1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lunch Ideas - Creating Balanced Vegetarian Meals

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Shanvy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Bavishya

Bavishya Platinum IL'ite

We should avoid tamarind?

1 person likes this.
  2. mrithulanaren

mrithulanaren Gold IL'ite

thanks shanvy mam for sharing the barley meal recipe and your efforts in sharing the pic of meal plate.. first time i heard about barley meal.
    Really this forum made/making my eating very sensible..
    thanks ..

-mrithula

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shanvy,

Really wonderful menus without rice. I have a few other suggestions here:
    broken wheat pongal with mixed vegetables along with raita
    broken wheat bisi bele with raita
    bansi rava upma with mixed vegetables

I too have started using cooked barley instead of rice. As for oats, I have it in the form of mixed veg upma.

Today's lunch and dinner has been moong dal-udid dal idlis with onion and capsicum vettakozhambu.

As for rice, I have a weakness for tadka curd rice. So now what I do is make the dahi first with tadka, onions, grated carrots, corns of fresh pepper pickle, mix some of it with rice for the BH and have just the dahi by itself (just like raita) so I get my fix of dahi too in the day. :-D

You are absolutely right. Healthy food does not have to be tasteless or boring. All it requires is a bit of imagination and mix and match. :-D

5 people like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy,
    i don't use the 15 beans by itself. I do add green moong, red chori(is this cow pea), whole brown masoor, rajma, black channa, urad dal, channa dal, tur dal and a handful of Sona massuri rice to make it crispy. I add a generous amount of methi seeds to this, otherwise it does not brown or crisp up! While grinding I add a whole lot of ginger and garlic along with dried red chillies and hing. Try ginger/garlic/hing to help with your digestive issues with the beans.
    Talking of beans tomorrow is thiruvathira and I'm making puyukku with beans and raw baby jack fruits and tapioca. That's lunch! I'm buying the canned jackfruits.

1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

bavishya, tamarind is said to increase the irritation in people having ulcer. that is the reason i suggested mahe to reduce tamarind.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

mrithula, thank you. even i learnt sensible eating after being in this forum, and then curiosity and imagination and enthusiasm took over and the outcome are some of the ideas that i started using.

2 people like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

This this is what i was expecting (Read narasus's coffee style tagline..idai idai thaan ethirparthaen..) the purpose of posting was to share ideas.

i make bisibelebath with quinoa,broken wheat, oats, ragi, pearl millets and even broken cornmeal.

biriyani, stirfries..any combinations.. sky is the limit once we start mix and match.

tadka rice..hmm.. those onions are small ones?? aw i am coming.. how about adding some curd chillies, i am transferring myself to your place with a snap.. i know i am not allowed curd chillies, but i cheat. i reduce the salt and make these chillies for myself. they are more hot then the regular so can't eat regularly...

pickles..i know buddy you are a connoisseur of south cooking the traditional and also you have spread to other styles..your dishes that you post pictures in the meets and otherwise are die for..infact it was your kalchatti that i am hooked on to. but scared of the klutz i happen to be with the increase in nerve compression on my right..but i am going to get one..

my dinner and breakfast will take different tangents..smoothies, porridges, different combination of flours into adai/roti/stuffed parathas...idlis..try cornmeal idli they turn out equally good..

add tadka to your idli batter and the idli's become more tastier with the versions like corn meal, ragi or besan ..

be with us and now do post your plate..yours are sure more colorful and inspiring..

and the new you that i got a glimpse of was :thumbsup

4 people like this.
  8. Laks09

Shanvy,
    All that talk about a avakkai made me crave pickle!!!!!
    Mine today. 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, a veggie stir fry(I used a frozen bag), Rajma/pinto beans masala, cranberry pickle and a baby kale blend salad with carrots and cherry tomatoes added (olive oil and vinegar dressing).
    This added to 360 cals.

image.jpg

8 people like this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

See all of us are kindred soulshugsmiley..we think alike.making our own mix..we are one whole garlic in a week family..i mean no garlic no ginger is more like our home..but i do sneak ginger a lot than garlic...

i even have tried ashta chooran, but it is not effective. so i avoid white peas.

one tip that i would give for people who feel gassy with legume is to wash them a few more times than what they usually do..just give the soaked beans and pulses a rub with your fingers..(hands would mean hard..) and then wash well.. these legumes have long chain starches which make them very hard to digest unless you have a good system. sprouting and steaming breaks the chain.

another tip from me would be to mix and match vegges and carbs such that it does not become difficult on the tummy. ever wonder why rajma chawal is easy on the tummy rather than roti and rajma..???

chakka ..i saw baby ones in the market when i went to pick up vegetables..was thinking of satchi and chitvishmam now you too laks..:coffee

yes i am sitting and replying to you instead of starting my cooking. for us neivedyam should be done by 6.00 in the morning as thiruvathirai star came in last evening and by 8 i think the star changes..

so off to make the kali and kuzhambu, and another ven pongal prasadh for the ganapathy in our place..

P.S i soaked dry fruits and nuts for cake and i am already gobbling spoons of it.. now did i say you can't cheat and be strict on your diet..my kids are searching for that last slice of apple cinnamon cake that was supposed to be in the tin :biglaugh

3 people like this.
  10. Laks09

Shanvy,
    Up early? Wow. Wish I could get out of bed before 645. Then it's a mad mad rush.

L