1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

infant Eczema!!help needed

Discussion in 'Infants' started by vidhukumar, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

That's good to know. It's always a relief when the problem is diagnosed, and don't worry these things happen with babies no matter how careful you are. I am glad he's doing better now.

Raj

2. micky

micky New IL'ite

sunitha- what cream / ointment did you apply..?
    thanks

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

It is a prescription ointment-not OTC-called 'Mupirocin'.

4. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

hi Sunitha,
    Now I joined in your club!!
    I know its too late joining here. This thread was suggested by our Vanathi(Aadhusmom)

My Kid is 15 months old now....from his 4th month, he is suffereing from Eczema, rash all over the body....seemed like pricky heat. We tried out cetaphil lotion,cream,Calak and liquid paraffin suggested by our Paed.
    But no use....after trying out couple of months, we took him to dermatologist as the problem becoming worse, with wheat flakes on scalp aswell(Dandruff like). The dermatologist suggested SEBA MED Cream,shampoo and soap. TO some extent, the rash was decreased after couple of months. so, we were again on to DOVE soap along with jhonson shampoo and wipro babysoft oil.
    in the month of november,when winter was started, again it was like patchy skin....on his back and front....small small patches which were so rough...some of them were becoming red spots during day time.....After using Oilatum....the patches were becoming white spots....we took him to dermatologist, now she suggested Oilatum bar/dermadev,lycol and Atogla cream.
    Now the cycle has started for the couple of days, I m observing the pricky heat /eczema on his entire body.......dont know what to do now....
    again I need to start Sebamed products ? or I need to consult a dermatologist.........no clue.....his skin is becoming mysterious day by day!!!!!!Otherwise he is very very active makes me and my family very busy.

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Priya,mine is now 13 mnths old.He still has this eczema but very mild.The flakes on his scalp are gone:bowdown but hair and scalp as such look dry.Overall,his eczema is much better now.

One new thing I did was taking him to an allergist this week and after doing a small skin test,the allergist recommended that I try and remove peas and potatoes from his diet for two weeks to see if eczema improves and since peas fall under legumes ,I might have to watch out for dals and beans too.Fortunately,he has NO allergy to milk,egg,wheat and soy which is a great relief:thumbsup

Also,for almost two mnths now,I am using coconut oil(Parachute) on his scalp liberally before bath,leaving it for about 1/2 hr and then bathing him.That seems to be helping.I still apply Eucerin/Aquaphor on his body immediately after a bath/wash/wipe and I re-apply every 3- 4 hrs to retain the moisture and the allergist said that I was doing a good job of it.:hiya

I would suggest you take your child to an allergist to know what is causing the eczema.

6. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

I just applied Oilatum on his body ...as it was red patches.......
    Im really becoming tired of using various products on his sensitive skin.
    Dont know when he will get relieved for him.

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Priya, it is sad to hear your LO's problems persist. I will encourage you now to look at food as a source of his problem, maintain a food dairy to see if anything is causing the allergies. In my opinion, your child is too young to show a good result on skin tests/RAST.
    You may have to watch what he eats, cut out processed food, remove any food from his diet that could have food additives or food colouring. Look at environmental sources of allergies. Have you been using an air/conditioner recently. Just think back to what you did when your LO started getting his skin condition back (when there is no clear diagnosis).
    This is what worked for us: we give Kiran a bath with tepid water, sometimes without soap using just a soft washclothe, sometimes with oilatum. Pat him dry and moisturise him with mineral oil within three minutes - that was just to pace ourself - but we moisturised him before we took him out to dress him up in his room.
    What we also found is that an ingredient in an emollient also worsened his eczema, so we went completely fragrance free. We also put a bottle of Moyzen in other rooms to for a quick moisturising through the day, as many as hourly when we use the a/c. We have not had to use steroids/antibiotic creams like mupirocin after initial dosings to fight of an acute flare-up.
    K's flare ups are under control now, excpet when we give him some dairy accidentally AND when we let his skin get dry. But all we have had used is quite harmless. We now alternate between mineral oil and coconut oil to keep all the more natural. HTH

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Has anyone tried prescription cream-Kenalog?

My son's new ped prescribed this last week for him,we applied for 7 days and now all his dry skin and itching(eczema) is gone.Now we are back to normal moisturisers for the past 3 days,and he is doing fine.We were applying Ayurvedic oils for him since last June,and eventhough in the first few mnths there was a lot of improvement,this winter here,brought back his eczema in full force and now only this cream has helped.

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Sunitha, winter is also our culprit though winter here means a maximum of 29 deg celsius :). Could you tell me what the active ingredient in Kenalog is... we are in the middle of a flare up. Thanks in advance.

10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Tikka, Yess my DD had mild eczema in her baby stages. Now she gets the rough skin and itching in winter. In summer too, sand play makes her legs and hands worse. She gets red spots in her legs, below knees and hands - below elbow. Of a 25paise coin size. Whenever she is on sand play, we got to mosturise her often. But sand play has helped her sensory things. :)
    We do apply coconut oil soon after bath, when she is still wet. She is on Vaseline light moisturiser (aloevera one), Pears soap. Earlier we were using a homeopath soap - Soft and silky (beriberi based).
    From this Monday, her school re-opened and they are having almost 45mins outdoor. Sand play, running, hopping, etc... Since the weather in the mornings are good, not too sunny not too rainy. But her skin is worse these days. Does applying butter, washing with curds wud help?
    My homeo Dr suggested a powder (Green gram 500g+badam 100g+Cashew 100g) mixed with curd/milk for bath. But she flares up with that too!
    Paed suggested lacto calamine, we havent tried that yet.
    Any ideas? tips? on her skin care?