Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @peartree
    Thanks a ton for the recipe.
    Here it is... Vazhakai podimas in my lunch box..
    Podimas9-768x918.jpg
    I used the powder you had suggested.

momsky, Nonya, Laks09 and 5 others like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

OPOS - Mixed Vegetable Pulao

Ingredients:

1) Basmati Rice
    2) Carrots
    3) Beans/Peas
    4) Oil
    5) Garlic paste
    6) Ginger paste
    7) Ghee
    8) Cashews
    9) Basil leaves
    10)Celintro
    11)Mint leaves
    12)Salt
    13)Onion

Instructions:

1) Pour oil in the small cooker and heat the oil in the induction stove. Add onion, cashews, Basil leaves, Mint leaves, Garlic paste, Ginger paste and Celintro and fry them. Add Basmati rice, carrots and beans/peas, ghee and salt. Add appropriate water. Keep the cooker pressurized until you get 5 whistles. Allow the pressure to be released on its own and eat delicious Mixed Vegetable Pulao. Don't forget to make a nice Raita of your choice to eat with Mixed Vegetable Pulao.

OPOS 03012017.jpg

Amica, Laks09, peartree and 1 other person like this.
  3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I have observed that the bisi-bele bhath itself tastes yummier when left overnight!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    justanothergirl likes this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Awwww, thank you and likewise!! I would love to meet you and I am sure I could learn a ton from you :)

I really might just take you up on your offer one day :) I was literally drooling when I read the arisi upma recipe because I have such a fond childhood memory. When I was maybe 10 or 11, I remember going to visit my "mama-thatha" in the outskirts of Madras and going by bus and not auto and being hungry had all made my quite cranky. We went and my aunt had made arisi upma which we ate with potato vatha kuzhambu and it was like I had roamed a desert and finally chanced upon the sweetest river!! I still remember that meal, after som 20+ years! :) Your post brought back the memory of that bus travel, my long gone relatives and of course, the taste of yummy arisi upma :)

kkrish likes this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Wow, Viswa sir. DO you use the Sela variety of Basmati rice? I am amazed that the rice looks so fluffy even aftr 5 whistles! Pulao is another dish that fails me unless I make it in the Instant Pot or a regular electric rice cooker in getting too mushy or burned at the bottom because I am too cautious with water!

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@peartree

No. It is regular Basmati Rice.

Viswa

7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Came home tired and hungry. Perfect for such days. Now I know what u mean by not having the guts to put 1 cup of water. I used 2 too. It was a bit watery. Needed to leave it in the saute mode after opening the lid for about 5 min . I used manual mode high pressure for 18 min. NPR. It was plenty. It had good texture..not completely mushy. Also used 2 tomatoes instead of tomato paste. There was not one pav left and I couldnt toast them fast enough. Keeper.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@
    The sucess lies in the traditional simmering and freshly ground masalas.
    Pearl onions, drumsticks, knolkhols, those firm veges that wont get mashed witg the simmering.
    i make it the same way but leave it to
    Simmer in a deep bottom vessel and temper in ghee with mustard, groundnuts, cashews, curry leavesand the one red chilli. Cook it by morning 8 simmers till 11 and heat it at 7 for parties. Never fails.

Side dish ennai kathrikai, potatoes chips and vadams.

P.s: i love the traditional
    Simmers. No ip. But do a lot of one pot meals. And with dd trying her hand at cooking, she loves the saute, add, presurre cook and mix and box it recipes. Should think of one for her.

justanothergirl likes this.
  9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Cant beat slow cooking!

Shanvy likes this.
  10. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

Hi vishwa sir,
    Your wife uses opos method ? Have you learnt opos . I make following items using opos : mushroom masala , gobi masala, dum aloo, pepper chicken , onion chutney , daily i flash veggies for poriyal using opos , chicken kuruma .
    But few itema like potato varuval , pulav i dont try as bottom gets burnt. Also mint thokku was not that tasty
    Opos tomoto thokku has become famous. Try it out. All opos dishes is done in 5 mins . I love opos . I want to try lots . But my hubby likes only traditional way of making kolambu . Even my mom was criticizing .
    But few items are so easy to do .
    If i do onion chuney traditional metgod , ut takes 45 mins . Using opos it takes 10 mins . And i do it in opos and dont tell it is done that way . So my hubby says it is tasty

Viswamitra likes this.