Information on Delhi Museums??

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by amritasharma, Dec 21, 2009.

1. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

We have moved to Delhi a couple of years back. Since then we have been very busy settling down and could find no time to explore much of the place. My niece needs to do a school project on museums of Delhi!! Can anyone help me with some information??

2. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

The National Museum is Delhi’s largest Museum. One can reach this massive archive in mere fifteen minutes, from the Rashtrapati Bhavan. But the experience that one gathers at this museum in infinitely rich and long-lasting.

I have lived in Delhi for years. But, somehow, I could never make it to the famous National Museum, until last week. The Museum is nestled at the corner of Maulana Azad Road and Janpath.

The National Museum houses more than 2,00,000 works of art, both of Indian and foreign origin, and encompasses more than 5,000 years of rich traditional heritage.

The circular building with its three floors is painted in red and yellow.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. amritasharma

Anandi,
    Thank you so much! Can you help me more?

4. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

This is a nice thread. Its true that <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> has many museums. During my last visit to <st1:City w:st="on">Delhi</st1:City>, I remember taking my kids to the Shankar’s <st1:placeName w:st="on">International</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Doll</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Museum</st1:placeType> at 4, Nehru House, Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:City></st1:place>.
    There are dolls from all over <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> and abroad. There were dolls from <st1:country-region w:st="on">Indonesia</st1:country-region>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">China</st1:country-region>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Italy</st1:country-region> and <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Japan</st1:place></st1:country-region>. The dolls I particularly liked were an entire set presented by the Japanese. It represented the full court hierarchy from the courtier and foot soldier to the Emperor. Then of course, there are the famous wooden dancing dolls from Andhra Pradesh. There was a small fan next to the display which made the dolls “dance”.
    I am sure many of you may have visited the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Dolls</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Museum</st1:placeType></st1:place>. Do write in about your visit.

5. anandisingh

Amrita,

Let me give you some more information on the National Museum. In 1946, interesting articles from all across India were brought and housed at Rashtrapati Bhavan as an exhibition. This display continued till the National Museum building was completed in 1960.

This museum has beautiful works of art and crafts and life-size sculptures. The contents are strewned all over the spaces and create an illusion in themselves.

The sculptural section has more than 9000 objects of archaelogical significance. The stretch has beautiful terracotta and stucco figures that date from 3 Century BC to the 19<SUP>th</SUP> Century. The ground floor covers the prehistoric age.

6. amritasharma

Thanks to both of you!!! Can you give me some information about Nehru Museum?

7. anandisingh

Dear Amrita,

The Nehru Museum and Planetorium is located at Teen Murti Bhavan, Teen Murti Marg, New Delhi. This was the residence of Late Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India. After his death, the place was turned into a museum.

This museum indeed is a fascinating place to learn about the history of the Independence Movement. The place has several photographs of the first Prime Minister and gives an account of his life. Other attractions are newspaper clippings and photographs from the era of the freedom struggle.

The colonial building is also equally interesting. It has teak-paneled rooms with high ceilings.

8. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

The National Gallery of Modern Art is located at Jaipur House, near India Gate in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. The NGMA is a treasure house of Indian art and culture starting from 1857 to the present times. The National Gallery of Modern Art has a branch in Mumbai and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Bangalore</st1:City></st1:place> as well.
    A few months back a new wing of NGMA was inaugurated. A very thought provoking exhibition entitled "In the seeds of time" was put together to coincide with the inauguration. The exhibition showcased Art in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> through the centuries and showcased Indian masters like Rabindra Nath Tagore, Raja Ravi Varma, Jehangir Sabvala, F N Souza, Amrita Shergill as well as early British painters like Daniell. There were sculptures as well.

At present, the NGMA is hosting an exhibition of photographs from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Bhutan</st1:country-region></st1:place>. I would like other ILites to write in with their experience of NGMA.

9. anandisingh

The National Rail Museum of Delhi is a train-lover’s delight. It is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri. It displays models of train engines, carriages and coaches. Its most esteemed display is a model of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>’s very first train. It was a steam engine that traveled from Mumbai to Thane in the year 1853.

The locomotives are all displayed in the open. The museum is a storehouse of information on the history of railways in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

The vintage exhibits of this museum include the oldest locomotive in the world which is still working. The exhibits include the Prince of Wales Salon (1875) and the Viceregal Dining Car (1889).

10. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

I remember the Rail Museum in Chanakya Puri in Delhi. When we were kids, my Dad took us along to the Rail Museum one day.
    The Rail Museum has a miniature steam engine along with a few bogies. I think it is called the toy train. The toy train is a huge favorite with the kids. The Rail Museum has a outdoor display yard in which vintage coaches or steam engines are on display. If my memory serves me right, there is even a coach used by the Nobel Laureate Kaviguru Rabindra Nath Tagore on his journeys. The toy train takes a circular path through this display section.
    Thanks for bringing the memories alive.