1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

infant Eczema!!help needed

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vidhukumar, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Neetu_kumar

Neetu_kumar Senior IL'ite

Krithika, i'm not too sure but i think the active agent is Triamcinolone Acetonide. DH used kenalog in orabase for his mouth ulcers and it helped him. Sunitha, is it simlar one for skin?

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Yes,Kenalog is triamcinolone - a steroid.

Btw - for all those with eczema kids, a soap which might help - Dewmis; supposed to be detergent-free and only colloidal oatmeal. Its pricey (90 Rs) and I have no personal experience but wondered if it might help.

V.

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks Neetu and Vanathi. Yes, our problem has been finding a perfume free soap. Oilatum also cost as much, so I guess that is the standard. Anything to keep his skin free of itching. It so spoils the quality of his night sleep. I think I will ask our paed about this cream if the rashes persist.

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes,that's right.It is Triamcinolone Acetonide.It is a steroid cream as Vanathi said but I am amazed with the results.I can almost say now that his eczema is gone!!:thumbsup

The side effects are like Hydrocortizone only and all doctors here say that these are topical steroids and if used at a rate of maximum 7 days at a time sparingly,it will cause no harm.I have used hydrocortizone too ,but it did not help much.Touchwood,I have not used Kenalog since Sunday and his skin is now as soft and smooth as any baby skin and I am so happy to see it almost after 22 mnths of fighting with eczema.:banana

Another cream the ped prescribed is ELIDEL. This is a branded one and so costs $80 for a tube but the plus is it is non-steroidal.Kenalog is a generic one and costs $ 4 here .I bought both to see which one works for him but I did not have to use Elidel at all till now.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    anothermom likes this.
  5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Sunitha, YAY for you and the LO. I know what exactly you are talking about when you post the dancing banana there ;-). I have kept a dairy and tried to isolate his allergy (our paed is just now given the go ahead for allergy testing). We avoid allergens, I wash his sheets every 3rd day and yet!!!

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Kritika.Yeah,my son also ends up with hives whenever he has besan products and channa. Although the allergist said he has allergy to potatoes and peas,he does not seem to get affected with potatoes or peas as such(infact he loves potatoes:crazy).I think peas,channa,bengal gram all fall under same family,not sure though.So,these days no bajji or anything involving besan for anyone at home!!

Hope you are able to find the causes of his allergy too.Good luck!

7. AnithaSrinivas

AnithaSrinivas New IL'ite

Even my DD has allergic reactions to Channa, dried peas, bengal gram, besan...initially when we didnt know she had allergies twds these, we gave her bajji, she liked it so much, and ate few..and she herself become like a bajji...(full hives)..

8. AnithaSrinivas

AnithaSrinivas New IL'ite

Another thing is dont try to suppress eczema, with steroid creams.. Try to find a homeopath and get it treated..
    Suppressing eczema may lead to other problms..Some say asthma,wheezing and eczema in early childhood are inter related...

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Anitha for the info.
    I agree that homeo and Ayurveda may be better to treat the symptoms and I am already following Ayurveda treatment for my son since June and will continue for a year atleast although his eczema seems to have subsided for now.

I've spoken with peds here and also in India and most of them are of the opinion that these are only topical steroids and are not harmful if used sparingly.

10. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Dear All,
    Again I am back on eczema circle.
    My son recently had a bad viral fever and after that got cured after couple of hospitalizations, now its another issue.......bad eczema on his scalp which is making his skin worse.
    As I told, used almost all types of products but all of them are temporary.
    Vanathi, Dewmis is made of oatmeal...We are using OATKIN for him as Oilatum has stopped its production and in hyderabad we hardly find any soap or cream for the past 4 months. This Oatkin was effective but not now. I am suspecting it might not be eczema but a bacterial infection, need to take him to dermatologist tomorrow.
    I have really seen good difference when I used Oilatum for an year above.
    Any substitute for Oilatum is really appreciable.