Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

2. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your response, and I should have mentioned explicitly. Any ways on a related note, is there anything I should be doing particularly to have less residue, like constant stirring or mixing the contents on the side of the vessel to the bottom periodically...?

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I honestly do not know @msm .
    I always stir it continuously ... :)

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Many recipes for IP say to heat the inner pot, and add oil only after it says HOT. Apparently, this prevents the ingredients from sticking to the pot base. Any science to this? I usually add the oil right away when I press Saute. Or after a minute if pot is moist.

kkrish likes this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Good question.
    Have no idea. Need to do some research on this.

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Please may I get a recommendation for stacked containers to put in a 6 quart IP so I can cook dal and veggies simultaneously.

An Amazon link would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

When hot, the oil becomes thin (viscosity down) as well as more oil vapours happen. The oil/vapours coat the bottom surface. However, adding oil when the pan isn't wet ,& not hot yet, is OK. When it gets hot, the oil would thin out, and spread -- even with the (dry) Tadka-items floating it in. If saute'ing any wet items (onions, ginger, garlic, curry leaf etc..) wait till oil is hot and the surfaces coated with it.

In saute'ing using a sauce pan, you'd notice (in TV cooking shows) that the chef would pick up the pan by its handle and do a swirl to coat the bottom and sides with the hot oil, and then put it back on the flame/heater, before adding the tadka-oilfry-items. Coating of the surface helps prevent stick-ons. After all, oil is a release-agent, lubricant etc.. I could attach a youtube video where a chef actually does/says this...

One girl (met at an old potluck) uses the oil-soaked pom to coat the inside of her rice cooker at every start; says that it prevents rice from sticking to the bottom.

Rihana and Vedhavalli like this.
  8. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Amazon.com: Stackable Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker Steamer Insert Pans with Sling and egg rack - Instant Pot in Pot Accessories- Food Steamer for cooking- Fits 6 & 8 qt instant pot (On Sale Limited Time!): Kitchen & Dining
    It's 25$.
    If you have someone visiting or your having plans to go India. Prestige stores have 2 set steel insert for 950INR. Very sturdy and has the brand prestige.

Amica likes this.
  9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I got this one. I use it to cook rice and dal at one go. I also use a single pan to use for PIP cooking. Haven't used both for pip so far. One of the pans dented in the dishwasher. Still useable but a bit misshapen. That has happened to an Indian separator pan too. I would wash it only on the top rack.

Amica and Vedhavalli like this.