1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Info regarding using Diapers for new borns

Discussion in 'Infants' started by manasa_gs, Dec 28, 2010.

1. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

HI Ladies,
    Well, iam expecting my baby in the 2 nd week of Feb. As usual , i have load s of doubts of various things.

Can anyone let me know , if it is fine to use diapers here in chennai weather, as i heard some of them telling, that babies may end up getting rashes, as it is very hot here. And, can anyone let me know , if using diapers is cost effective, and which is the best brand.

2. girijasenthil

girijasenthil Senior IL'ite

Dear Manasa,

Congratulations! and All the best..

Diabers we could use for babies irrespective of the location and claimate.
    Just to share with you,

I have 1.3 month daughters , i used to use cloths only till her 7 months. after 7 month whenever we are going outstation/ shopping/ guests home i am using diapers. Diapers in the night helps baby to sleep long ..

While at home please use cloths. which are very soft (cotton cloths) wash it , dip in dettol for few minutes and dry it.

I heard that too much of usage of diapers would lead to alter babies walking style (Babies will walk with wide leg). So, I tring to avoid.

Please apply powder (or) Corn Flour to avoid rashes.. My daugher also got rahes after starting appliing corn flour she is fine.

Have Healthy food/sleep/walk ..

Happy Motherhood..

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  3. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

my DD is 5 1/2 months now ..when DD is born my mil said a big NO to diapers saying it causes rashes and its tight and bad and when i was in hospital for 1 week they never allowed diaper on baby..she was getting up every 30mins wetting the cloth and followed by feed session and trust me never had an oppurtunity to sleep for atleast 1 hr at a stretch..
    once we are home we tried diapers in the night ..baby was waking up only for feeds at 2 hrs gap...and as soon as we removed diaper in morn we used to put rash cream and leave her like that for 30mins or so.
    she is fine with it..i will defnitely recommend diapers even for a new born from my own exp

4. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

You can use diapers on new born babies. But make sure that you change it in frequent intervals to avoid rashes.
    I was using diapers for my baby from day 1 onwards and he was perfectly fine without any rashes.

All the best..

Ansu:)

5. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

I too was against the diapers. But they do help a lot in nights for the baby and you to get a good sleep. Just have to make sure to change them often and ensure you clean well before using the diaper. Morning times, you can use cloth nappies.

6. shebu

shebu New IL'ite

dear manasa,

i used cotton cloth upto 3 months when i were with my mom.she helped me in washing those clothes.those should b cleaned very hygeinically.use dettol and dry up in sunlight.
    when i came back to my flat felt it a real burden.then i started using diapers .pampers nd huggies r good .now my baby is 1 and a half now . now i switched to a new brand 'teddy' .its good and economical . costs only 6 rupees per diaper while others cost 10 or 11. it s avalable only in chennai.
    use diapers at night time only.wash with luke warm water every befor and after using diapers . change frequently .as per my experience diapers wont do any harm if we use it hygeinically.

7. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

Thanks so much everyone. My doctor said, it is perfectly fine using diapers from day 1, but as most of you suggested, iam planning to use diapers in the night, and cottn napkins in the morning, so that it is also economical...thanks once again...

8. abathy

abathy Bronze IL'ite

manasa, good to see you getting prepared for one of the toughest challenges in childrearing. my thoughts - like most other mother's who replied here, i too used cloth till my LO was 7-8 months. after that i diapered him on outings and nights. lately due to wet weather, i diapered him throughout and i found that using 'himalaya' wet wiped prevented rashes. now, i use himalaya baby lotion instead of wipes at every change. you can also try cloth diapers. there are local versions available here. the advantage is, you can save your bedding and other furnishings from getting wet/soiled. the disadvantage is that you might miss the wetness(this could also lead to rashes). so frequent checks are necessary.
    the cloth variety i am referring to has cotton on the outside with a plastic lining inside with holders for inserts. i cut my cotton saree into strips and use it as inserts. as for diapers, i initially used pampers and found that the plastic part near the fastening tape hurt my LO, so i switched to huggies and he is ok now.

hope this info helps.
    happy mothering. :)

9. Godschild

Godschild Silver IL'ite

Amba,
    Could you pls post pictures of the local cloth diaper your refering to. Pictures of both the inner and outer layer would be helpful.
    TIA.

10. manasa_gs

manasa_gs Senior IL'ite

thanks so much Amba...God s child, i bought the one Amba is referring to in Naidu Hall, they sell it there, u can probably visit Naidu Hall in pondybazaar, iam referring to Naidu Hall and not Naihaa...