1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indoor Activities

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by catherine26, Jul 6, 2017.

1. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    My son is 2.8 yr old ..not yet join in preschool..what are the indoor activities are there to entertain..he watching cartoon,playing in tab and himself sometimes he getting bored..please suggest..

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

So, to entertain my 2 year old, I reduce tv and cartoons. They aren't evil or anything, but I can tell that my son gets more moody or hyper when we switch it off. Instead, I give him projects.

1. Play-doh (or homemade dough with food coloring) - This is a fun way to let kids get messy in a manageable way. There are safe recipes online (pinterest) to create dough for children to shape and play with. I got some plastic cutters and baby scissors to help develop motor skills.
    2. Stickers - kids love stickers. So I buy a ton of packs to take out a couple at a time. I recently bought reusuable stickers that my son can stick on mirrors and windows and play.
    3. Animal figures or dinosaur figures - try finding a set of animal figurines (the small finger sized stuff). This is a nice teaching tool, like matching the figures to the pictures in a book of animals. Same with the dinosaurs. My son also plays with the figures as if they are fighting with each other (or headbutting each other).
    4. Books - baby books are a good way to let kids absorb information at their pace. I found books like Wheels on the Tuk Tuk (takes place in India) or the mainstream American books (Where the wild things are, Pout pout fish, Rainbow fish), has lots of details in each picture. While my kid doesn't sit through the whole story, he still enjoys his favorite pages.
    5. Coloring - Coloring doesn't have to be with crayons or pencils. I have also given my son toddler-safe paint to play with (my son doesn't like paint though). In my house, my son colors using colored sticky notes...whatever works to keep him entertained for 20 minutes.
    6. Housework - this might sound strange, but involve your son with your housework. Like cleaning/sweeping the house space, or wiping the windows or mirrors, putting the groceries in the pantry. They might not always do it or even do it well (adds work to you), but it lets them learn how to be independent and take pride in their work.
    7. Puzzles - some kids love wooden block puzzles, my son doesn't care for them, except in our case, they are dinosaur shaped, so they have suddenly transformed into dinosaur toys to beat up.

These are things I'm currently working on with my son, so I may find out more soon.

3. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

I appreciate point no.6. I strongly felt about it when my nephew visited us. He wasnt a tiny tot though(around 7yrs) We didnt have tv or internet at home and he became restless. I involved him in household work(small small things under my supervision) and he was so excited and took pride in doing the work.

I wish to suggest reading out stories from books or narrating stories. It is very helpful to nurture imagination of young children. It is also a good way to train children in values/good habits through story telling.

catherine26 and BhumiBabe like this.
  4. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your reply..it's safe to play with play-doh ,if he swallows?

5. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Depends on the play-doh. If you are making it at home and using natural food ingredients, it should be safe, in case he swallows. The brand name play-doh, my son has had in his mouth and he's alright. It's non-toxic. Not good for you, but won't kill you. --> check it out if you don't believe me What Happens If You Eat a Tub of Play-Doh?

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Some more things -
    ~Water paints, finger paints
    ~blocks or lego
    ~ trampoline
    ~ Bubbles
    everything had disadvantage thought like trampoline could be risky. Lego is risky for parents, blocks are lying everywhere and hurt me so many times stepping on it. Paints are everywhere on walls. Bubbles on food and bubbles everywhere. playdoh can been seen everywhere in my home in form of tiny dried up balls :-(

Kids have such a short span. My kid plays with a toy just a day. After that, she is done. Only thing forever is Tv/Tab/Cartoons. Then she likes playing with water taps. If you could afford, send them outside to some activities like dance or kids yoga or gymanstics. I assume its warmer at your place this time of year, so take them to park/slides often.

7. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Excellent responses above . I am into gardening so naturally got my kids involved in it . Toddlers love watering plants and they are quite curious to know how to plant seeds and the whole germination process. That's a good project for my kids and everyday they will keep tab on the seeds , water them if needed and see how they growing up. If you are into any hobby, you can involve your kid in that . It's a great learning activity.

Hansa78 likes this.
  8. Hansa78

Hansa78 Bronze IL'ite

I think Bhumibabe covered most of the things.
    I would like to just add on saying that you can plan certain activities inviting few friends over of his age or slightly older than him. It is very tiring, to keep toddlers busy.So u also get a break and he will also like the peer group company. Initially they might not get along, not wiling to share their toys....but this is the age where they will learn and even he'll get prepared to go to preschool in this context. You can sit with them and play some games. I have an excellent game which improves their memory, vocabulary and thinking skills. You can try this and add on variations to it so that they dont get bored. You can simplify the game according to their age.This is suitable for 2.5 yrs to 5 year old.

This really works good for a group. What you want to do is set out 20 items on a table. Each person in the group is to tell part of a story about 3 items successively. For example an apple, key and cell phone.
    # In the orchard, ripe apples were falling from the tree
    # But the gate to the orchard was locked and John brought the wrong key
    # So he call Sue from his mobile home to see if she could help

Once all of the items have been used in a story, take them out of the room. See who can remember the most items. Tell the story again and probably the group will be able to tell the whole story and thus remembering all the items

AKRITII

9. vedhikasankar

vedhikasankar Senior IL'ite

I am personally not entertained for watching cartoon for small babies.Instead of watching cartoons please spent time with your baby.Allow them to play with soft play toys .

10. toddler20177

toddler20177 New IL'ite

Hello,

Something like a big draw erase board will be helpful too
    Fisher-Price Doodle Pro Slim, Blue