1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Inputs needed for Career/Job Oppurtunities on EAD

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by JKS, Jan 2, 2012.

1. JKS

JKS New IL'ite

I was working in software as mainframe programmer for 5 yrs back in India. I did my MS (in india). Its been 3 yrs in USA and am on H4. Once DHs greencard is processed, planning to work on EAD.

I would like your opinions/inputs on what are some of the employment options on EAD. I am sort of sick of s/w career and contemplating idea of changing career path. and to do something else. More relaxed and fun to do and relatively stress-free sort of.. Also already its about 3 yrs break and it could be couple of more. I am not sure how much it will work against me once I start searching.
    I was thinking of a teaching profession (more of kinder garden to primary level), but not sure how it works here. And apart from that I am not sure what options we ladies might have here. I have 2-3 yrs of time minimum and I want to sort of decide what path I want to take up and start equipping myself.
    I am more interested in service oriented/creative/decoration-designing options though I dont have professional education in them.
    Or can stick with s/w and read something I relative like better, something like SQL / informatica (I dont know and sort of interested in learning it).
    I know am sort of vague here, but not sure how to explain my case more. Could you ladies pls throw ur suggestions on various options and oppurtunities and possible courses that I might need to complete for it?

Appreciate your help.

-Sarada.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

2. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

hi sarada,

your case is not different mine. I am also on H4 and was working as s/w professional in India.
    Came up of changing field b'cos of stress life and economy situation.
    As of now I am thinking of changing to either teacher, Librarian(assistants) not sure whether they ask specialization in these fields.
    Ladies please share some ideas on this;
    thanks sarada for opening this thread

3. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sarada and renutu,
    I am also in the same situation.Iam professionally qualified as a teacher,I was working in India nearly ten years.Got a break since I moved here with my husband.Now we got our Green card.So I can legally work in US. interested to start my carrier again. But what and where to choose.... as my carrier?If I plan to continue teaching, in public schools,I need to get the certification as per my state requirement ,which is a tough process.In private schools I heard they consider only christian candidates(is that true?).
    Is there any option like, working as substitute teacher?

4. 27csweetangel

27csweetangel Silver IL'ite

Hi, Sarada,hope you are doing good..did you get a job somewhere..i am trying for so many jobs since i got EAD in April..unable to get a stable job

5. janani9486

janani9486 Junior IL'ite

Hi,

I have been working in India in HR for 2 years...the opportunities that i normally hear about are IT jobs/ Business Analyst jobs...i am interested in HR and mgmt roles...pls do help if u happen to come across any HR jobs or hear about consultancies that help in seeking a HR job

6. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

Most of the states require a certification to become a teacher. It won't be that difficult to pass the exam, I think most of the states require Praxis exam. You can find more information here- Praxis

Keep in mind that teaching in India and teaching over here is completely different. I am not sure but to become a Librarian, you may need certification or something.

You can also do Realtor certification and become a Realtor or do a side business.