1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Indians in Scottsdale

Discussion in 'Indians in Phoenix' started by aksravs, Jan 17, 2015.

1. aksravs

aksravs New IL'ite

Hey priya,
    Regarding your concern for the weather I wouldn't say it's unbearable, it lasts for 3-4 months and the rest of the year you are blessed with grt weather.

Do let know if you have any other questone :)

2. PriyaSathish

PriyaSathish New IL'ite

Hi Aksravs,

Thank you very much. Now that you have started responding , I am going to bug you with lots of other questions :). Trust you would not mind.

We have not exactly decided on the location and getting confused with the mixed messages from different sources. My husbands work location could be closer to Desert Ridge, but at the same time, want to choose a location with good schools and neighbourhood, access to stores etc. Torn between Chandler/Gilbert/South Tempe ( which would be significantly far for him) and North Scottsdale. Heard about the posh neighbourhoods of Scottsdale and we are looking for something simpler and hence not sure.

Have 2 kids ( 5 & 10 yrs). Prefer a condo type setting.

1. Can you recommend any options?

2. What would be the typical monthly utility charges?

3. How difficult is to get admission in the schools.

Thanks for all the help.

3. aksravs

aksravs New IL'ite

I will try my best to answer your questions priya.

1. If you're looking for a location close to your husband's office, scottsdale would be the best option. There are posh neighborhoods here but it is also possible to find houses with reasonable rents and good location.

2. Utility charges varies depending upon the usage

Electricity can be anywhere between $50- 120
    Water - $50- 60
    In some apartments they charge for garbage collection as well.

3. Regarding your last question I'm a little unsure as I'm yet to have kids :) bit I can surely find out from my friends and get back to you about good neighbourhoods for schools.

I'm travelling back to usa tonight and will try and get back to you asap.

Hope I was of some help to you.

4. Letmehavefun

Letmehavefun New IL'ite

Hi Priya,

I feel Phoenix is a place closer to South Indian climates... spring and fall are wonderful... winters (Nov-Feb) are not very harsh and do not require thermal wear or put on layers of clothes even if you go out during midnights... summers (Jun-Jul) are usually very hot with daily temperatures of 40-41 on avg, it can go as high as 45-46 for at least 30-40 days and does not cool down at nights..

Phoenix is an ideal place for me and husband since it gives us chance for an outdoor anytime of the year.

If you stay indoors, summers should not be problem too. You will definitely enjoy Phoenix :)

5. Letmehavefun

Letmehavefun New IL'ite

We live in Central Phoenix, downtown is 3-4 miles away. But yes, Scottsdale is a cool place, I must say posh. If it is Amex @ Desert Ridge, it is in North Phoenix and unfortunately Chandler/Gilbert/South Tempe would be at least 30 miles away.

There are some good apartments near by Amex says my husband... a couple of his friends work @ Amex and live nearby.

And you know what, rent is taxed @ 2% in Phoenix :(

Some apartments include water+trash+sewage+tax in the rent and give you a figure; some others give rent+tax+utilities both of which are constant every month of the lease term.

Some others come up with a complex algorithm of water usage and charge you based on monthly water consumption, what you pay the leasing office can go up and down by $10-20 each month.

Some include heat/hot water/partial electric/full electric which is always there across the US. We are paying $40 for water/sewage/trash currently. Typically it should be around $30-60 depending on the area and residential set up.

I don't have an idea either regarding schools too. A lookup of the address of the apartment/home over Zillow/Trulia/Walkscore will give the ratings of nearby schools.

6. PriyaSathish

PriyaSathish New IL'ite

Thanks a lot letmehavefun and aksravs!!

being a Chennaite, from what u said i think weather should be manageable :)

We are looking for apartments/condos in North Scottsdale. Chandler/tempe is, as you said, a 40 mins drive. So confused on the area to settle.

if you have any friends with kids going to school, could you pls get me the details abt the school and the area they live in?

thanks once again !!

7. PriyaSathish

PriyaSathish New IL'ite

Still torn between the areas. Based on the reviews of the schools ( elementary) / neighbourhood, very much like the Kyrene school district and the area surrounding W.Ray road ( west of 101). But husband would have to travel 30-40 mins . He says it is fine. How bad would the traffic be?
    North Scottsdale still seems to be a good place for a couple, but would it suit a family with kids?