Indians in America vs Indians in India...

Discussion in 'Return to India' started by anika987, Aug 9, 2015.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

"What do desis do when they go back to India"

There was a thread of this nature and an user pavi sums up the best reply for this thread.

however,cannot help but ask few points to my INdian friends in INdia.

1) NRI = Indians in America.nope!! INdians in Singapore,Malaysia,Aussie,south Africa,srilanka,UAE ,uk etc etc are also NRIs! Why are always Indians in America targeted.unknowingly,you are only talking as though we are superior.nobody is,be it here or there.

2) people back in India wants the malls like in USA,brands,KFC,taco bell,subway,dd,mc d,hard rock cafe,TGIF,Mac products,Estée Lauder etc etc but hate USA and the INdians who live there.ironical!!

3) not all Indians in India are not Gandhi and Indians in USA are desh drohi.

4) people in India can wear western outfits,use American brands,can speak English with an American accent,can talk ill about our country's pollution,poverty,traffic but if Indians in America talk about it,we are trying to show off.why is that?

5) some habits picks up when one lives abroad.sometimes slips out of the tounge,some by habit.IT IS OK.no one is showing off.

6) People there talk like "oh! We have everything here in INdia.we are awesome.we are better off!" Good! So be it.who is the real show off here?if India is improving everyone is really happy and we all want that but please do not forget that America is also improving just as India is.so if you are enjoying iPhones and other gadgets people here are not living in Stone Age.we get to enjoy those too.

7) people here miss India not for the KFC and Hard Rock Cafe in INdia but for the culture,temples,festivals,friendships etc.you see the basic necessities are fulfilled and we are not sitting here every day worrying whether the maid is coming today or not,or whether we will brave the traffic today.sometimes,when life falls on our lap,we fail to understand our blessings and crib for something else.sad but true.

8) some NRIs when they return back to INdia crib about USA.the truth is, be it INdia or America or anywhere else,"it is we who have the problem with the country and not the other way around" .for some, it is the case of sour grapes.

9) funny thing,those people who speak ill about people abroad,if they get an opportunity to come here,they will catch the first flight and be here!!

10) last but not the least,when desis here go back to our country,kindly treat them well.please do not try to rip them apart.people go back to get the sense of belonging and improve relationships.have u ever thought about this- why would someone give up a million dollar home,yard,privacy,peace life with less hazzels,BMW ,six figure salary to come back to a simpler life in India.not all can afford the above in INdia,still they leave to India.why so?just to be around our people.be nice.welcome them.make them feel at home and not drive them away.

It is with great agony That I am writing this thread.spent few months last yr in INdia.learnt a lot.i was missing our country a lot and wanted to see how I fit back there.i felt very unwelcome.friends were not the same,status is the in thing,people hardly meet each other,most do not even know who their neighbor is,I was ripped apart when people came to know I am an INdian from America.the jeers,the sarcasm etc was painful.i came across the above thread who had some valid points but please understand it is natural and it happens especially when u stay away more than 10 yrs.

we are all one.here or there.lets be together and let's accommodate each other.peace.

sindmani and Rajijb like this.

2. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Who is targeting whom? Why should anybody make you feel welcome? Did you have a welcome party when you first came to US? I don't think people have the need or time to rip others just because they live in the US.

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

There is no need to get angry.I just wanted people to get the point that Indians in USA are not bad.i believe u are an Indian from USA urself from your profile.i was talking for you.seems I am wrong.

I think if this is the way my post is taken,moderators can delete my thread.
    extremely sorry to have hurt anyone's feelings.

4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

There is no need to get angry.I just wanted people to get the point that Indians in USA are not bad .i believe u are an Indian from USA urself from your profile.i was talking for you.seems I am wrong.

I think if this is the way my post is taken,moderators can delete my thread.
    extremely sorry to have hurt anyone's feelings.

5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Looks like the owner of million dollor home , BMW , 6 figure salaries goes and shows off to the lesser mortals in india hence may face the hostility .

and no not every indian who live has a million dollar home , BMW or 6 figure salaries.

1 person likes this.
  6. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

why do anyone in India feel Indians in USA bad? I never face any incidents which you mentioned in Your post. I always feel happy whenever I visit India. I don't know what to tell....@anika987

sindmani and nuss like this.
  7. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Yeah, not everybody feels this gross injustice nor do they have this sense of entitlement. If people are leaving their BMWs and million dollar homes, it is their decision. They are not doing any favor to their fellow indians.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

In OP's defense, several Indians in India are resentful of Indians overseas, especially if they

- are in USA
    - have few extra $$$ to spare

Behind the happy smiles they are quite jealous and are looking for opportunity to put you down.

Lot of Indian cousins wanted to talk to me growing up, but my dad prevented it because he knew I was socially awkward (or at least, was told by "experts", but now I realize, everyone has different gifts, they need to LEARN to channel that energy), and the girls in India would make fun of me saying, "look at her, she is in USA, has some extra cheddar, and she's so dumb."

Really, girls/women can be so so so mean to each other. It's Universal. Flowers are never jealous of each other, they simply bloom.

And even with my abusive ex, he and his made fun of me, and taunted Americans saying they were selfish and money-minded (our family was fooled into sponsoring this good-for-nothing). One I over-read him text someone "I don't see a single nice girl here in USA, the girls back home are more beautiful and advanced".

This was pure pure jealousy and resentment. We weren't doing any sort of show-off.

So I totally understand OP's sentiments.

She is looking for something intangible in Incredible India because thousands of years ago it was Incredible, and Indians in India are seeing poor conditions and are resentful of OP.

OP doesn't need a party, she just needs simple, decent respect as a human being.

God knows Heart (not the petty stuff us humans see), God is guiding OP to the right people who will truly love and accept her for who she is.

And nothing wrong with having a welcome party :party

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  9. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

The BMW thing is a figure of speech implying a good life.sorry if I rubbed it the wrong way.some incidents which happened...

Three incidents happened which made me feel this way..
    1) I was introduced to my cousins friend.my cousin said that I came down for a vacation from USA.the friend was like" ah! Another American haha.u see the Indians there r kanjoos.some are "suyanalavadhi" (meaning selfish).oops sorry.hi how are you?"

2) an uncle asked me where in USA am from.i said ny .he was like "lots of Tamils only there" I said"uncle,there are lots of people from India and from different states also"he was lik"Hello,, do not think I have never been to USA.i have been there three times.enkiteyeva?( meaning to me itself)

3) a friend was like" people in American are so kanjoos.they act like they r rich but they argue even with rickshawallas"
    Out of curiosity just co zone earns in dollars why should one pay 100 rs for a place which is only 40rs?
    So many other things..Anyways I realized my mistake in posting my thread.
    I did not know I was hurtful.

1 person likes this.
  10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks chennai express for understanding.