Indians in Egypt

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by Arunarc, Sep 30, 2007.

1. sudharsiniram

sudharsiniram Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

can you telme what is the average salary in Cairo? will 1500 USD per month be Enough??

what is the best way to call India ?

Climate in Cairo ? what i needs to carry from India for long term ?

please help me out .....

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Sudha
    Give me some more details as I have seen your profile I can see that you are single and committed.
    Is company providing you transport, medical and accomodation????

There are quite a few calling cards which can be used to call India.
    At present it is winter. And you need to bring some warm clothes along with you. And what you get here or don't get it please go through this thread for more information.

3. sudharsiniram

Hi Aruna,

company will provide me the transport, medical and accomodation.

i only have to spend for food and other basic needs for me..

since its for a long term can you guide me what things i need mandatory .

is the place safte for Gals ?

4. Arunarc

Hello Sudha
    If the company is providing you all those things then with that salary you can stay here comfortablely. Yes it is safe for the girls to stay alone not a problem but do stay in where expats stays a well known area.
    See I don't know what you wear, if you wear only indian clothes then you please get them sufficient clothes. Here you have 6 months summer and 6 months winter. But compared to last few years this year it is not so cold but you will need warm clothes in the evenings.
    You don't get any indian stuff. You will get it until stock lasts so you will have to keep an eye when the stock comes. So best is to get them from India.
    Read this post #44

5. sudharsiniram

Thanks a lot fro ur Guidence.

i have not started my shopping yet ,will keep all things in mind.
    may be around Jan end i will be there ...

6. Arunarc

Welcome to Egypt....Sudha
    Do let me know which area you will be staying when you come here.

7. shijisujith1703

shijisujith1703 New IL'ite

Hello Aruna,

I have been recently offered a job in Cairo and was planning on taking it. However, the one thing that was making me hate my decision was the fact that my wife would feel totally alienated if I ask her to make the move. We are currently settled in Jeddah and will be moving out to Cairo pretty soon. (Me probably by next month, she hopefully in three months time... or am I being over optimistic?)

I do not even know where to start with the questions. If your husband would be kind enough to give me 10 mins of his time or yours for that matter we could give you guys a call.

Now let me run and look at some classifieds on expatriates.

Regards,

Sujith

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  8. Arunarc

Hello Sujith
    Whatever you wish to ask you can ask in this thread. As I am on leave in India for sometime it might be possible by me to response you a bit late.
    Please do not provide email ID's or any personal information in the post as it is not allowed in this site.
    You can go through this thread and also this one http://www.indusladies.com/forums/a...3-newcomer-egypt-information-about-egypt.html to get the information about Cairo. You have something else do feel free to put it up here and you will be given a reply.

9. shijisujith1703

shijisujith1703 New IL'ite

Aruna,

Thanks for the reply. Some of the questions that I have are as follows :

1. My office is situated at Industrial Zone, Nasr City and I was planning on finding a house in Maadi(Based on the fact that I will be able to be in touch with a lot of expats there). Do you think that this will be far? I have googled the place and looks like its 14 kms apart, which does not sound like much however, I have also read about the traffic snars in Egypt. Hence worried.

2. I have a car here(Prado GX3 2009). How easy is it for me to bring it into Egypt? Will I have to pay exorbant amount of tax? What about personal Income tax? I believe i will fall under the 20% bracket which seems ridiculous. Does this apply to expats as well?

3. How safe is staying in Cairo? Its only me and my wife at this moment, and I was looking for something with security cover for our accomodation and the prices that are coming back from the agents are around 1,500 to 2,000 USD/ month. Is this number ok?

4. How easy is getting Indian Groceries going to be?(the only question that my wife wants answered)? As Shiji is currently in Mumbai, would you recommend us to pick something up from there? (We have already listed the items that you have mentioned in the other link)

5. I have read that expats can pick up duty free cars from dealers? Is that true? If not, how easy is it to get financing for the car? Can expats avail financing?

6. Banks? Safe or should I continue with my KSA Accounts?

As of now, it would be mighty kind of you to help me with these queries.

Thanks in advance,

Sujith

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  10. Arunarc

Hello Sujith

1.Yes from Nasr city Maadi is very far it is good for your wife as her social life will be active. If she is a social person but for you it will be very tiring becoz week days it will take around 1 1/2 hour to travel the distance. and if there is traffic then it will be take more time. I will suggest you to stay in Helipolis or nasr city itself in helopolis too you will find some indians.

2. Here taxes on cars are very high but still i cannot answer you this question as i already told you I am in India and my hubby is in cairo if you want it i can ask him and let u know later.

3. Cairo is safe place not a problem even if you go late in the night out. For a villa this is price is ok but if you are going for a flat it will be about 1000USD.

4. If you will go through this thread I have mentioned in one of the post about the grocery. You will not get indian gorcery here so easily. It is better she get all that she wants from India that you usually use in your daily cooking.
    5. No idea if the expats can get finance from here but as far as I know it is difficult. Company is not providing you with the car?? usually for expats company provides them. And in case you want finance it is possible that you can get it from the company that you are working. Becoz no outside units will give you finance, including banks. This is what I know becoz Cairo is unreliable with rules and regulations.

6. Banks are safe havn't heard any problems with the banks, only problem is they don't provide checks here in case you want to keep a check book.

I have answered you as much as I know. and about the 2nd point i will answer you later.