1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

for a change can you transfer that plate to my place too. i wish i can have something that i don't need to put in effort...

love the variety you have darling....

1 person likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

got up 4.00 actually.i wake up at 4.00 and 4.30 everyday. i knock off early. had to give ds and DD coffee..he has his exams..the kids are out of the house at 7.15/7.30. with breakfast, snacks and lunch... so.. me time is between 4.30 to 5.30...i walk , read..but today i am sitting and drooling in front of the monitor..thanks to you...

6 people like this.
  3. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

I like this thread so much as it has so many info from so many ppl....it is like knowledge sharing....thanks shanthi mam to start this good thread....

Inspired by this :) for yesterday's dinner i made oats adai ie, adding oats instead of rice...with that i mixed the small amount of vendayakeerai (grinded). It came out so yummy without any difference.

Keep going this info sharing thread, so nice when we read and do the stuffs which are actually healthy!

I have a doubt regarding the best oil for day to day use. I normally do not prefer deep frying, that too hardly monthly once i make vadams. so tell me which olive oil is best for cooking, also how much is the usage of oil per day whether 4 spoons (TB or TSP) for 2 adults is ok? pls suggest

2 people like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy,
    looks like we even cross posted! I'll mail my plate over and you send across yours! Thanks for all the tips on actually eating sambar/upperi type food with great alternatives to rice!

Happy Thiruvathira! Hope you find a unique thiruvathira recipe. I can check in early am tmr and plan my menu accordingly!

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Bhucat,
    Just saw your post. I used any olive oil I found. Most are so expensive in India. I used to buy the big cans when the Spar guys put it on sale. Ferraro or something starting with f was my favorite.
    Btw, 4 tsp oil/person sounds ideal. Try and see what you can come up with. Lesser the better. Who knows you may be able to make do with lesser. Even though we need the essential fatty acids from oils, I'm sure we get it elsewhere - milk,curd etc. I'd rather cut oil than give up on my thayir or coffee with full milk!

L

2 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

bhucat,

somebody who is in the oil industry said what we get as olive oil in india is a joke, something the connoisseurs will never touch with their hands. i will answer in elaborate later..today it is our power cut day.. yours too ??

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

i made vargu kali for myself..mil hated vella kali so we always had the salt version. i still do the salt version because of her.

so it was varagu.. will post pics in the evening or in a moment before i swtich of the pc.

1 person likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

20131218_092007.jpg

here you go laks. i used varagu or our local quinoa. roasted it just like rice for kali. and cooked it with roasted crushed moong dal.

the plate has nicely roasted (read that as charred) yam, carrot laced with chillies9+coriander+lime juice with a little black salt (treated as the second curry for today), and the 7 kari kuzhambu (mine is 11 though) and the sweet kali and curds...

the kids get a nicely fried yam curry, boondi raita, rice, sweet kali, kuzhambu, fryums and papad..

should do something about that shine that i get.. i know i can do it better, but no patience..

7 people like this.
  9. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

hi shanvy
    A lovely thread.Got valuable tips for cooking barley.All these days was cooking it wrongly and used to gulp the barley thayir .But yesterday ,enjoyed.thanks to you...

1 person likes this.
  10. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Shanvy,

I cant tell you how wonderful your lunch plate is. I have never ever cooked so many varieties for one meal. I feel awful at myself. I am full of questions for you

1. How do you get so much energy to cook 5 varieties every day?

2. How can you think of so many varieties to cook? I have hard time figuring out side dish for spinach dal.

3. You seem to enjoy cooking. On rare occasions, I enjoy. But mostly I don't like. Part of the reason is my dishes don't turn out very good and I get discouraged. I am no where close to newly married or anything like that.

I cant stop looking at your plate.

4 people like this.