Indians in Denmark?

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by nirmala1709, Jan 6, 2008.

1. shaileshholani

shaileshholani New IL'ite

Hi Nirmala,

Are you still in Aalborg. I am coming to aalborg in next month, Can you please tell me if there are any indian restaurants in Aalborg.

Thanks in advance...

Shailesh

2. nirmala1709

nirmala1709 New IL'ite

Hi Shailesh

There is one Indian restaurant and one small cafe in Aalbort city. You may google and check it out. Welcome to Denmark. Enjoy your stay.

Nirmala

3. komila

komila New IL'ite

Hi, This is Komi from Mumbai, India.

We are planning to move to Copenhagen in next 2 months. We have 6 years old daughter and we are worried about her education there.

I need following details about public/international english schools in Denmark:
    1. I read public schooling is free, do they teach in english in public schools OR just in danish?

2. International schools are costly ~ 4K+ monthly fees + registration + other fees: Are they worth in terms of standard to spend this much money? Please share your experience in terms of study, sporting and other extra activities.

3. I can not get details about private schools those are partially aided by government. How are they curriculum wise and fees wise?

4. nirmala1709

nirmala1709 New IL'ite

Hi Komi

Pl. Go the website "Newtodenmark.dk" - Here you find the answers for all your questions.

I do not live in Copenhagen. Education systems all over Denmark is very good whether it is private or public schools educational system are the same. The only difference is there are less children in a private school than in the public school. All the best.

Nirmala

5. komila

komila New IL'ite

Hi Nirmala

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to know 1 more thing, whether the education in public school is in english or danish. so do I need to enroll my kid in international or private school if the public school education is in danish.and once again thanks.

Komi

6. nirmala1709

nirmala1709 New IL'ite

Hi Komi

How old are your children? In public schools English teaching starts from 3rd class. A child starts to go to pre school at 6 years and 1st class at 7 years. In private schools the medium of education in English but Danish language and culture will be taught to students from other country. Whether it is public or private individual attention is given to the students. Public schools are as good as private schools.

Summer holidays in school starts from end of June to middle of August. New school year starts from August.

You are welcome to write to me if you need more information.

Nirmala

7. komila

komila New IL'ite

Hi again,
    My only daughter will complete her 6th year in next week.

That means we can not put her in school for one more year... and she will be preschooler OR homeschooling till then...
    Will this be applicable to all schools, I mean public/private/international?

I understand, you do not live in Copenhagen, do you know anybody from Copenhagen who can guide us on Indian community living apartment complexes etc. I do not see much info on indianindenmark.com OR other expat blogs. We will be coming there for long duration minimum 1 year and I read that finding apartment/rental house is difficult there.

Take Care,
    Komi

8. komila

komila New IL'ite

Hi Nirmala

My daughter is 6 yrs old. she will be in 1st grade this yr.
    Is 1st grade starts at 7 yr only in public schools or same is applicable to private/international schools.

In public schools, if english starts in 3rd grade, we can not really consider it for schooling. May I know how indians there normally manage this for kids? Is the homeschooling the only option?

9. nirmala1709

nirmala1709 New IL'ite

Hi Komi

The same rule is applicable for all types of schools in Denmark. I think it is better for your daughter to get admission in an international school where the medium of education will be in English and danish language will be taught as a subject. As you are planning to stay in Denmark only for a shor time there is no need of getting admission in public or private school. But if you are planning to stay for more than two years it is better that you daughter joins a public or private school and it is good for her in the long run.

There is no such Indian community living apartments here. Once you are here you have the same rights as Danes. You have to register your name for an apartment and wherever you get one you have to live there. When you come here you must consult the local county office (Kommune) to get your health card etc. Many social workers are appointed in the county and they will help and guide in all way possible. They will help you with all the formalities. People are friendly and kind here. You will not be left alone. Do not worry.

I do not know anyone in Copenhagen. I live in Aalborg 400 kms away from Copenhagen.

I hope the above information is useful for you. Once again all the best.

Nirmala

10. thathai78

thathai78 New IL'ite

Hi, I am coming Copenhagon on July 20 , i Need accomodation details for rent for 2 people. please assist me.