.

3. satchitananda

True Tanoshi, but the fact that society has become so one sided in favouring only men and their interests has brought things to this pass.

4. tanoshii

tanoshii Platinum IL'ite

I understand that. I guess the cause for as much disciplining is the need created by us. :)

5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

I agree Satchi....but aren't we compounding it trying to go the other way ? No offense but isn't this the same problem with the current reservation system in Indian colleges and govt jobs based on caste ?
    Its practically impossible to fire /re-primand anyone for incompetency( if u belong to certain castes) .
    If anything it has deepened the divide.

1 person likes this.
  6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Tanoshi....its not about numbers. Its about being fair. Even if ONE of these cases exist I think that ONE should have legal rights. What if that ONE ends up being our son or brother ?
    Rights should be the same whether u are young or old ,male or female (or neither) and what ever religion u follow.

Men may not be harassed in a marriage for dowry but there are plenty of cases where they are the victims.
    Currently we have no protection for them in the Indian legal system.
    As an engineer...I can relate my work philosophy to this .When we have a problem with a system and the current load cannot handle the old dying approach we had in place we can put a patch (band aid) .But ..the sad truth is ...patches dont work very long.
    It eventually breaks else where. I think we should fix things the right way.
    Re-architect the system. Even if it is expensive and time consuming...that is usually the right way to go.

7. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Well, there seem to be two different issues underlying this judgement

1. The right to carry/abort a child I feel should ultimately be the woman's call. Yes, maybe it sounds one-sided (and of course there are going to be misuses which should be prevented), but at the end of the day, it is the woman who physically CARRIES the child in her womb. So depending on the woman's physical and mental (maybe in case of mental instability), she should have the right to abort the child.
    2. At the same time, it should be in a couple's (both husband and wife's) decision to have a child.

So targeting laws for rule breakers, and coming up with more changes and more laws, to reform the prior, is not going to help.

Yes, as a country, India is more patriarchial, whereas some societies like Kerala and Bengal (a couple I know), are still matriarchial. So rather than having such regional divides on gender, we as a society need to move towards a balanced position. Rather than issue such case-specific rulings, I would like it if there are certain acts that were issued earlier, that could be reformed, so that it makes difficult to break it, and find loopholes!

8. satchitananda

I can see exactly what you are saying JAG. Two wrongs do not make a right. But the cycle of injustice, vengeance, injustice to the other side ..... has to be broken somewhere, sometime. I really cannot guess when or how that is going to happen.

9. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Well, which is what happened no, Satchi? I'm not siding any parties. The brahmins, who were the so-called upper caste, ruled the society, and there was an uprising, and now its the other way round. In the name of vengeance and years of injustice, we are going through another century of injustice (only this time its the other way round). So answer to injustice is not letting the other party have an upper hand. It is to come up with laws, that are moderate, and fair to all segments of the society!

Edit : In short, I'm a supporter of finance-based reservations. Where there are divides in the society based on family incomes, and reservations accordingly, just so that, people who actually need to be benefitted, get benefitted. Anyways, do not want to divert the thread. Back to topic!

1 person likes this.
  10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

If both parties can discuss this openly before marriage then there needs to be no court ruling surely? And that can happen only if we are willing to look at it as a matter of choice for the man and woman. It should not be an automatic assumption. Both sexes should want children. We get caught up in the parents' feelings but who suffers the most when one parent doesn't want a child? The child!