Indonesia trip

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific - Other Areas' started by PreethiArun66, Aug 26, 2009.

1. PreethiArun66

PreethiArun66 Senior IL'ite

Hi all Jakarta ladies,
    Myself n Dh r comin on some 4days trip to jakarta. I jus want to know the must-see places. Since V hav less time, Dh ll have meetings every now n then, let me know the best things which i shd nt miss there.
    Thanks in Advance! :)

2. PreethiArun66

Since V r startin tomo, I ll appreciate quick replies!!

Thanks once again!!

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Preethi,

Indonesia is a beautiful place, where you will see Hindu culture being practised with Islamic religion. I am sure the Jakarta ILites will have better info for you. Still, here goes from what I remember of Jakarta where I lived for five years. Around Jakarta city, you can finish sight seeing in one day. Watch out for the beautiful, big statue of Geethopadesham and the flying Hanumar right in the city. A day tour will take care of all other points like Poncok. There is a lovely botanical graden just outside Jakarta where the Rafflesia blooms. If the season is on, you can see this giant flower. Taman Mini which is a kind of ethno museum and a Safari park with an orchid garden are also attractions just outside Jakarta. Half a day should be enough. The Minaas Tower just cant be missed.

If possible, do not miss, Bandung crater and the site where the Nehru-Sukarno Bandung meet took place. In Bandung, you can buy pretty jewellery made of volcanic stone, corn cobs cooked in volcanic steam etc. This can be a day visit from Jakarta.

A bit farther, but again must see in Jogjakarta and Prambanan. If you can see only one place, please prefer this. In Jogjakarta, try to watch the Indonesian Ramayan staged under moonlight, it is a unique experience to see Hanumar leaping from the tree near you!! Prambanan is an awesome, solemn Buddhist temple. If I am not too mistaken, it was once one of the old seven wonders. But this trip will take atleast a day and half or two days.

Bali- a beautiful fully Hindu island full of temples is worth a visit, but difficult to fit in four days.

In Jakarta, try to buy atleast one Indonesian batik painting of some Hindu epic or theme like Seeta-Rama wedding, Geethopadesham etc. Batik bags, table covers, bedsheets , shirts, ladies dresses etc are very cheap and nice. Try Blok M, Mata Hari etc.

Gold is really good and cheap, as is sterling silver.

If the Jogja, Prambanan, Bandung trips are difficult and you have to be only in and around Jakarta- dont feel bad. The city though crowded is beautiful. There are a few temples. My personal favourite was the Kali temple in Tangeerang. Kali seated on a Lion, very powerful, get strong benign vibrations. You will need a local Tamil friend to take you there.

Enjoy Jakarta, wish I could go there----

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  4. PreethiArun66

Hi vidhya,
    Thanks for so much info!!
    That ll b really useful.. sight seeing can b tomo n day after tomo only.. lets c wat all v can cover..
    Thanks once again!!

5. PreethiArun66

Hi vidhya few more queries..
    For local sight seeing how much days does it take ? Is a day enough?
    Geethopadesam n flyin hanumar u had mentioned gets covered in local sight seeing or rather wat all places are covered in local sight seeing?(Thanks if u can list for me)..

Will post more doubts soon :)

6. PreethiArun66

In Jakarta, try to buy atleast one Indonesian batik painting of some Hindu epic or theme like Seeta-Rama wedding, Geethopadesham etc. Batik bags, table covers, bedsheets , shirts, ladies dresses etc are very cheap and nice. Try Blok M, Mata Hari etc.

Vidhya,

Where do I get these paintings n other stuff? Is it cheap?

Also heard many wood items r popular.. Wher can i get?

Wats this Blok M and Mata Hari??

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Preethi,

Trying to answer both your posts in one go. If my memory is right, one full day of sightseeing should be far more than enough for Jakarta. I assume that you start early in the day by 8am and get back by 8pm. I am factoring in the 'lalu- lintas' (horrendous traffic jams) in the city, and also the Friday prayer crowd and traffic regulations. I guess you will do the sight seeing tomorrow.

The Geethopadesham is a beautiful, big statue in the middle of the road. You can just see it from the car. If traffic is less, get down and take a picture. Same with Flying Hanumar. The essence of these two Hindu statues is that they are placed respectfully right in the heart of the capital of the country with the largest population of Muslims in the world. You will need just five minutes in each site.

I think other local sight seeing places wil be Poncok (read Ponchok), Taman Mini etc. I would need just an hour in these places, but a tour bus may give you more time.

My suggestion is this. If you are sight seeing with husband, it will be safe to hire a taxi and do these places at your pace. Then, in one full day, you can also finish the safari park outside Jakarta. I wish I could give you some local contact who will guide you better with info and taxi.

If you start early tomorrow, or even if you take a night train, you will be in Bandung in four hours. There, sight seeing will be done in another three four hours and you can get back. Try to see the volcano, I had not seen a volcnic crater before Bandung, in India.

Batik items are generally cheap and pretty. A small, catchy piece of any Hindu motif should not be expensive. Blok M and Mata Hari are good department stores. A bit pricey, but quality will be good. Also, batik bags, tops for girls etc are all reasonable.

Be very careful when buying wood and wooden show pieces. We have some carved pieces (like Geethopadesham) that still look new. But some masks etc, also crumbled off. If you cannot recognise the wood quality, better be careful. Jeparo art work is generally reliable, but I am not sure if Jakarta will have that. Again, better buy the wooden artifacts in bigger shops. Prices may be a bit higher, but you could get better value for money.

Reg silver- you will get dainty, filigree work silver jewellery. The ornament silver is also upto 60 to 70% silver there(atleast what I have was so). Just one souvenor piece will do---

Indonesia has a special cook and serve enamel ware. I would advise you not to buy that. They spoil easily, food also spoils easily. If you heat it and use tongs, the enamel corrodes off. I am mentioning this because many South Indian visitors buy this by tons and are disappointed later (mom and I are first examples--)!!!

Regarding general price levels- Jakarta is not cheap, it is an expensive country. But handicrafts especially unique ones are reasonable. So, maybe one can buy one or two pieces, but not more.

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Preethi,

Try contacting the JNICC( JAwaharlal Nehru Indian Cultural Centre) in the Indian Embassy. Ask for any Indian there, the Director, or any of the teachers (from india). Ask them for all the local info you need. They will help you better. It is part of the task definition of the embassy and cultural center.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  9. PreethiArun66

Hey that was sumptuous info..

Thanks for breaking the forum rules... Now that I hav read u can edit ur post..

10. PreethiArun66

Hi Vidhya,
    Have finished some sight seeing and today am startin back to sharjah. Have decided to write about my trip as a blog. Will try to do it asap once I reach home. Leave ur comments then.