Indians in Egypt

Discussion in 'Africa & Middle East - Other Areas' started by Arunarc, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Divya1986

Divya1986 New IL'ite

hi aruna,

my husband has been there for the past 8 months. now i will be joining him on may.
    i hav heard that indians are very few in egypt. this very thought alwayz upsets me.i will feel very lonely without any friends.
    i saw this thread when i searched on the internet...
    i wish to join in this community
    plz help

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Divya
    Welcome to Egypt.
    It depends on the area that you stay. There are many Indian's here but you will mostly find them in Maadi or Zamalek and mohandisen area. Here in 6th october there are a few of them, but they don't come out much so a bit difficult to keep in contact with them, they like to be for themself.
    By the way where does your husband stay at present..and where does he work...
    There is an Indian ladies club where once in a month ladies come together and have fun you can join that. It is called annapoorna club.
    Yes in the beginning you will feel lonely but you will get use to it soon you need to try and keep yourself busy here.
    Becoz I have gone through this loneliness in this country, but during that time I found this site and kept myself busy in here. With the help of all the friends here in IL I came out of my depression.
    Then slowly made a few friends but unforuntately during jan they left this country and went to another country. So again I am alone at present:) I have a few friends from the place that I mentioned above, but difficult to visit them everytime so just keep in contact on the phone.

3. Divya1986

Divya1986 New IL'ite

Hi Aruna,

Hopefully, I will get sum friends there...
    Nice 2 hear that there is an indian club...Thank god...atleast sum sort of entertainment

My husband is staying in heliopolis...
    He is the country manager of ashok leyland...
    Due to my delivery i was not able to join him that time and now this may i am going 2 cum there...
    By the way, what r u doing and where are u staying?

In egypt, do we get indian groceries?
    My husband don't know much abt this.Juz want 2 know what all 2 bring there, thats y i am asking...
    Anyways keep in touch...

4. Arunarc

Hi Divya
    Heliopolis is too far from the places that I have mentioned.
    I am a housewife enjoy life at home:) I am staying in 6th october city.

No you will not get all the groceries here you will have to carry somestuffs, especially we southindians need curry leaves, mustard which is important in our day to day cooking.
    things that you get, mung dal, green mung, besan flour(but this is made of split peas not channa dal), wheat flour(you shouldn't compare it with India) it is ok, channa dal(but this is again split peas where these people sell it as channa dal), red lentil, black eye beans, that's all.
    mung dal and green mung you will get only when there is stock with these guys not through out the year.
    so by this you might have got the idea what all you will have to carry with you.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. priyaajit

priyaajit New IL'ite

helo divya,
    hope you may reached here, i am also from thrissur, kerala .
    here in cairo last six years with family staying in heliopolis.
    if yoy need any help , pls contact me

6. Curryqueen

Curryqueen New IL'ite

Hello, I am originally from Scotland, a working mum with four children, I live in Egypt where we moved with hubby's job about ten years ago. Hubby is Egyptian, and he'd been out of Egypt for most of his life. When we came here there were quite a few things to get used to.
    A Scottish Member at Indusladies.com? Why am I a member? Well simply that I am interested in all things Indian, Culture, travel, music, food and life. I find it fascinating reading about them. Perhaps I was Indian in a previous life?:)
    I love traditional Indian cooking, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. I have quite a few nice cookbooks ranging from the celebrated Yamuna Devi to the amazing Anjum Anand.
    Living here in Cairo, we have spice markets, however it's sometimes difficult for me to know the Arabic or Latin names for some lesser-known Indian spices, like Kari leaves, screwpine essence, dried pomegranate, sambar powder and pau bhadj masala.. Possibly these flavourings are all available here but I don't know what to ask for and my husband isn't that familiar with Indian spices.

I was really amazed to discover this thread and I look forward to being a regular visitor here.

7. Arunarc

Hello Curryqueen
    Nice to know that you are in Egypt from last 10 years wow that is a long time. I am here from last 3 years.
    Where do you stay in proper Cairo or in Maadi??
    Nice to know about you. I am a full time homemaker.

8. vaski

vaski New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am in 6th october, RAMW building for last 3 months, can you please help me to know more about this city to buy foods, fruits, vegetables... and more..

9. Arunarc

Hello Vaski
    6th october city is an industrial area which is just comming up. there are many small shops fruits and vegetables. There are very few supermarkets in this area one is Metro which is in the city itself. Another one is Hyper and Carefour both these are very famous if you ask anyone they will show you. Even your driver will know these places and in case you wish to go by taxi they will take you to this place.

Can you give me the long form of RAMW....becoz I am not able to recollect the name as I stay in Dreamland.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  10. Curryqueen

Curryqueen New IL'ite

Hi Aruna and Vaski
    I live in Heliopolis which is a quiet area of Cairo. We are moving in a year to Katameya, as we miss having a garden. I've got used to Cairo, and can find most things I need, but I am trying to find all the Arabic names for all the lesser-known spices and herbs used in Indian cuisine.
    I hope you enjoy Egypt!:)