Instant Pot - Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kkrish, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There is absolutely no water to be added in the bhindi fry recipe. Even the lid should be opened right away after Quick Release, so steam can escape and does not condense too much into the bhindi.

How it cooks without water with just whatever is there in the bhindi, onions and tomato? I don't know. Magic. : ) A similar recipe for cauliflower/potato sabji. No water. For that I've tried 2 mins high pressure.. turns out quite mushy. Will try 0 mins low no pressure (close lid, knob in seal, but 0 mins).

The vegetables taste good due to being cooked from all sides, I think. Plus, maybe not having to babysit a fussy vegetable like bhindi might make me more forgiving. : )

GoneGirl likes this.
  2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I hope it is okay to post blog links here. I bought a large bag of peeled garlic cloves from Costco and was wondering what to do with them when I came across a delicious Instant pot recipe for garlic pickle, South Indian style. I made it exactly per recipe the first time, then the next time I added a bit of lemon juice after taking off the heat.
    Poondu Oorugai|Garlic Pickle

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Rihana
    I made this today.
    Was very delish
    20180717_192357 (800x554).jpg

justanothergirl and Rihana like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @MalStrom
    My next project. I bought a sleeve of garlic just for this.

MalStrom and Rihana like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Rihana

So glad you mentioned 'sleeve of garlic'. I was thinking to myself if only I had seen recipe few weeks ago when I had peeled garlic from Costco sitting in the fridge, and each day as the garlic whiff on opening fridge got stronger, better-half asking me what plans I had for the garlic. (yes conversations tend to get mundane as the years go on : ) ).

So, I was ruing the now-absent Costco garlic. 'Sleeve of garlic' mention reminded me that last week better-half bought two sleeves from Indian store though I needed one. : )

Saturday is the day. I will wake up earlier to peel the garlic and try the recipe. : )

MalStrom, thanks for the recipe. It is so simple.

kkrish, Viswamitra and MalStrom like this.
  7. Rihana

Didn't get the timing part. What does it mean to set the clock for 18 minutes? Set on kitchen timer or the cook time of IP's manual mode? And wait for 15 minutes, means, after the 18 minutes are up, give it 15 minutes for natural steam release? Thx.. I have all ingredients except mango, and going to get that and try it.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Few days ago DH spotted a ripe fragrant Jackfruit at a local farmers market and promptly brought it home. Whole 12 pounds of the giant fruit :). Took him about an hour or so to remove all the pods patiently. It was messy but so worth it. One of the best I have had in a long time. It was soft and really really sweet. A light bulb went off somewhere..hmm..the perfect candidate for chakka pradaman. I went in search of a recipe and tailored it to suit IP. So here we go.

Chakka Pradaman (jackfruit kheer)

------------------------

Ingredients
    1. 2 cups of chopped jackfruit pods
    2. 3/4 cup of jaggery
    3. 1/2 can of coconut milk
    4.cardamom powder
    5. couple of tablespoons of water
    6. Chopped coconut bits and cashews roasted in ghee.

Procedure
    -----------
    1.Use a stackable container set . Place the jackfruit with few table spoons of water in the bottom and a bowl of roughly powdered jaggery with about a cup of water on top.
    2.PIP(pot in pot)
    3. Pressure cook/manual (high) - 15-18 min.(I used 15 because the fruit I had was really soft)
    4.Let the pressure release naturally
    5. Mash the fruit (puree in a blender if needed)
    6. Remove the containers from the inner pot.
    7.Turn on the saute mode . Add the fruit ,jaggery and half a can of coconut milk diluted with 1/2 cup of water .
    8. Let it come to a boil. Add cardamom powder . Press cancel and garnish with the roasted coconut pieces and cashews .

Turned out really yummy . The jackfruit was really sweet and I could have cut back on the jaggery a bit.

Amica, sokanasanah, poovai and 3 others like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Picture please @justanothergirl

I have jackfruit that we got from Whole foods - very very sweet.
    So this and garlic pickle are next. The veg biriyani needs to wait till Saturday. :)

justanothergirl likes this.
  10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana I am sorry about not communicating it right. 18 minutes is IP's manual mode after stirring all the vegetables in the order I said above. 15 minutes wait is for steam release on its own.

Viswa

Rihana likes this.