1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

indoor vegetebales

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Tulasi, Oct 31, 2006.

1. chatkara_tasty

chatkara_tasty Bronze IL'ite

dear latha,

i got all the points except two. for pudina as u say if i get the stalk i hv to remove leaves .can u explain it a bit more plss .

for methi u said i hv to sow the methi i hv at home . but i don't hv fresh methi leaves . as i told we don't get these veggies in china . dry methi seeds (methi dana) will work or not ?
    txs a lot .

2. chatkara_tasty

dear sihi,

this time when i will go to india i will search for mint seeds.curry leaves seedlings i don't think so i can bring . any how txs for ur tips .
    with love

3. geetha_muralidharan

geetha_muralidharan New IL'ite

Hi Heena

regarding pudina, u have to plant the stems of the pudina plant from which the big leaves have been removed for use. the stems with small roots will grow successfully. curry leaf plants can be grown only from their small plants which either grow from the roots of the mother plant or from the germinated seedlings. if u pour the water with which rice has been washed as also sour buttermilk the plant will flourish.

4. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

pudina plant

Dear Heena,

when you buy a bunch of pudhina for use in the cooking, take the leaves and plant the thicker stems in the pot. That's what I said. Whenever i feel like putting them in , I have done so and got lots of pudhina in my pot.
    It is easy to grow pudhina.
    Latha :wave

5. chatkara_tasty

dear latha and geetha,
    txs a lot for your tips .
    with love

6. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Spinach also

Dear Heena,

Try out with palak (spinach) also. Just plant the thicker stems when you buy them fresh. Remove the leaves with a scissors carefully and then plant them. I have seen palak grow nivcely from the cuttings.
    Latha :wave

7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Heena...

Hello to you. I am a bit late in attending to your post. But friends here seem to have given many useful tips.
    It is sad that you don't get these herbs in China because they do make our Indian food really enjoyable. I am glad that you are able to atleast get the coriander leaves. I too have gone throught this phase when in Germany. At one time, none of this was available there.
    Like Latha says, you can grow coriander and methi from their seeds. I was told to soak them first and then plant them in good soil, just scantily covering the seeds and keep them in a dark place for some time for the seeds to germinate. Then gradually bring them into light as you see small saplings growing. The bigger they grow, the more light you can expose them to. But like Latha says, coriander can be a problem if the seeds are really of old stock.
    I am very doubtful about Tulsi,curry leaves and mint leaves unless you have the small plants or good seeds. Mustard cress too can also be grown from mustard seeds, just a thought!
    Just remember that our food can be pepped up by spring onions too which must be availabel in China. Best of Luck:)

L, Kamla

8. prasannak2

prasannak2 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am also interested in gardening. I tired planting Pudina directly in the soil and it didn't work. Take littlebit tender pudina stalk and place in a cup of water. You can remove the leaves and place the stalk or u can just pluck the bottom laves and leave the remaining on. Change the water every day or two and keep it in a window where it gets littlebit sunlight. You see the roots in a week or so. Then you can transfer it into a pot. I tried it this way and it worked out for me.

Methi:
    Soak the methi in water for 6 hours and drain the water. Place the seeds in a cotton cloth and tie it. Make sure the colth is damp always. They start sprouting in a day or two. Then open the cloth and transfer them in to the pots topping with little soil. enjoy the fresh methi :)

I have the curry leaves plant which i bought from the store. If you use rice in your cooking don't through away the water after washing the rice. give this water to the curry leaves plant. It grows nicely.

I hope it helps. All the best.

9. chatkara_tasty

dear kamala and prasannak2,
    guys thank u so much for ur wonderful tips . the tips r realy useful . very soon i am going to do experiment with methi plant and let u now the result . if its work u guys will get milions of blessings frm my family .
    with tons of txs

10. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Use the thicker stems

Dear Heena and Prasanna,

I have planted the pudhina stalks. But you have to take the thicker ones, stalks I mean, just pinch out the leaves for your use. Then plant it in a pot, just like that. It comes for me.
    If you only get tendrils there, then I think Prasannas plan will work out.
    If it is the tender stalk you get there you do as Prasanna says.
    Latha