Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Heat causes fats to break down and burn. So the longer you heat the oil by itself (with no other ingredients ie before adding tadka stuff), the greater opportunity for the fats to burn. Oil takes longer to heat when added to a cold IP than to a hot IP. So wait till the IP is HOT before adding fats, especially if you're using olive oil or butter.

I haven't experienced IP-stickiness yet.

2. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Toss them! The IP is now so cheap, there's not much of a market left for the old cookers.

I kept one pressure cooker because it's unused and still in the box. Also, I paid more for it than I did for my IP. :rolleyes:

Laks09 likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Vegetable Rice Recipe

Ingredients

1) Cabbage
    2) Cauliflower
    3) Capsicum
    4) Brinjal
    5) Rice
    6) Ginger
    7) Onion
    8) Cashews
    9) Oil
    10) Mustard seeds
    11) Chili powder
    12) Salt
    13) Asafoetida

Making Instructions

1) Pour oil in Saute mode and season Mustard seeds
    2) Add cashews, onions and ginger and fry them for a while
    3) Add Cabbage, Cauliflower, Capsicum and Brinjal with 400 ML of water
    4) Add Chili powder, Salt and Asafoetida to taste
    5) Add Rice 200 ML

Change from Saute mode to Manual mode and cook for 18 minutes.

The result is

IL - Instant Pot Recipe - 12282018.jpg

Amica, Rihana, kkrish and 2 others like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is it 18 minutes on low pressure? I usually do 4-5 mins on high pressure for veggie pulav. If not the overcooked and/or veggies are mushy.

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Laks09

This blogpost got me thinking today. Making wine in the IP using yogurt mode. I better not share this with my Dad! He will immediately want an IP.

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Laks09,

Yes. In low pressure. For certain vegetables, I use low pressure and more minutes.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. Laks09

Instapot/Crock Pot Dal Makhani
    This is an easy party dish and is a favorite with my family.

Adjust the butter and cream or omit it if you are watching what you eat but a little butter does enhance the flavor of the dish considerably! I use a rice cooker cup to measure out the portions below and it easily fills up a big Corelle serving dish so make sure you adjust quantities for your use. I also use a lot of ginger/garlic in this recipe for sensitive tummies at home. You can definitely use lesser quantities.

Ingredients:
    1) Whole Black Urad Dal - 3/4 cup
    2) Rajma - 1/4 cup
    3) Ginger - 1.5" piece
    4) Garlic - 12 cloves
    5) Red Onion - One medium-sized or half of a large one
    6) Tomatoes - 2 medium ones(non sour variety)
    7) Kashmiri Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
    8) Regular chilly powder - 1/2 tsp (optional)
    9) Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
    10) Bay leaves - 2/3
    11) Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
    12) CCC - Cloves 3, Cinnamon 1", Cardamom 3 pods (or substitute with 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1/2 tsp curry powder or Kitchen king masala)
    13) Aamchur powder - 1/2 tsp (Sometimes I add anar dana instead and tastes yummy too).
    14) Brown sugar - 1/2 - 1 tsp
    15) Kasuri methi - 1 tsp
    16) Butter - 3 Tbsp
    17) Heavy cream - 1-3 Tbsp

Previous Night:
    1) Wash the dals and add it to the IP/Crockpot with 1/2" piece of ginger, salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Add enough water to ensure the dals don't stick to the bottom of the pan. I use my finger to measure the water and ensure it is two lines above the dal.
    2) Turn on slow cooker mode in IP and use the lowest setting. Use the lowest setting in the crock pot if using the CP.
    3) Cover with a glass lid.

Alternatively, you could soak dals in water and start cooking in the morning. IP manual 10-15 mins or Crockpot next morning on the highest setting for an hour or so. If you don't want to start the previous day and haven't soaked the dals, then add dals, ginger, salt, turmeric to IP and cook it in the bean/chilli mode for 20 mins(or 20 mins manual, high pressure).

Morning:
    The dals are cooked and ready for seasoning. Adjust the water if the water is running low in the IP/crockput.

1) Pound or grind coarse the ginger, garlic, jeera and whole spices(if using).
    2) In a pan, heat about a tsp of coconut oil or butter.
    3) Add the bay leaves, wait for a few seconds and add in the ground ginger/garlic mix and saute until slightly brown and the raw garlic smell is gone.
    4) Add onions and saute until brown.
    5) Add chilly powders and garam masala/curry powder and saute for a few seconds, taking care not to burn it. A good way for beginners to do this will be to mix the powders in a bowl with a little water making it a thick paste and adding that to the onions. It gives you time to add in the tomatoes.
    6) Add tomatoes and a little water and cook it to a mush.
    7) Add this masala to the IP/CP and mix well.
    8) Change the settings of the IP to slow cook high. Make it high on the CP. Cover with a glass lid.
    9) Adjust water and let it sit for about 3/4 hrs.

10) Add the amchur and brown sugar and mix. At this point you can change the IP setting back to low. CP can continue on high for about 6 hrs or could be made lower if the dals are well cooked and the masalas are all incorporated. Check on water levels periodically to ensure the sides of the pot don't burn.
    11) Let it sit on low until just before you start serving.
    12) Add the remaining butter and cream.
    13) Crush the kasuri methi well between your palms and add.
    14) Mix well and transfer to a dish.
    If I'm entertaining, I take the dal out of the crock pot 30 mins before guests arrive to give me time to clean the pot and put it away. I have also served it in the crockpot itself at times.

Amica, Rihana, Gauri03 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Laks09

Ghee Rice/ Ney Choru
    This easy ghee rice can be made on the stove top or IP. It's a must have at my place as an accompaniment to chicken/mutton curries or vegetable kurma. As with all my recipes, reduce the ginger/garlic if it is too much for your style.

Ingredients:
    1) Jeera rice(or basmathi) - 2 Cups
    2) Ginger - 1/2" piece
    3) Garlic - 4 cloves
    4) Jeera - 1/2 tsp(Optional - If I'm making this with curries that already have a lot of jeera in it, I omit).
    5) Green chillies - Per taste, I use two.
    6) CCC - Cloves 2, Cinnamon 1/2", Cardamom 1 pod.
    7) Star anise - 1 Petal, Jathipathri - Two petals, Marathi Moggu -1 (All optional and not traditionally used. It enhances the flavor though).
    8) Bay leaves - 2/3
    9) Nutmeg - a small pinch.
    10) Ghee - 2 tsp for frying and an optional 1-2 tblsps.
    11) Raisins and Cashews
    12) Onion - 1 whole sliced long.
    13) Sugar - 1/2 tsp

Directions:
    1) Wash and soak the rice in water for 30 mins or more.
    2)Heat a little bit of the reserved ghee in a pan and fry out the cashews and raisins. Transfer to a dish.
    3) In the rest of the ghee, roast onions. When the onions are roasted and mostly brown, add the sugar and ensure the onions roast really well. I'm impatient and my onions are never well toasted but the sugar trick helps.
    4) You could do the above in the IP but I don't like to get my IP inner pot deglazed before making the rice.
    5) Pound or grind all the whole masalas, ginger, garlic, jeera. When coarsely done, add the chillies and pound a little.
    6)Turn on the IP to Saute mode(normal). While waiting for the IP to get hot, drain the rice and place in a strainer. Simultaneously, in a sauce pan bring 3.5 cups of water to a rolling boil.
    7) When hot, add the ghee for frying.
    8) To the hot ghee, add the bay leaves, wait a few seconds and add the pounded ginger/garlic paste.
    9) Once the raw smell is gone and the garlic is lightly brown, add in the nutmeg, stir once and add the rice and salt to taste.
    10) Fry the rice a little ensuring the color doesn't change.
    11) Turn off saute mode. Carefully, pour the boiling water in the IP and close the pot with the lid. I've scalded my hand many times with the steam from the water hitting the hot IP so be careful.
    12) Turn on the rice mode to default mins or manual high pressure for 4 mins.
    13) Quick release after a minute and use a fork to fluff up the rice.
    14) Add the reserved ghee. I don't measure usually, I add a little at a time and mix until the rice looks glazed and good. You can skip this step or use just a tsp of ghee for the smell.
    15) Garnish with the Raisins, cashews, and fried onions.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Amica, Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  9. Laks09

Kerala Mutton Curry/Fry
    Ingredients:
    1) Mutton - 1.5 lbs
    2) Ginger - 2" piece.
    3) Garlic - 1 whole.
    4) Whole Pepper - 1 tbsp(reduce for reduced spice)
    5) Jeera - 2 tsp
    6) Green chilly - 2 (Optional)
    7) Kashmiri Chilly powder - 2 tsp
    8) Regular chilly powder - 1 tsp (reduce for reduced spice)
    9) Coriander powder - 3 tsp
    10) CCC - Cloves 2, Cinnamon 1/2", Cardamom 1 pod or 1 tsp garam masala(Optional but I like to use).
    11) Red Onions - 2 large. If available I also use a handful of shallots.
    12) Curry leaves - 3 sprigs
    13) Coconut oil - 2 tsp

Directions:
    1) Wash and clean the mutton and marinate in a tsp of kashmiri chilly powder and turmeric. Pound 1/4" ginger and 2-3 cloves of garlic along with 1 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp jeera and add to the marinade. Let the mutton sit for an hour or so.

2) Pound or grind the rest of the ginger/garlic/pepper/jeera along with the CCC.
    3) Turn on IP to saute mode normal and heat.
    4) When hot, add the coconut oil. To the hot oil, add the pounded ginger/garlic paste, curry leaves and slit green chillies. Ensure it toasts well and the raw garlic smell goes away.
    5) Add the onions and shallots and brown.
    6) Add the powdered spices and roast for a few seconds(mix it in a bowl with a tsp of water before adding if you have a tendency to burn it).
    7) Add the mutton and mix it well to ensure the pieces are all coated with the masala.
    8) Do not add salt. Turn off saute mode.
    9) Add about 1/2 cup water, close the IP and turn on meat mode for 16/17 minutes. Let pressure release naturally.
    10) Open the IP and adjust water if required. Now add salt. At this point if you cannot smell the masalas, you can roast some CCC and curry leaves in coconut oil, turn off the stove, add a little bit of coriander powder(1/2 tsp) and mix it into the pot. I generally add some water and turn on saute mode low for about 30 minutes after this for the curry to incorporate all the masalas. I also add a tsp of coconut oil.

To make it taste authentic, if you have fresh coconut available, you could roast coconut pieces in oil and add it to the curry.

Mutton Fry variation:
    1) Follow steps 1-4 above. Skip adding the onions but continue with the spice powders.
    2) Do not add water while cooking it in meat mode for 15 minutes.
    3) Heat a pan on the stove(I use a cast iron skillet) and add a tbsp of coconut oil.
    4) To the hot oil, add onions and brown.
    5) Add 2/3 sprigs of curry leaves and transfer the mutton from the IP to the pan and fry till all the water evaporates.
    6) Add coconut oil and coat all the pieces completely before switching the stove off.

I usually make the curry and take about half of it the pieces out with a slotted spoon before adding the water and making the gravy thick. I use these pieces to make the fry with lesser onions(since the curry has onions already).

Yes - I've decided to use all the modes in the IP :)

Amica, Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Laks09 ! Going to try them all. The dal makhani is already on my meal plan for this week.

Laks09 likes this.