1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indian women's love for "nighties"

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by MeenLoch, Aug 18, 2010.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Among many idiosyncrasies we possess, attachment to nightgowns/nighties/maxies.
    I hate to throw my old ones and I am forced to do so when it can better serve as a wash cloth than a night gown.

Even new ones bring me so much excitement that no other new clothes would give.
    Western culture suggest wearing clothes which show the woman in you than a "11" shaped tank and frankly no men like women in nighties( not nightgowns), but we continue wearing them day in and day out.

What else can let you be at ease with your figure, thin, fat, big, small, young or old everyone can wear them without having to worry about how they look.

What can beat the feeling of removing other clothes and slipping into "nighty" while you are home. It's a single piece that lets your body breathe some air while you refresh and start on household chores after returning from work or plainly crash on the bed in loose outerwear.

Write your experiences of enjoying wearing night gowns, better known among Indian women as "nighties"

2. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Meenloch

A nightie if you take it in the actual sense of the word should be worn at night before retiring to bed .. isnt it ?

But what have you here ? in my locality I find women of all ages and shapes, wearing nighties and going for their morning walks , going to the temple near the house, walking to the grocery store... does draping a dupatta ( or worse still a towel) make the 'nightie' a dress that can be used as a costume for day wear ?

I do agree slipping into a nightie after getting out of the work clothes and then going ahead with your house hold duties is good .. but wouldnt it be great if we would restrict it to within the confines of our home and not entertain visitors also in the same "thing "??

3. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

I agree with Bhooma on this. I hate to see women out on the streets in their nighties even with a dupatta on. Here in singapore also I see so many indian women wearing nighties to the park and shops. I always feel velyoorla vandum mannatta vangarangale ( these people are embarassing us in a foreign land).

Nightie is a night wear as simple as that... I mean is it that hard to get it. Its great to wear to sleep in, it is ok to wear it at home to do the chores, but after a bath it is always refeshing to put a salwar kameez or saree even when at home. It makes one feel so good about oneself.

Akila

4. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

I agree with Akila and Bhooma.Nighties look real bad with a towel or dhupatta worn on top. But for the night its definitely comfortable. I feel that women prefer it due to the ease of wearing it more than the comfort part of it :)

5. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

I agree fully with the above 3 comments. Nightie in my view is only for night, but not for dayyyyyyy. I got soooo fed up seeing the way it is worn around me that I stopped wearing those ever since I joined college. Now this has become one of the ethnic wear!! Need some change to it

6. jaishvats

jaishvats Bronze IL'ite

Dear Meenloch

i guess you wrote in praise of the nighty and all four of us have commented expressing our disapproval of those wearing it during the day :)

Having said that, for a good nite's sleep its definitely a very comfortable dress :)

7. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

I love Indian Nighties and use them only inside the house. But i have seen women form India ( I live in US) go for a walk. It doesn't look good at all.
    One of my friend ( of course form Chennai) calls nightie "National Costume".

8. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

hahaha...I wish I had conveyed it more clearly at first go..It's definitely a "visual torture" to see women wearing it outside homes and worse yet with dupattas or towels..rotfl..It's over-use of something.

I absolutely meant the comfort of wearing it at home when no guests are around..
    Thanks for the comments everybody.
    I found the singaporean comment interesting. For now, they have not started doing it here in US and I hope they don't.
    It's a perfect home companion but definitely not a day-wear/ outside cloth.

9. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meena,

I enjoyed your post... I am a Nighty lover too. I wear it all the time when I am in home.

As the previous posters said I really do hate ladies wearing it when they come for shops. But lets face it, being in hot climate like Chennai, ladies in small houses (where kitchen and the hall are the only rooms they have) cant wear saree when doing all the house chores. So they wear nighties. During their day they have to come to shops minimum 8 times, like getting washing powder, milk, curd, coffee powder, etc etc. They dont have fridge like us, or dont buy monthly groceries and stock in their home. So its understandable that they cant change into saree everytime they come out.

But when I went to temple in Velachery (a place in Chennai), there was a board saying "Women shouldn'd wear nighties and enter the temple". They wouldn't have had that board if there weren't women gone to the temple in nighties. That showed laziness of women. I hate that still. But nighties to nearby shops, comeon its understandable.

I started wearing nighties since I was 13 years old... I love very thick nighties with too much frills, so that I dont have to bother wearing in skirt. (sorry too much information :p)

Yeah I agree its the most comfortable cloth especially in summer.

There is one more thing I hate with women. A neighbor lady of mine, have at least 9 to 10 nighties which she wear regularly. She also have 4 to 5 expensive nighties. She wears that if she knows some guests coming to their home. She could wear saree/salwar when greeting guests, isn't it?

Oooh.... went long... Anyway I love nighties... God bless whoever invented it...

10. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Nightie is a comfortable dress, i agree but at night time only. I hate women wearing it all the day and walking in the roads.

andal