1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inter-country adoption

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by kvinde, Sep 11, 2014.

1. kvinde

kvinde Senior IL'ite

My husband and I are contemplating to go for adoption regardless of whether I conceive or not. I have been suffering from primary infertility and have opted for fertility treatment. We both live abroad and continue to hold Indian passport. We have no intention of returning back to India for the time being. So we were wondering is it tough for NRI's to adopt a baby in India? How will the agency conduct a home-study as none of us live there? Are we expected to be present through out the procedure? How does the whole adoption thing work for Indians who live abroad? My husband hails from Banglore so we will go for agencies in Banglore. Any advice on which agency we should approach? We want to adopt a girl child in infancy stage.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Neharoy and KashmirFlower like this.

2. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I think 'on line Registration' has been made compulsory.
    Core problems faced by NRIs these days.
    1. Because of increase in kidnapping incidents, CARA( Centre for Resource Adoption Agency) has tightened the belt too much.
    2.When an infant is handed over to the adoption agencies,first preference is given to Indians living in India.A child, when rejected by three local intending parents, alone is listed for adoption by NRIs.

Which child will be rejected? Normally children with some deformity, birth defects, lungs or cordiac problems or some genetic muscular or brain disorder only under the list of adoption to NRIS.
    As a result NRI parents have more chances of getting a physically challenged child.
    It was not this case earlier.Number of children adopted in 2013-14 has reduced drastically because of this reason.
    Many NRIs, grease the palms of Adoption Agencies to get a healthy baby.
    It is not as if we come to India on a month's leave, and go back with your beloved child.
    To avoid these things, many NRIs shift the residence for a year or two to India, apply as locals, get things completed within a year and then settle abroad. As Indians you will be getting a healthy baby so that parents need not spend life in treating the child and enjoy parenthood at ease.
    I should not be mistaken for discouraging. This is the real situation. Only last week, a page full of articles on'Adoption' were published in Indian Express.

When my niece, NRI, adopted in 2001, it was not this difficult. Even then she stayed with us for 9 months for getting NOC from CARA, getting court order etc.
    The 2nd child she adopted an Indian child from overseas itself, through an Indian agency.
    After submitting Home Study they got the baby within a month. She brought the baby. He( the child) was just 40 days old.All the procedures abroad were completed within 4 months.Now the boy is 10 years old.

In India biological mothers are given three months'time to reconsider their decision.After getting No objection letter from the biological parents, when the child is listed already 6 months are over.It is difficult to get a baby below 8 months. Normally one wishes to adopt a baby of few months so that affinity develops strong enough.

It is suggested that you make enquiries about the possibility of getting healthy children informally from the agency in Bangalore and then proceed.From CARA website you can get phone numbers of adoption Agencies in Bangalore.
    Dharmapuri and Salem in Tamilnadu are places where girl babies are discarded.Normally many girl children are from that area only.
    Some people of get hold of mothers who are pregnant with her 4th or 5th child and gets things easily moved.
    Adoption is a process in which one may have to bend the rules, though not break it.
    Jayasala 42

madras2018 likes this.
  4. BlueOrchids

BlueOrchids New IL'ite

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I completely agree with Jayasala.... the ratio Indians living in India Vs NRI is 80-20.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]we have also applied fo adoption as NRI and its been 8 months since we submitted our home study report and till date no news . we have been informed beforehand that it will take minimum 2 yrs or god knows how much..so i will advice that...do complete enquiry before appling and go through CARA only...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]rest is upto God... will pray for you...stay blessed [/COLOR]

5. vandana123

vandana123 New IL'ite

Just read your message. I too am looking at adopting a child from India. I am based in California, San Jose and was looking to see if anyone else has a success story. Could you let me know of the progress you have made.

6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

7. vandana123

vandana123 New IL'ite

Hi Rakhii, Thanks for moving my post accordingly. I think I needed to be more specific pertaining to this. My intended question was on inter-country-adoption. Let me post again being more specific here.

8. vandana123

vandana123 New IL'ite

Hi Jayasala42,

You post above is very informative. In same lines I agree that inter-country-adoption has been completely stream-lined through CARA and pretty much the only decision making the prospective adoptive parents have is , "choice of home-study agency", choice of adoption agency, specifics of child they want to adopt and state in India from which they choose to adopt. In the above lines I am trying to see if anyone here has any criteria through which they were able to choose their agency for adoption in United States. I would also deeply appreciate if anyone can provide any contact information for persons who have adopted similarly from United States. You can send me a message too.

9. laksravi

laksravi New IL'ite

Hi Kvinde,
    i would like to know the status on your adoption. Have you adopted a child yet? If yes, then I would like to clarify some points with you. We live in Singapore and we also plan to adopt a girl child. I researched a little bit on the inter country adoption process and learned that CARA only will chose the agency for us and the child. I wanted to know whether there is anyway that we can get assurance of a healthy baby. I already have a 7 year old son with some disabilities. Don't want to make life more difficult..

Neharoy likes this.